•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarNet vs StarXTerminator : comparativematch (including StarNet v2)

Software Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jean-Baptiste_Paris

Jean-Baptiste_Paris

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2022 - 09:27 AM

Hello everyone,

I share with you an article that I have just published on my  personnal website, dedicated to a comparative match between StarNet (v1 and v2) and StarXTerminator (v6 and v7):

https://millenniumph...nator-le-match/

The original article is written in French but it can be automatically translated into English by clicking on the flag directly on the page...

To make a long story short, StarNet v2 generally does better in linear and non-linear modes, but not everything is perfect and some flaws may lead to prefer StarX on some occasions (v6 or v7 depending on the case).

I hope it can be useful ! smile.gif

In any case, big progress for StarNet... StarX had better react quickly! (well, not too fast either if possible, it takes time to write all that anyway... lol).

Clear skies, 

Jean-Baptiste

Edited by Jean-Baptiste_Paris, 16 February 2022 - 10:14 AM.

• Jim Thommes, airscottdenning, pfile and 6 others like this

#2 Monkeybird747

Monkeybird747

Apollo

• Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:41 AM

Impressive write up. Thank you for sharing!
  • Jean-Baptiste_Paris likes this

#3 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 16 February 2022 - 05:10 PM

Thanks! I missed Nikita's CN post on the release of V2. I will check it out.

BTW, Seems that my experience with StarXTerminator is that V7 was noticeably better than V6 (at least on the images I used it on).

#4 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Gemini

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 16 February 2022 - 06:30 PM

I had given up on starnet because I wanted something that was faster and would work within PS or Affinity Photo.
The StarXterminator has been my goto.  It does a fantastic job, and is evident by the simple "difference" layer you can create that reveals the changes that have been made, and to create a star only layer that can later easily be blended in with a screen or additive layer.

I'm a fan..  Wish it was cheaper, but I'm just really glad someone has made something that is staying away from the overly used minimum filter that leaves those neat lines between stars.

Thank you for sharing the paper.

Clear Skies !!

#5 Synon

Synon

Mariner 2

• Loc: Flagstaff AZ

Posted 16 February 2022 - 09:02 PM

It's interesting how we've seen so many drastically different results from both of these, entirely depends on folks data set. For me SX did not perform well, in fact the latest AI engine v7 performed worse than v6. Starnet v1 was better than both the former and starnet v2 is an even further improvement (especially in speed and linear capability). 

• David Rosenthal and Jean-Baptiste_Paris like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics