•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ask Away for Classic Odds and Ends

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#126 Greenflash1

Greenflash1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:16 PM

Hi!

I’m in the process of rebuilding a Tasco 7TE, including stripping and powered coating mount parts, OTA, and replacing missing or damaged parts. The Bakelite body of the porro erecting prism is damaged beyond repair, so I’m reaching out to this forum. I have other Porro erectors but they are too big for the wooden case. Need the narrower one for the Tasco 7TE 910 mm. This has the 36.4 mm threaded end and the 0.965” receiver in the opposite end. This cylindrical body porro is ca. 49 mm diameter on the ends, it is smaller in diameter compared to the one from the 7TE-5 which is ca 58 mm diameter.

any leads appreciated! I plan to post the finished project in the appropriate forum.

geoff

#127 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:47 AM

Post a picture of what remains you have. Post a few pictures with referenced descriptions. My brain is shrinking. Scott Carey (Grant Williams) would be proud.

Edited by apfever, 31 May 2022 - 07:51 AM.

#128 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 10:41 AM

I have one that is missing the prisms and the side that attaches to the scope. The eyepiece holder side is there, but is missing the setscrew. The bakelite body itself is in good condition. If that will work for you, PM me. 

Chip W. 

#129 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 31 May 2022 - 11:37 AM

Geoffrey,

I have one as well. Identical to the one in my 7te kit.. It's complete all metal and in nice condition EXCEPT one of the three screws that attach the cover plate to the body is sheared off. If you have a teensy weensy easy out... or combine with Chip's parts?

keith

#130 Will A

Will A

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 03 June 2022 - 07:37 PM

Hallo!

If anyone can help I am looking for aluminum rings for a 1980s Meade 826. I bought it with the damage.
Everything else but the pot metal screws on the view finder rings is in excellent condition (are those even replaceable?)
Nylon string is most definitely not a good substitute for aluminum.

Will A

#131 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 04 June 2022 - 08:27 PM

Recently got a Towa 339 OTA that I purchased from Goodwill.  Unfortunately it looks like prior to packing and shipping they damaged the focuser.  The focus knob axel is bent and I'm going to try to straightened it out, however my bigger issue is the teeth on the focus tube rail of the rack and pinion is broken

It's missing about 1/2 inch where it attaches to the tube (see picture) also some of the teeth are broken so the focuser slips when racked in.

The scope is also missing the finderscope cross hair eyepiece.   Would be really appreciative if someone has these 2 parts

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2560.jpg
  • IMG_2563.jpg
  • IMG_2561.jpg

Edited by tony_spina, 04 June 2022 - 08:31 PM.

#132 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:23 PM

Give away:  Unitron 114 legs, you pay shipping.

Looking for:  I just gave a Unitron 114 to my son and daughter in law.  I noticed on lens retaining ring screw is missing - one of the three they apply paint to.  Anyone have a spare?

Kind regards,

Jim

#133 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 June 2022 - 02:47 PM

I'm looking for a couple of parts to finish some projects.

First, I'm in need of a slow motion control for a Unitron 114 mount.

I've tried the want ads several times with no luck so I may as well try here.

Uniton SloMo Knobs copy.jpg

I need the type in the middle with the very fine threads

Unitron114Mount Insert.jpg

If nobody has a spare slo-mo knob, then maybe someone has a spare insert collar that accepts the coarser thread knob

The coarse thread insert collar is a standard 6mm x1 size so a control could be made from a standard bolt.

Another long shot.

I'd like to find some of these insert studs for a Vixen Polaris.

Polaris-Studs.jpg

They are used with what many call the crusher tube rings (which I have).

PStuds-2.jpg

A lot of people don't like or use them so maybe someone has some spares.

I suppose they could be fabricated, but it's worth a try here first.

Drop me a PM if you have any of this stuff

• jragsdale likes this

#134 jragsdale

jragsdale

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 17 June 2022 - 05:32 PM

I too had a broken 114 slow motion knob, and I had a friend with a lathe who was able to extract the screw from the plastic knob and make a new one according to the specifications. Really all you would need is a proper diameter steel rod and a tap and die set to make an identical replacement.

#135 MGAR

MGAR

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Seattle

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:08 PM

I'm looking for a couple of parts to finish some projects.

I've tried the want ads several times with no luck so I may as well try here.

I too have a broken slow mo control for my SPI, similar mount to the Unitron's. Right now I'm using a $1 wing bolt from home depot as a workaround. I'm getting my larger jeweler lathe online to make a identical replacement, we'll see how that works out.

IMG_4623.jpg

Cheers!

Gary

#136 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:32 PM

Really all you would need is a proper diameter steel rod and a tap and die set to make an identical replacement.

The controls with the coarse thread are standard 6mm with a pitch of 1. I can easily find those but can't find a bolt to fit the finer threads and I don't believe it's a standard size that can be found as a tap or die. That's why if I can't find a an intact control knob (on its threaded shaft), I would settle for a coarse threaded insert.

Edited by Kasmos, 17 June 2022 - 06:37 PM.

#137 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:35 PM

I too have a broken slow mo control for my SPI, similar mount to the Unitron's. Right now I'm using a $1 wing bolt from home depot as a workaround. I'm getting my larger jeweler lathe online to make a identical replacement, we'll see how that works out.

attachicon.gifIMG_4623.jpg

Cheers!

Gary

Your mount is a old Towa and IIRC a standard1/4-20 bolt fits those threads. The ones on the Unitron are much finer and uncommon.

#138 MGAR

MGAR

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Seattle

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:39 PM

Your mount is a old Towa and IIRC a standard1/4-20 bolt fits those threads. The ones on the Unitron are much finer and uncommon.

Actually it's a standard 10/32 thread.

#139 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Mariner 2

• Loc: Danville, Pa.

Posted 25 June 2022 - 05:40 PM

Looking for a peep sight and strap for an Edmunds Astroscan. Thank you!

#140 billmalona

billmalona

Sputnik

• Loc: Sweet Home, Oregon

Posted 26 June 2022 - 11:54 AM

Hello, looking for dewshield cap for a celestron C60 refractor I'm using, a replacement celestron 5x24 viewfinder and .965" prism diagonal. Yes it's primitive, but I enjoy the hobby and that's what matters, right? Thanks, Bill

FOUND: diagonal!

Edited by billmalona, 26 June 2022 - 03:51 PM.

#141 mdowns

mdowns

Skylab

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:11 PM

Bill,I have a no name(chinese) .965 diagonal you can have.If you want it,send me a pm.        Michael

• deSitter and DouglasPaul like this

#142 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 26 June 2022 - 08:57 PM

On the hunt for a dust cap for the Celestron/Vixen SP C-102 I just picked up. Please shout out if you come across one.

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics