•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Polarissima

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 April 2022 - 05:24 AM

In astronomy, as in real estate, we have the Three Ls: location, location, location. NGC 3172 is a challenge for all seasons -- literally -- as its location keeps it above the horizon throughout the year no matter what time of night you are looking. That's because NGC 3172 lies within 1° of the North Celestial Pole, closer than any other NGC object.

Click here to view the article
  • Dave Mitsky, weis14 and Astrojensen like this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Loc: PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:16 PM

I haven't observed NGC 3172 for quite some time.  I'll have to take another look at Polarissima the next time I'm at a site dark enough for the task.

http://spider.seds.o...cic.cgi?NGC3172

There's another image of SN 2010af posted at http://www.deep-sky....ve/N3172-SN.JPG

• PhilH, John O'Hara and erick86 like this

#3 Sky King

Sky King

Vanguard

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 April 2022 - 12:05 PM

Found it with my 6" GSO. I posted last month so I'll let someone else post this month. But here's a peek at it from last night. Would be better on a bigger scope. John Herschel, like his dad, was really on the mark.

• Dave Mitsky, PhilH, John O'Hara and 1 other like this

#4 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Apollo

• Loc: Oil City, Pennsylvania most of my life, now Quartzsite, AZ

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:24 AM

For years after reading about this object in Scotty's "Deep Sky Wonders" column, I tried to spy this one out with my 6" f/8 refractor from the dark skies of Cherry Springs State Park, PA.  However, whenever I thought of it, the Astro-Physics 706 GEM was always polar aligned, and I did not wish to shift it to alt-az mode in the middle of a dark observing night.  I'm not sure if I could have found it with my 6 inch or not, but the difficulty of using a GEM around the NCP certainly did not help.  I have seen it without problem in my 12.5" Dob.

• Dave Mitsky and PhilH like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics