•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Improving a Tasco 11T

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

Question for the gang,

I have a an older red tube Tasco 11T that serves as my grab and go camping scope. The only problem is that the image tends to break down at around 150x. This after collimation with a 35mm film canister collimation gizmo.

Should I get a better collimation tool or should I replace the mirror? I'm thinking if I replace the mirror with one of the 114NT Newts from Meades' outlet I'll get better resolution. Seems like an inexpensive way to improve the mirror. Any thoughts?

Thanks for a reply,

Gene

#2 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

The mirrors on these scopes are pretty good. I doubt you'd get a better mirror through Meade's budget scope but you never know.

I'd exhaust the collimation first. Borrow a laser collimator if possible and try it. I have the same scope in a Towa version and it's very sharp after collimation.

Try star testing to see if there are identifiable aberations.

Per John Siple's review:

http://www.rca-omsi....e06/2006_04.pdf

#3 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:26 PM

One of my favorite funny stories is formed around a reflector like this only it was from Kmart, about the same time mid early sixtys, I had set it up in the front in the middle of winter, the eps then were made ut of metal, I set it out, to cool down in about minus 10 degrees or so, stood inside sweatin , in my jacket and everytihng, walked out stuck my eye to the ep, and when I went to stand back up, the ep was frozen to my eyelid.hehehehehehehehehhe.
I wish I could remember where that scope went.

#4 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:10 PM

If you didn't get hurt that's hilarious. Better stick to the 2 inch eyepieces, although that might be more dangerous since it weighs more.

Ain't it a drag living in cold places...gotta come back in because the glass is frosting....then go out again.

#5 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:10 AM

They have anti-dewing thingies- why not antifrosting? And for reflectors, too? And for focusers?

Jess Tauber

#6 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

HI Gene...

You didn't say - but, are you using the original (.965) eyepieces? If so, I would suggest that this is more of a contributor to your problem than the primary quality or collimation.
ALL of the old Tasco's benefit tremendously from higher quality eyepieces.
I'll never forget the first time I dropped some 1-1/4" Clave' Plossls into my 11T.
This was back in 1967.
The incredible improvement in image quality served to reignite my passion for astronomy!

Mike Harvey

#7 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

Mike,
Yes I have upgraded the focuser to accept 1.25 EP's. I too noticed quite a difference when I did that!

Gene

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics