•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clark found and sold on Ebay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 conus

conus

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:29 AM

This was amazing. Someone found a 3" Clark in their attic and sold it for $3400.00 on Ebay. It looks like its in great shape. The seller said it had been in the attic for 70 years and that he didn't know anything about scopes. There couldn't be too many of these left that haven't been rediscovered.

#2 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

Not sure about people's attics, but I wonder how many old refractors and/or parts thereof are lurking in the storage rooms of educational institutions or museums??
Forgotten about, stashed away in some dusty back corner or buried under piles of other stuff.
At the university I'm at, a 5" Brashear OTA was rediscovered back in the 1980's, when our local astronomy club was allowed to dig around the Physics Dept. equipment room. It was in a big wooden crate that nobody had touched since the 1950's. Further research revealed that the scope had been housed in a small rooftop observatory on campus, but Hurricane Hazel blew the dome off the structure and rather than rebuild, the school decided to mothball everything.
I've heard of larger achromatic objectives being lost for many decades and then turning up when someone opened a mysterious mahogany box that nobody had a recollection of.
Record keeping being what it is at some facilities, we'll probably see that sort of thing happening every now and then! :shocked:

#3 conus

conus

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

I'm sure there a still a few around. Herman Melville's "Billy Budd" wasn't published until 1924 because no one even knew of its existance. It was discovered in the early twenties, when a literary biographer found the original manuscript at the bottom of an old trunk while rumaging around the attic of a place where Melville once lived.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

A little OT but finding old Clark refractors may not be too rare. Probably a lot of them stuffed away unseen for decades. I have wondered just how many RV-6’s there are tucked away around the country. Some years ago at least three local club members told me about their RV-6 telescopes sitting in the closet and when I offered to buy one, each told me no that they would hold on to it. Subsequently I found out that many other members had them in closets. Those telescope are probably still in those closest and it makes e wonder just how many other people have them tucked away.

#5 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

In my own work on Yahgan, a critically endangered language (well with just one fluent speaker in here late 70's that kinda counts as moribund), I regretted that most of the documentation on the language had been lost over a century ago (when it came, BTW, into the hands of Frederick Albert Cook, who some of you may know as one of the claimants as the first to attain the North Pole). Long story.

As it happens, I accidentally discovered one of the missing documents, a grammar manuscript, mouldering at the US Library of Congress- unseen and unconsulted by ANY scholar since it ended up there, who-knows-when.

So yeah, things of value do turn up, now and then....

Jess Tauber

#6 Talstarone

Talstarone

Lunar Man

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

A true Alvin Clark Made Refractor :bow:. The true great refractor that made the current day refractor the scope and the market it enjoys today. I believe i would pay money just to see this scope not even counting having a chance to see through it. :grin:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics