•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Found a microscope!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:42 AM

WHOOOOOOUUUU!

Look what I got my hands on people! (it's not mine yet but almost!)

A powerful professional grade compound microscope smile.gif but It needs some repairs.. the focuser has some problems, it's very stiff. I'll inspect it in the next days.

It's a brand and model:

Leitz - Diaplan

Oh my god (((; What do you think?

g69bLE6.jpg?2

• Jon Isaacs, JohnnyMac, dswtan and 3 others like this

#2 RichD

RichD

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 15 February 2022 - 11:21 AM

Very nice! these were quite high end microscopes in the 80s and 90's. We have a few where I work, they are old, but still good. Enjoy!

Here's a link with some useful info;

http://www.microscop...dw-diaplan.html

• N3p, j.gardavsky and Brianm14 like this

#3 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2022 - 12:11 PM

Very nice! these were quite high end microscopes in the 80s and 90's. We have a few where I work, they are old, but still good. Enjoy!

Here's a link with some useful info;

Ahh I am glad to know that!! thanks for the web page, looks useful.

I can tell you I looked at a sheet of toilet paper with the yellow objective and shocked.gif  HEEEEEE it's a world of fibers in HD, like a deep tunnel of fibers, it's INCREDIBLE. Not meant to look at these thick objects but it works.

I am going to literally cry if the technician calls me and tell me that they have decided to keep it.

Both eyepieces are clean and equal it looks like a 50d AFOV

Edited by N3p, 15 February 2022 - 12:11 PM.

#4 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 15 February 2022 - 03:06 PM

Congratulations on the Leitz Diaplan!

This is a professional grade microscope for biology, histology, etc.

I am using its little brother, the Dialux 20, for the incident light microscopy on the polished slabs of the paleontology samples, and of the minerals,

https://www.cloudyni...3_11919_388.jpg

Here are some links, which might be helpful,

and a copy of a short intro,

https://www.yumpu.co...l-microscopy-uk

The recommended standard eyepieces are from the series Leitz Periplan GW.

Because of their CVD correction, these EPs are not particularly well suited for the astronomy telescopes.

With the Leitz optics, it makes sense to spend some more money on the Leitz APO objectives, or at least on the Leitz Fluotar objectives.

Enjoy your microscope,

JG

• N3p and Brianm14 like this

#5 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2022 - 07:27 PM

Congratulations on the Leitz Diaplan!

This is a professional grade microscope for biology, histology, etc.

I am using its little brother, the Dialux 20, for the incident light microscopy on the polished slabs of the paleontology samples, and of the minerals,

https://www.cloudyni...3_11919_388.jpg

Here are some links, which might be helpful,

and a copy of a short intro,

https://www.yumpu.co...l-microscopy-uk

The recommended standard eyepieces are from the series Leitz Periplan GW.

Because of their CVD correction, these EPs are not particularly well suited for the astronomy telescopes.

With the Leitz optics, it makes sense to spend some more money on the Leitz APO objectives, or at least on the Leitz Fluotar objectives.

Enjoy your microscope,

JG

Hey thanks!

I started to read just now, all of these links, I'll come back with some question I am sure of it if you guys are still here! @j.gardavsky and @RichD

• Brianm14 likes this

#6 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:50 PM

I looked at the microscope, a first rough observation. It has 2 obvious problems, first, the light and the voltmeter gets no electricity like if something was dead on the electronic card.

- Checked the power wire, it's ok.

- I checked the light, it looks in good condition, it's the halogen 12v 50w

- I check the continuity on the fuse, it's ok and visually the fuse looks ok.

- The voltmeter on the light outlet connector will pick up nothing at all.

- The voltmeter won't power on.

By looking at the circuit board and what's attached to it:

- A 120v power input

- What looks like a dimmer for the light

- And the light connector.

My first question.. I don't understand why this card has so many huge parts, huge capacitors, to control a very small 50w lamp. Bellow are pictures of the card, any suggestions are welcomed of what I should do next. smile.gif it's me against an circuit board. 

IMG-003622.jpg

IMG-003722.jpg

IMG-003822.jpg

IMG-003922.jpg

IMG-004922.jpg

IMG-005422.jpg

#7 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 16 February 2022 - 06:32 AM

Re #6

I am very sorry, but I can't help with the electricity, it is not my field.

It may be something wrong with the circuity on the card or on the potentiometer which control the dimming.

Best way would be to contact the Leica Service for help, or to feed the 12V halogen lamp through an external voltage convertor.

Best,

JG

• Brianm14 likes this

#8 Brianm14

Brianm14

Ranger 4

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:52 AM

Oh, you have picked a very fine microscope brand and model.  Great job!  Just maybe not the right example.  

What are your intended applications, beyond toilet tissue?  tongue2.gif (Just teasing you.)

Check out the excellent links ASAP.

If you search, you’ll find the microscopy references that I recommended in other microscope threads.

—————————————

Quotes from knowledgeable posts of -jgardavsky.

“With the Leitz optics, it makes sense to spend some more money on the Leitz APO objectives, or at least on the Leitz Fluotar objectives.” (#4)

-Good upgrade, my pick, too, but pretty advanced.  Perhaps use it first as the optics may be (ARE) just dandy as they are for YOUR applications.  I suspect you’ll never feel the need to upgrade ($$$) if you wait.  Do you know how to properly set up a compound microscope for critical lighting?  (You can learn -check general references.)  If not, upgrading the optics will definitely not be a good use of money right now.

-The power supply is typical (robust, massive and complicated) for that time.  Power must be extemely stable, and the unit safe.  This was the way Leitz addressed those criteria,  Again, check the links.  Become informed before you buy.

“to feed the 12V halogen lamp through an external voltage convertor.”  (#7)

-Should work.  Maybe.  But do you want your first microscope to come with issues built in?

-Or (better):  don’t buy the microscope unless they discount it enough for you to buy replacement part(s).

-Or (best):  find a microscope w/o issues.  Just my assessment.  

I have one (or two) of these nice microscopes.  Plus a very sweet Dialux 20.  All favorites of mine.  (Nice scopes, but not particularly rare.)  Have learned to be very careful about buying into problems with any used microscopes.  That way, avoiding breaking the bank and the heart

Red flag #1:   Illumination power supply.  I think you are unlikely to fix it (difficult and uneconomical).  Replacement parts are the answer.  $$$ and finding them.

Red flag #2:  The “focuser” issue is a bit worrisome.  Might just be adjustments, simple or complex.  Or relubrication.  Are you willing to buy specialty greases?  I have several small tubes/jars that cost me >$60 each.

Me?  I’d pass.

Find a used, older microscope (there are many from Nikon, Olympus, Leitz (Leica)) in full working order.  Use extra funds to swap out the oil immersion objective for say, a 20x.  You'll likely find the oil immersion procedures tiresome.

Leica service may be helpful for information (probably not).  Very expensive for actual repairs.  Start with the links.

I successfully purchased most of my 20 or 25 compound microscopes on eBay by being very careful, very patient, and by asking a lot of questions.  Some were from private owners or via oddball sites such as Goodwill Online.

CS, and fair sailing into microscopy,

Brian

Edited by Brianm14, 16 February 2022 - 09:38 AM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#9 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 16 February 2022 - 09:57 AM

Re post #7

Brian's comments are very helpful., I agree,

but so far I understand it, the microscope has been already purchased.

And now, it's all about, how to bring the microscope to its primary functionality.

Regarding my microscopes, I have at the moment only 2 for lab use, I have checked them of course, before buying.

However, my incident light microscopy and microphotography of the fossil farns cellular issues, and of some polished minerals, is technically not as demanding as the biology, etc.

Best,

JG

• Brianm14 likes this

#10 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:11 AM

Hello thanks for the ideas.

The telescope was given to me for free actually, it was in storage with other old microscopes and that one was simply too old it was scheduled for trash. (Probably too expensive to repair)

Yes the goal right now is to put it back in working condition, there is no rush.

LIGHT PROBLEM SOLUTION 1 - EXTERNAL VOLTAGE CONVERTER.

I'll investigate that path of using an external voltage converter for the 12v 50W lamp, it's a good idea, I saw one on amazon which is dimmable but overpriced. It's a matter of finding one at the right price.

LIGHT PROBLEM SOLUTION 2 - Replacing parts on the circuit board.

And I will investigate the circuit board  myself a bit, there are a couple of parts I can test myself, such as switches and fuse assembly, maybe the dimmer, the capacitors as well... I'll learn about electronics a bit.

• j.gardavsky and Brianm14 like this

#11 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2022 - 11:27 AM

I called my electronic store, they have a Transformer for Halogen 12v up to 75w dimable, 25CAD and for the dimmer I can use a lamp wire simply, 20$ they also have it in store.

Total cost would be around 55$, not bad smile.gif

• j.gardavsky likes this

#12 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 February 2022 - 07:37 PM

I've got light!!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

IMG-003322.jpg

• j.gardavsky likes this

#13 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 17 February 2022 - 06:18 AM

The first step done!

Congratulations,

JG

• N3p likes this

#14 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2022 - 10:22 AM

The first step done!

Congratulations,

JG

Thanks but almost, the dimmer on the microscope don't work when hooked to the 12v output, between the transformer and the light.

it's a 27 Ohm to 0 Ohm rotary control and the light will go on at 0 Ohm. But if I turn the button a bit only, the light will go out directly.. so it's not possible to dim the light on the 12v side with it.

The wires on that dimmer, which is built in the microscope, are too small in my opinion to handle 120v, so it must be a control that works exclusively with the original transformer and circuits.

I have another 120v 300W lamp dimmer and my new transformer is dimmable... Tonight I will try to hook that dimmer on the 120V side of the transformer, on the input.

The guy at the electronic store was not sure of how to install a dimmer for an halogen light, if it's usually on the 120v or the 12v side. If it's usually on the 12v side, I don't have the right dimmer.

Edited by N3p, 17 February 2022 - 10:23 AM.

#15 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2022 - 07:57 PM

The first step done!

Congratulations,

JG

I've got some success today, the dimmer works like a charm on the 120v, the microscope is VERY impressive, I mean WOW, this is really amazing. I was given an old slide today to test it.

This is the microscope with the old transformer:

IMG-003322.jpg

And with the new one + external dimmer.

IMG-003922.jpg

The microscope again, you can see the dimmer to the right.

IMG-004222.jpg

And this is my first biological observation with the lowest power objective, I think the yellow or the green one. I can see that it's a very old sample but it's totally amazing.

IMG-004122.jpg

I'll come back later with more observation, I have 4 objectives working out of 5 there is 1 lens with which it is impossible to see a thing with.

That one.

170/0.17

NPL / Fluostar

40/0.70

Phaco 2

The optics needs some cleaning, I can see smudges in the lens... I'll investigate that in detail tomorrow.

#16 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:20 PM

I think this might be one of the most incredible thing I've ever seen in my life looking in that microscope.. i barely have words to describe how fantastic..

The 40/0.70 works finally it was a matter of adjusting.. something with the light, it looks like contrast phase, it will show invisible things with other..

OH MY GOD!!!

• j.gardavsky likes this

#17 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:04 PM

@RichD

@j.gardavsky

@Brianm14

My investigation went further yesterday, I have a couple of questions if you want to help me again.

PRIORITY 2
- The condenser needs to be cleaned, it's inducing an important amount of junk in the images.. it's VERY dirty. there is oil on it and everything.. Now I understand that a condenser with old hardened oil.. it might not be possible to salvage it.. my question can they be cleaned and should I try to clean it anyway?

PRIORITY 1
- The first priority is the focuser, but I need to remove the condenser and the whole stage before I can access the inside of the tower, so it's possible to see what could be wrong with that stiff focuser. I noticed that it's slipping a bit also. It's very stiff and difficult to move up and down as if the lock nut was stuck.

I don't have a service manual to dismantle the stage and everything attached to it.. so it's going to be improvisation. Do you see anything critical I should take special care of before I begin? Like if it''s required to have lab technology to calibrate something, anything critical like that?

Or should I simply support the whole stage assembly and remove the 4 screws on the white plate has shown in the picture, removing everything at the same time?

IMG-004822.jpg
IMG-004722.jpg
IMG-004622.jpg

Edited by N3p, 18 February 2022 - 12:05 PM.

#18 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:09 PM

1. Dimming the light

Please check if the microscope has been delivered with some included neutral density filters, sometimes they have the lollypop form. Electrical dimming changes the spectral characteristic of the luminance of the halogen lamp light.

2. Cleaning the stage mechanics

This can be tricky, as the vertical mechanics is possibly in the microscope body, like in

http://earth2geologi...ry/Dialux20.jpg

You might also contact the Leitz Microscopes User Group https://www.facebook...38692649552719/

Best,

JG

#19 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2022 - 05:56 PM

1. Dimming the light

Please check if the microscope has been delivered with some included neutral density filters, sometimes they have the lollypop form. Electrical dimming changes the spectral characteristic of the luminance of the halogen lamp light.

2. Cleaning the stage mechanics

This can be tricky, as the vertical mechanics is possibly in the microscope body, like in

http://earth2geologi...ry/Dialux20.jpg

You might also contact the Leitz Microscopes User Group https://www.facebook...38692649552719/

Best,

JG

Thanks for these information about the facebook group, I don't have a facebook account but I might create one, it looks like a wealth of knowledge there. Great illustration also.

But I could not wait, I dismantled the whole stage assembly already, it was pretty straight forward, it's extremely high quality hardware and parts so it went well, I can put it back together easily. Now I have this bellow, it's getting serious, I suspect that these 8 bolts might be some kind of adjusters this time.

KwNSPCR.jpg?1

Tonight I will inspect the parts.. the condenser is in good condition after all, there is no grease on the lens except for the top moving lens (which I don't know the name yet), it's just dust that can be removed.. most of it can be cleaned and mechanically it looks pretty good.

Thanks for the manual from the first links also, I read it and learned quite a few things.

#20 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2022 - 09:39 PM

This is the result of my investigation for today, I am skipping some very interesting stuff to get to the point where the focuser problem is now isolated. I would say it looks like a failing ball bearing in the process of seizing, maybe on the right side (or it could be both sides) of that dual speed focuser, the gears look fine, not a dent nothing broken.

You can hear the sound here.

https://www.youtube....h?v=8x6dOphYRJA

Some pictures if you are interested to see.

GIKGanB.jpg

hgNJmJy.jpg

2NQE3L8.jpg

• j.gardavsky likes this

#21 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 19 February 2022 - 10:34 AM

Thank you very much for the images!

It does not look very complicated, I mean if compared with the planetary gear in the Leitz Ortholux and Orthoplan,

Leitz Planetary Gear.jpg

Some more links, unless you already have them,

https://www.google.c...eitz 160mm memo

https://dokumen.tips...-dialux-20.html

Happy doings,

JG

#22 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2022 - 12:19 PM

Thank you very much for the images!

It does not look very complicated, I mean if compared with the planetary gear in the Leitz Ortholux and Orthoplan,

attachicon.gifLeitz Planetary Gear.jpg

Some more links, unless you already have them,

https://www.google.c...eitz 160mm memo

https://dokumen.tips...-dialux-20.html

Happy doings,

JG

I don't know it might be complicated inside of the knobs.. something is broken inside. The holder plate for the stage might be difficult to reinstall also, as you can see, it uses rollers in that special thick grease.

Z30IVHC.jpg?1

Rw9UFAQ.jpg?1

There is bad news today also, I tried to created an account on Facebook to reach the group you gave me, and it failed 3 times, all deactivated.. now I need to talk with them to solve that problem.. It appears that there is no way to reach that group at all unless I am logged in. I'll investigate to see if I can fine an e-mail somewhere but it looks like there are no public contacts visible.

So.. I can risk trying to dismantle the focuser by myself today.. but I don't feel safe.

By looking at the price of the other second hand parts of the telescope, i would not be surprised of something like 500 ~ 1000CAD for the knobs only.

#23 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 19 February 2022 - 12:55 PM

Can you find a part number on the stage?

It might be engraved on the blackened surface somewhere on the stage.

I could look around for a replacement.

Best,

JG

• Brianm14 likes this

#24 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 February 2022 - 01:22 PM

Hello Hey thanks I would really appreciate that kind of help I'll search on my side also.

Actually yes there are number punched inside of the support of the stage, 2 numbers. Most likely the red version but it could also be the blue version.

FIRST NUMBER:

Or

SECOND NUMBER

02A1136

INSIDE OF THE MICROSCOPE

Just over the horizontal brass shaft of the focuser, It looks like a model number.

ZGG 020-437. 025-007

On the back plate of the telescope I have what looks like contradicting information:

Type 020-437.035

And then there is a serial number

There are some pictures of the stage if you want to see it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Zpgt2xB

Edited by N3p, 19 February 2022 - 01:22 PM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#25 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 19 February 2022 - 03:09 PM

Thank you for sharing,

I would look around if I can find something.

Best,

JG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics