•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Big fork mount from the '30s. Help with info?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:52 AM

Greetings--
I am looking for information about this (see pic) fork mount, acquired in San Francisco. It is US mf'd, bears no casting numbers (because it has no castings). Welded steel construction. 2-7/16" RA shaft (big!). Not shown, a tube ring with an ID of 13.75". As pictured, it is riding on a dolly with levelling jacks. Mount has 4 3/4" bolt holes in the base for permanent mounting. Sidereal drive is by chain from a gearbox/motor 115vac mains. It's in pretty good shape, except for cosmetics. I plan to use it for my 12.5" newtonian. Any help in identification is greatly appreciated!
Clear Skies,
Uncle Bob
Fairfax, CA 94930

Attached Thumbnails

• 1207636-mount2.jpg

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

Hi Bob,

I don't know jack about that massive fork. But, I can suggest posting this over in the "Mounts" forum. Maybe PM some of the folks on CN who have or work at observatories.

Good luck and clear dark skies...

MikeG

#3 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Good idea.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

Thanks. I had posted to the mounts forum earlier, but have so far received no information.
Clear Skies,
Uncle Bob
Fairfax, CA

#5 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

It looks to be a home-brew job. You might contact the local astronomy clubs, like the Eastbay Astronomical Society, and pass the picture among the club members, particularly the old-time telescope makers. Somebody might remember it.

#6 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:48 PM

I love the green- you don't see that much in astronomical equipment, except for some of the nastier fake reflectors being offered on ebay.

Jess Tauber

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics