•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HELP! Vintage scope gurus hear me!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:55 AM

I am taking the plunge! Here are my two quick questions, please help.

I have the this vintage Sears/Tasco made-in-Japan EQ-1 mount and tripod. I took the 60mm clamshell off of it and I want to know how big/heavy of a scope can this little EQ handle?

I am thinking of a 3" refractor, possibly vintage, or perhaps a vintage short-tube like the 80mm Cometron. I could go either way - short or long focal length, not sure.

So, what else, besides a 60mm, can this mount handle?

Pix following! (I know how important the pix are!)

Thanks and clear dark skies...

MikeG

Attached Thumbnails

• 1210612-old-eq-1.jpg

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

Another -

Attached Thumbnails

• 1210614-old-eq-2.jpg

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

One more :

Attached Thumbnails

• 1210615-old-eq-3.jpg

#4 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

Mike if you indeed took the 60mm clamshell off then it will probably hold a short focal length 80mm refractor or 90mm-100mm mak. It probably held a 60mm f/15 refractor just perfectly, but you would have to get the lightest scope out there for anything bigger than 60mm. I use to own a 75mm and 80mm f/15 classic refractors. The mounts being bigger than yours could not handle the weight of long tube refractors,so be careful of what you choose.

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:59 PM

Right now I am looking at that new 90mm Apogee "richest field" short tube. It's cheap and I could use my surplus budget to trick it out with a good 2" crayford with microfocus, enhanced diagonal, and a few other goodies. IF this mount will handle it.

Can I put a clock drive on this mount?

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#6 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

It looks to me like an early EQ2. It's nearly identical to what came with my Tasco 11T. It's also very similar to the late EQ2 that came with my Firstscope 80. It think it'll be fine with a Short Tube 90. I added a drive to mine. I bought it from Telescope Warehouse for $50. I had to ream out the mounting clamp a little with a dremel to fit the Tasco EQ2. The RA drive is identical to Orion's EQ2M drive and works great.

Hope this helps,
Gene

#7 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:52 AM

Oh, gosh... it's the return of the mount for my old Tasco llTR reflector - it's the same type of mount, basically an early EQ2 with wooden legs.

That being said, it can probably handle up to a 4.5" reflector before having problems, but you'd probably want to stay smaller than that.

#8 Richard B. Drumm

Richard B. Drumm

Apollo

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

Ya know, that'd make a fine mount for a PST....
Or the short 90...
Rich

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

I have a 90mm short tube lined up thanks to fellow CN member PCAD (Peter) ... I'm pretty excited about it. A couple of other CN members have pointed out that this mount is ready to be fitted with a standard EQ-1 or 2 clock drive. I think I am in business now!

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics