•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Two Clarks purchased by friend

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:49 AM

A friend of mine just bought the observatory and contents of an old eccentric astronomer about 30 miles from here. It includes two homebuilt scopes, a 16" f/7 and 12.5" f/8 and two Clark refractors, a 4" and a 10".

#2 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:55 AM

A friend of mine just bought the observatory and contents of an old eccentric astronomer about 30 miles from here. It includes two homebuilt scopes, a 16" f/7 and 12.5" f/8 and two Clark refractors, a 4" and a 10".

Are you at liberty to mention the selling price, Don?
Just curious... :question:

#3 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

He said it was much less than he expected. The old guy was glad to see it go to someone who would appreciate and take care of it.

#4 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

He said it was much less than he expected. The old guy was glad to see it go to someone who would appreciate and take care of it.

Sounds cool, Don. :cool:

The 10" Clark must be a real jaw-dropper!!

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

It is. I visited this observatory back in the early 80s. Now that this guy has bought it, I intend to look through it even more. The 4" is not in it's original tube, it's been remounted, but it's still a Clark.

#6 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

I pulled this off the other thread.

I hope to have some images in a few months. The scopes are being cleaned and fixed up.

#7 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

The scopes are being cleaned and fixed up.

thats the best thing. Stuff is Stuff but history cant be regained. I've fixed/restored thousands of old antique radios over the last 25 years, and the best thing about it was always the reaction from the owners when you turned on something that had not played in years.

I fixed a 1929 Atwater Kent for a old guy in Baltimore years ago. I had the radio playing when he got there. he walked over and put his hands on it and just broke down sobbing. Turns out he had listened to almost every historical event before ww2 on it together with his dad, listened to FDR say the only thing we have to fear is fear itself and when his dad passed away, the radio got put in the attic. That was in 1949. It stayed up there until he saw our ad. That radio was the last link he had to his dad, and it worked again.

So not only do you save history, you make people very happy. Scopes or radios, it's worth saving.

#8 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

This guy has been collecting and restoring scopes for years. Does a fine job too.

#9 Joel F.

Joel F.

Apollo

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:13 AM

Please give us report when you do some observing!

Thanks!!!

#10 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:58 AM

That's a good story. I too am always happy to see something salvaged and made to work again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics