•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it polite to ask?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

I follow vintage scopes all the time on 'the Bay' and note that there are three or four names that keep showing up in the bidding all the time. One particular one is nearly a constant- one 'familygalntx'. Is this someone here on our list? Whoever it is must have VERY deep pockets. Where is all this equipment going- into the vault with Indiana Jones' Lost Ark? I can't see that it ever sees the light of day again (at least not on CN or Amart). By now there must be enough to equip an army.

Jess Tauber

#2 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

Polite or not, I'd sure like to know what he has hidden away and what he intends to do with it!

#3 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:35 AM

I think Hawk20001 tops familygalntx. Just the last few Ebay auctions..140033784768, 110026205616, and the $10k Zeiss Bino's. And, same thing, you never see the stuff ever again.

#4 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

the same thing that happens once any speculators get involved. They hoard that which they think they can make money on.

the only thing that stops this is the value of the items going down which begets a mass sell off. I would not be surprised at all to find that none of these people have any interest in astromomy at all, or use any of this stuff.

#5 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

I'm sure there are speculators, hoarders (enthusiastic collectors?) and appreciators, but whatever most purchasers' motives, the fact that there is a high price being paid for this equipment will insure that these scopes will mostly survive intact through the ages. I'd sure like to know the history of some of my equipment...conversely, I sure would like to know at least some of my possesions aren't headed to the trashheap when I'm gone. After hearing what happened to a friend's library of hundreds of first edition books at his estate sale, maybe I don't want to know. :mad:

Keith

#6 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

I see our friend 'familygalntx' is the current high bidder on this item...a 16" f2 mirror made by William Buchele.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

I acquired a large collection of William Buchele's optical books at a Vernonscope auction a few years back, but I didn't realize how accomplished an optician he was until I read the background on him described in this eBay listing. I thought he was just another guy. :shrug: I'm sure he'd be happy to know his books are still being put to good use.

Keith

#7 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:26 PM

theres a difference. I have seen thousands of dollars of early hi fi gear ( Mcintosh) sold for 10 cents on the dollar at estate auctions. When you're dead, you're dead. The bottom line is that we all only rent what we have except for the love you give and recieve. Everything else is just stuff.

#8 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:01 AM

I believe "familygalntx" is also the high bidder on the 6" f15 Jaegers scope currently on ebay. That name is coming up in bad dreams now......Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#9 msholden

msholden

Apollo

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:57 AM

familygalntx isn't nearly as active as some I've seen, and they don't seem to toss top dollar bids as a matter of course.

Take a look at at90210 Much of his buying is outside of the telescope categories. But if you see he's high bidder on something you want, plan on spending a lot of money.

#10 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Every domain and compartment of life has people like this. I think it’s funny actually, a little impressive, a little annoying, and somewhat depressing at the same time. Good luck to them. If I had millions… yeah well… :confused:
But one does wonder where all the equipment goes. There are some odd balls who collect vast amounts of old Sony discman players on ebay too... perhaps these people are fronts for secret conspiracy groups sent from the future to obtain our ancient technology :roflmao:

#11 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

I think its far more likely that they are after the secret microfilm they know is hidden SOMEWHERE in optical equipment- on the other hand maybe its something to do with Cylons-

There are many copies. And they have a plan.....

Jess Tauber

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics