•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Japan red tube Tascos - decent or junk?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

I got 2 japanese red tube tascos I figured I could have fun with for 20 bucks. I know at some point Tascos really sucked but when did the quality go down? Are all the Japan scopes decent enough, or did some of them have trouble too?

When did the quality on Tascos go down? For 20 bucks complete with tripods and ep's I figured I'd have fun messing wih them. I just want to know whats the best to be expected. The model numbers are 9F and 56T.

#2 bbyrd

bbyrd

Messenger

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

where the pics ? It would help to upload some so we can see what you have....

#3 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

ok, hold on. I dont wanna get "the this thread is worthless without pics" stuff :) I dont have it yet so I just have the sellers pics.

#4 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

heres some small pics, enough to give you a idea...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1205221-de_1.JPG

#5 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

colorful little things....I'm not gonna post the other ones...comes with at least 5 ep's including a zoom ep ( 6 to 18 mm), 2 2x barlows, the lens caps, and some weirdness I cant tell what it is. I hoping being japan scopes that they will be decent optically. For 20 bucks what the hell? :yay:

#6 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

The front one, with the OTA backwards on the mount, is probably a more stable setup than the spindly legged one in the rear. It looks like it might be a little older too. Optically, its pretty hard to screw up a 2.4" objective as long as it is glass and air-spaced and manufactured with some sort of quality control. Check for three aluminum specers between the doublets. This is usually indicitive of a better made lens assembly than cemented lenses. Over time, the glue tends to dry and warp the glass. If these are Japanese scopes from the 80's, they are probably slightly undercorrected, but still pretty good performers. A star test should verify any optical defects like astigmatism or wedge. OTOH, for the most part, many Japanese .965 EPs supplied stock with these scopes, even as far back as the 50's, were pretty junky compared to Zeiss' offerings from the same era. I'd recommend a hybrid diagonal and some basic modern 1.25" orthos and plossls if you plan to use them. For what you paid, they are good portable instruments to learn optics on. They might make good guidescopes in later years, or you could try your hand at making better mounts for them from iron pipe fittings, for instance. I don't know too many people who consider these years as 'collectable', as they do the earlier white tubed Tascos, etc from the 50s through early 70s. Still, not a bad deal.

Keith

#7 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

Oh, BTW...check for a large baffle immediately behind the objectives. In alot of department store stuff these days, the edges of the lenses are really bad, and large baffles improve the images somewhat at the expense of turming a 60mm scope into a 40mm scope. If no large baffle exists, this would be a good sign of a better build.

Keith

#8 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

I had the scope in the background briefly. If it's the same one, it's a 40 or 50mm scope stopped down to about 30mm. Poor quality singlet lens, looks like windowpane glass. Tiny TINY poor quality finder. Alt-Az camera-style mount with 1/4x20 thread. Looks very very similar to the one I had. Mine was in terrible condition and I eventually scrapped it. I don't know anything about the one in the front, but I had an old Japanese Jason (Explorer I think?) that had an integrated finder like that one in the photo. It used a flip-mirror to re-direct light from the objective to the finder. Worked, but it's not the best finder.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#9 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:33 PM

ok sounds good....should be arriving in a few days. I'm going to inspect and see whats what. Maybe I can get some surplus stuff to improve. I'll use them as cheap training fodder. :thewave:

#10 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:44 AM

I'm pretty sure that the first scope I ever had was one like the back one. A 200X astro model. 50mm lens, 6mm & 10mm Huygens eyepieces, 2X Barlow, and erecting lens. Soon after that, I got a C4.5/Ploaris mount combo. The rest is history. Now, I'm a certified equipment junkie... :lol:

#11 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:31 AM

Junk, but if cheap enough then they are OK to cart around in the back of the truck. (The first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun.) The white Tascos are the good ones. Cheers.

#12 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:05 AM

20 bucks for everything? I'd do it again just to have something to mess with. :poke:

#13 Joneil

Joneil

Vendor (O'Neil Photo)

• Vendors

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

Be careful, and take a real good look, just in case. I've seen one of those 55mm Vixen flourite refractors in person - a *Gosh, dang dibbity dag nabbit* little tube, horrible focuser, extremely excellent optics. The OTA looks a lot like the rear scope in the picutre.

These are very rare and uncommon telescopes, and the vast majority of the red tascos are probally your average department store type of thing, but you just never know until you check.....
:)

joe

#14 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

how would I know, joe? I'm no expert at his stuff by any means. How do I tell?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics