•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Time-lapse of a full martian rotation (and a bit more) on a budget

Video Astronomy Planet
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hle

hle

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2022 - 04:59 PM

Hi all!

I share a short story and a little piece of work. Both of them are born out of several encounters.

The lockdowns of 2020 made me bring my (old) telescope out of the attic.

Then came the 1st encounter with a shy 10-year-old neighbour. He had his mum ask me if he could come and look through the telescope because he was fascinated by the sky but had never looked into an instrument.

The 2nd was simply work-related and unconnected to astronomy: I had to write tutorials and I wanted to brainstorm beforehand in order to collaborate effectively with a young filmmaker.

So I found an opportunity to realise a decade old ambition: to record a full rotation of a planet (with what I had on hand smile.gif ).

As a challenge I tried to achieve the whole thing with open-source software.

Several outstanding videos of spinning planets are available online.

As far as I know, these animations are created by mapping a “world map” of the planet on a computer globe (a homemade “blue marble”).  The world map is made of a few high-res pictures stitched together to cover all the planet time zones. Then a software creates an animation.

For my part, I wanted to make a "real" time-lapse of a whole rotation just for the sake of it.
Hopefully, Mars was in opposition...
It all started with a handful of images acquired at 15-minute intervals to show the real-time rotation of the planet to a little boy in awe...

Of course, there’s no high-resolution ambition.

I also have a new animation in mind for which I will ask some questions later.

(no advertising or monetisation associated with the YTube video of course).

• Sunspot, PrestonE, John Miele and 10 others like this

#2 John Miele

John Miele

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 28 January 2022 - 05:54 PM

WOW! All I can say is BRAVO! So well put together. You could be a professional filmaker if you wanted!

I love that you used old school camera tech to boot. Cannot wait to see your Moon movie. And tell those Hedgehogs to leave you alone...lol!

Thank you so much for sharing this excellent work!

cs...John

#3 AJamesB

AJamesB

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kihei, HI

Posted 28 January 2022 - 05:55 PM

Cool, that's interesting!

#4 Aquat0ne

Aquat0ne

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:09 PM

Great work and a nicely done film too.

#5 hle

hle

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:46 PM

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

I extracted the main footage to make 30 second videos more suitable for the typical patience on the Internet :

The carousel is made of the 90 time-lapse images spinning side by side. Each image is shifted by +/- 15 minutes in relation to its neighbour.

I also posted a first attempt of a time-lapse of a full lunation here.

• Aquat0ne and Borodog like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video Astronomy, Planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics