•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Will a collimator help or let ITE do it ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2004 - 05:50 PM

I`ve had my Intes (M603) for just over a month now and i have never been able to go over 100x without the image going soft. Both Jupiter and Saturn are great until i push beyond this limit. I`ve ditched the diagonal,no change, i`ve collimated using Polaris, secondary was only off by a smidge.Are my mirrors out of alignment with the mechanical axis and will a laser collimator help me to line them back up ?
Thanks for your help !!!

#2 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:48 PM

If seeing conditions have been decent, something is wrong - Maks have fewer collimation problems than SCTs, and the image should be clear and crisp well into the 200Xs.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:14 AM

Seeing has`nt been the best for several weeks but i see no more detail in my 6" than i could in my 3" refractor.

#4 rodrake

rodrake

Ranger 4

Posted 23 May 2004 - 08:49 AM

Find a mag 2 or so star high in the sky and focus on it at 150x or so. Compare the image to the Pickering Seeing Scale to see how stable the air is. If the image is dancing around wildly (Pickering 1-4), seeing is most likely the problem. If the image is stable (Pickering 7-10), do a star test. Lot's of info here on star testing if you do a search. Basically, move focus in and out until you see about 5 rings and compare the images. Rings should be round and concentric on both sides of focus. If they are not, you may have a collimation problem.

#5 PJF

PJF

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:13 AM

These Intes Maks are renowned for a couple of things - being excellent optical performers; and taking a very long time to cool down. The bigger versions come with built-in fans to facilitate cooling.

It is important to allow the scope to cool to the outside ambient temperature before use. If possible, leave the scope outside from the evening onwards, and/or store it in an unheated garage or shed.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:53 AM

Both sides of focus are equal in appearence. i.e. intra and extra are soft at the edges, showing hard to distinguish concentric rings. This is after cooldown period.

#7 Scott

Scott

Vostok 1

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:14 PM

Pass on sending it back to ITE...too risky! Try an artificial star. The seeing conditions will be great and you can take your time!! or try this method first.... http://www.mira.org/...ures/collim.htm
Regards, Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics