•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone a nano-fossil expert?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2022 - 08:13 PM

Anyone have an idea what this item is?

567 nm in length, 5 mpx camera.

Eocene, Keasey Formation

5ImageStack061 630 886 325 195.jpg

#2 AstroBrett

AstroBrett

Messenger

Posted 11 April 2022 - 08:46 PM

If you are talking about the long extended object in the center, that is an organic fiber such as cellulose from a plant. It is not a microfossil. It is probably a contaminant onto your sample, since I often see them, and they are ubiquitous in air samples taken near vegetated areas.. 

Brett

#3 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2022 - 09:16 AM

This was inside mudstone from the Keasey Formation. Deep water 1000 to >10,000' sample and from inside the matrix that contained it. My tools are washed after each matrix removal from specimens. Quite possible it is what you see, but from inside 32-40 Ma mudstone makes me even more curious now. Thank you for your reply, I'll start looking for samples of plant materials on my matrix's as I remove them. Obviously 567nm is pretty small, I use a compound microscope with a powerful video light to illuminate the slides.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics