•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StellarVue 80mm Apochromatic Triplet f/6 refractor

Astrophotography Beginner DSO Equipment Imaging Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 30 January 2022 - 10:21 PM

Have you tested it out yet?  It looks a lot like the Nighthawk achromat, but some of these were converted with an upgraded objective lens into triplet apos.  The Nighthawk achromats did indeed have serial numbers in that range, and the serial number was imprinted on the clamshell ring just like yours, but that wouldn’t indicate whether the objective had been upgraded or not.  A picture of the inscription on the lens cell, if any, might be helpful in clarifying what model you actually purchased.  Nice looking scope regardless! waytogo.gif

I have not tested it out visually or imaging.

IMG_4842.small.JPG

Yes most of the EAF will work fine. The question of which focuser is still in the air. A rack and pinion is generally better than the Crayford style. Most Stellarvue's are R&P. The Feathertouch focuser is excellent. The Stellarvue 80 I had came with the Stellarvue focuser R&P which I thought was a very nice second choice. I understand there are a few older Stellarvue's with Crayford's but I've never seen one myself. That's why I ask. It could be why it's a lower price. 

Could I attach a motor to the Crayford Focuser?  Does it have to be a Feather Touch?

Edited by sandconp, 30 January 2022 - 10:32 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

#27 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:38 AM

Nice!  I don’t know for sure, but it looks like it may have originally been a Nighthawk achromat that was upgraded to a SV80ST triplet apo.  Great find for $500. :waytogo:

#28 scadvice

scadvice

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 31 January 2022 - 01:38 PM

I have not tested it out visually or imaging.

attachicon.gifIMG_4842.small.JPG

Could I attach a motor to the Crayford Focuser?  Does it have to be a Feather Touch?

You should be able to. Most EAF kits give you an assortment of sleeves to fit the most common focuser shaft sizes. If you have problems just post here and someone likely has the answer. The most common problems are having the right sleeve and cogging because the sleeve is wobbling on the shaft. Occasionally mounting the EAF to the focuser can be problematic. All problems are usually fixable.

I see a lot of people are using the ZWO EAF. I have not used one and there are other brands in that mid price I think. I use a Optec  Inc  FocusLynx which is priced higher but has some very nice features like quick release to hand mode. They have a lower priced one out now called a FocusLynx DirectSync  however I don’t know it’s differences from what I have. Easiest way to find out is to call them direct if you have an interest. There are of course lower priced EAF kits but I know nothing about them.

Edited by scadvice, 31 January 2022 - 01:40 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, DSO, Equipment, Imaging, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics