•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

VERY strange '60s ESCO reflector on craigslist

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

While browsing the ads on the world's largest online classified shopper, EDITED BY MODERATOR, I happened to notice an advertisement for just about the strangest commercial telescope that I have ever seen. The used telescope is located in New York City and the 10/21/06 ad mentions:

Telescope by ESCO--$100
"This telescope is from the 1960s. Very large. Approximately 6 feet tall. In two parts. Don't know if it works or if all the parts are still there. Comes with original instruction booklet...."

After glancing at the intriguing photos of this collectible telescope, I came to the conclusion that it is probably a 6-inch f/10. The tube assembly is of a truss-tube design, and the mounting appears to be a counterweighted altazimuth. WHAT IS THIS? From memory I can recall some other telescope manufacturers using the same open-tube type of design, but with larger diameter mirrors. Comments? Great photos for that vintage telescope archive. [NOTE: I know nothing about this telescope other than seeing the advertisement on craigslist. I am not the seller of the telescope.]

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Please link to the telescope, not just craigslist.

#3 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Simply access craigslist. Click on New York City (they list all of the major cities in the USA in a separate column), or go to New York and select New York City. Either type in 'Telescope' or 'Telescope by ESCO--$100' at the prompt. Not familiar with getting a direct linkage to that specific website.

#4 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:47 PM

Here's the link.

http://newyork.craig.../223761889.html

Very interesting. I wonder how bad the flexure is with regards to keeping the thing in collimation, considering its unusually large length to diameter ratio.

Keith

#5 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

I just got off the phone with the seller of this scope. No eyepieces, there is a sighting tube it looks like for the finder, maybe a couple of pieces missing as per description of the item.

Seller told me that there are no scratches or coating bits missing on the mirrors- he got this from an estate sale and the place was immaculate- there is a small amount of dust on the primary. Counterweight on the mount- altazimuth apparently.

I inquired as to whether the rods making up the tube were short pieces that could undone- turns out they are single long pieces with threading. So no breakdown on this one, folks.

Seller is adamant about not shipping this scope, or even driving it out to NJ- he had it sticking out the back of his hatchback just to get it home. Since I don't even have the right vehicle it would be a hassle.

As for the quality of the optics I don't have a clue-neither does he. But I would have to think since this managed to survive 40+ years it couldn't be TOO terrible.

I've only seen structures like this for sale twice in the past two years, both on ebay. I'll have to think about this one....

Jess Tauber

#6 tybee

tybee

Ranger 4

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

I believe ESCO is Edmund Scientific Company. Perhaps some of the parts came from there but I don't think the whole scope did.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong!

#7 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

You may be thinking of EDSCorp

#8 tybee

tybee

Ranger 4

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

You may be thinking of EDSCorp

Yep, I was.

#9 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

This ESCO?

http://www.escoproducts.com/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics