•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Working with L-enhance filter...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 revans

revans

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fitchburg, MA

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:50 PM

I've been using IC 405 and IC 410 as targets lately for the new Optolong L-enhance filter that just arrived.  The filter gives a strong H-alpha signal with dominant red or red-orange coloration in most processed images.  It was OK but I wanted something more subtle.  I split off the H-alpha and O-III using Sirl.  Then I emphasized the O-III in reprocessing and made the H-alpha a little gentler.  I tried to keep the sky background as natural as possible.  The top photo is what you tend to get from the L-enhance filter on these nebulae.  Below it is my version splitting off the O-III and H-alpha and working with layers etc. to emphasize the O-III and tame the H-alpha.  You may like the result, or not.  I tend to prefer the subtle shades that result. It wasn't until I created the tamer version that I think I can see a number of proplyds (proto-planetary disks) in both of these nebulae although someone will tell me its my imagination.  

IC405 IC410 B

IC405 IC410 H Web 1

Edited by revans, 27 January 2022 - 04:43 PM.

• Sheridan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics