•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Multiple USB adapter for using multiple equipement

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CSW

CSW

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2022 - 07:44 AM

Silly question number 587 and 588 from me! I am about to purchase an RS 232 serial cable for my Celestron AVX mount. Developing my astrophotography activities.  So I would have two cameras using the existing USB ports and I would need to connect an RS 232 serial cable via a usb adapter as my laptop is a newish model with no port for this type of cable. It only has two USB ports in total. Is their any reason I cannot add an adapter with multpile USB ports to allow me to have more than two things connected? Thank you for any advice you can offer. The second question is regarding which serial cable to get for my AVX mount. I know the handsets can vary a bit depending on age?!

Claire

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 January 2022 - 08:19 AM

Hello Claire,    I have a Paramount ME that has RS 232 connection,  I first bought the adapter cable with the FDTI chipset only to find the cable without the chipset worked better.  Both worked, but after homing the mount - using the cable with the chipset - I would get a message on screen saying mount not homed.  With the regular adapter cable,  no message. Mount works as if it was 2001 again.  

I did not have anyone to ask, not many people out there with a ME that did not upgrade the control board.   It was not too bad though, just had to buy the two different cables to figure out which one I needed.  It isn't often, but this time I needed the cheaper cable.  I did by a second cable to have as a spare.       Joe

• CSW likes this

#3 nic35

nic35

Apollo

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:19 AM

Claire

You need an RS232 cable to connect to some Celestron mounts through the hand controller.

Does your hand controller have a telephone-like jack on the bottom, or is it a USB mini connection ?

If a phone jack, you need the rs232 cable.  If  USB mini,you can use any USB mini cable, as the hand controller has the serial conversion chipset inside itself.

But either way yes, you can use a USB hub.  Connect your PC to the hub, and then tie everything else (mount, cameras, electronic focusers, etc) into the hub.  Its probably a good idea to use a powered hub.

I hope this helps.

My Evolution mount came with the telephone jack handset - I eventually picked up a used one with the USB mini connector to eliminate the bulky rs232 cable I had.

john

Edited by nic35, 29 January 2022 - 09:20 AM.

• CSW likes this

#4 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 29 January 2022 - 09:46 AM

I agree with nic35.
Use a powered hub.
I’ve found it’s imperative with my CGEM and cameras to start them *before* powering-up my computer. If I start the computer first, my apps like PHD can’t ’find’ the equipment.
  • psandelle, Raginar and CSW like this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Aurora

Posted 29 January 2022 - 10:59 AM

I agree with nic35.
Use a powered hub.
I’ve found it’s imperative with my CGEM and cameras to start them *before* powering-up my computer. If I start the computer first, my apps like PHD can’t ’find’ the equipment.

This may be a function of the COM ports being assigned differently when you attach things in different orders or to different hub slots. If you check the Device Manager (assuming you are in Windows) first, you can see which COM ports have been assigned to what and set them in the ASCOM device hub befor trying to connect.

• psandelle and CSW like this

#6 CSW

CSW

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:01 AM

Thank you for the help people. Many questions I need to address. Ill look at my handset first. Is a powered USB hub the same as an adapter I put in to usb port which then gives me a few new usb ports?

Edited by CSW, 30 January 2022 - 11:09 AM.

#7 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 January 2022 - 08:40 AM

Thank you for the help people. Many questions I need to address. Ill look at my handset first. Is a powered USB hub the same as an adapeter I put in to usb port which then gives me a few new usb ports?

It is basically the same.  A powered hub has a wall transformer to power the hub. You can get them as fancy as you want.     Joe

Example

https://www.newegg.c...&quicklink=true

https://www.newegg.c...&quicklink=true

• CSW likes this

#8 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 30 January 2022 - 09:17 AM

The USB ports on most computers often don’t supply enough amperage to support the multiple devices that astronomers tend to use. A powered USB hub helps maintain the current and voltage needed for these devices to operate and communicate with each other..
  • CSW and OldManSky like this

#9 CSW

CSW

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2022 - 11:01 AM

handset image
Album: Handset images
1 images
0 comments

This is an image of the port on my handset. I think it is a usb mini? Thanks again for any help

Claire

• Sacred Heart likes this

#10 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 January 2022 - 11:17 AM

This is an image of the port on my handset. I think it is a usb mini? Thanks again for any help

Claire

Looks about right.  What does the other side go to,  computer???  USB A???  My connection is from the mount to the computer - no hand set controller.   DB9 / RS232 to USB A    Joe

#11 nic35

nic35

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2022 - 05:04 PM

Claire

It is a mini USB.  So, no special cable needed.  Connect the handset to the mount in the normal manner, then connect the USB mini port to the USB hub using a standard USB mini to USB A cable.  Connect the Hub to your computer.  You are doing this to control the mount via computer, correct ?  If all you use your laptop for is computer control of the mount then technically you don't need the hub.   Go directly to the computer.  

If you are adding other devices like a camera, an electronic focuser, a filter wheel, etc. they should also be connected to the hub.  You will then be able to control all the devices from the computer, often with the same software package.

If you intend to use this somewhere that a conventional electrical out let is not available, you can usually power most everything through the USB hub, using a 12v battery.  The mount itself and any dew control devices you have cannot be powered through the hub. 

Note that the power input to some USB hubs use input jacks that are not the normal 5.5x2.1 barrel connector.  For example, the Sabrent hub I use has a 3.5tx1.53 connector.

Fire away if you have other questions.

john

Edited by nic35, 30 January 2022 - 05:18 PM.

• CSW likes this

#12 nic35

nic35

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2022 - 05:14 PM

Looks about right.  What does the other side go to,  computer???  USB A???  My connection is from the mount to the computer - no hand set controller.   DB9 / RS232 to USB A    Joe

SH-

But your mount is not a Celestron  AVX mount! 

The aux ports on the Celestron are used for Celestron devices like the star sense and wifi dongle.  They do not communicate via RS232 protocol.

The vagaries of Celestron's ports are discussed here:  https://www.cloudyni...s#entry10912387

#13 rhaskins

rhaskins

Viking 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:45 PM

I have AVX, same controller USB interface, I use a powered USB hub like below. without a powered hub you can be having all types of issues. I have moved on to Pegasus Astro Ultimate Power Boxes that have powered USB hubs built in.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rick

#14 CSW

CSW

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:11 AM

Thank you all. So I will be connecting my handset as normal to my AVX mount. 

I then need to connect two cameras; 183c for imaging and 120mini for guiding. I need more usb ports than my computer has

I need to purchase therefore a powered USB hub ? [USB A?] POwer cable seems very short on these?

I need to purchase an RS232 also to connect handset to laptop [via an adapeter as my laptop has no serial port] Will cables need to be quite long?

forgive me if I am not getting this...

Claire

#15 nic35

nic35

Apollo

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:25 AM

CSW

You do not need an rs232 cable.  These were needed with the old style telephone plug connector handsets.  But you have the new style, that has the device that converts the usb signal to a serial signal built in.  Celestron made something simpler for once

You connect the handset to the mount, and then connect the bottom of the handset to the USB hub.  Connect both cameras to the hub also.  Connect the hub to your computer.

I use this  hub  https://smile.amazon...ie=UTF8&psc=1  

WIth your rig you need only 3 ports, so you can use the extra for a future focuser, filter wheel etc.  Or, buy a bigger one right now.

You will need to get a USB extension cable like this one https://smile.amazon...le?ie=UTF8&th=1

With a cord this long, I suspect the powered USB hub is essential.

Connect this cable to your pc.

Its unclear if you power your scope with a battery, or with a wall wart.  Either way, use a splitter to power both the mount and hub.  A splitter like this https://smile.amazon...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

You will need to pay attention to the size of the power connector on the hub, and plan accordingly.  

FWIW, I have used a talentcell li-ion battery attached to the mount using scotch brand heavy duty hook and loop fastener.  https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the 12v outlet to power the mount and the usb to power the hub.  With the sabrent hub I use, I need an "unconventional" USB  cable  https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK?

Edited by nic35, 01 February 2022 - 09:35 AM.

• CSW likes this

#16 CSW

CSW

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2022 - 07:31 AM

Awe, thank you so much . This has been extremely helpful. We learn somwthing new every day, thank goodness. In my fairly isolated place doing astronomy and astrophotography on my own with no access to a club this is one of THE most helpful communities which I refer to frequently. It is lovely to know that you are all out there and willing to help folks.... 

Thank you again. bow.gif

Time for more shopping!!!!lol.gif

Claire

• Raginar likes this

#17 CSW

CSW

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2022 - 02:01 PM

In the message above from 'Apollo' on the 1st February, you say thet I can connect the bottom of my hanset to the USB hub? I am not sure what to use as the port, as seen in the image above, is a small port? Perhaps there is a cable which I need for the handset to USB hub?

Thanks again

Claire

#18 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 20 February 2022 - 02:14 PM

Yes. If you have a hub it will have a bunch of what are called USB A ports on it. Here's what  you need from Amazon to get you started. Just plug everything into the hub and them plug the hub output port into your computer. Here's an example

• nic35 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics