•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So, what about print film?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

can you use a standard flatbed scanner to scan in your slides?

I experimented today with my flatbed scanner. Took a negative and placed it on the scanner, placed a frosted piece of plastic over that to diffuse light from a little halogen desk lamp and scanned it in at high resolution and it turned out pretty well. Processed it in Photoshop and it looks like I just scanned a photo. Depending on the resolution I used, the image turned out a decent size. I'll need to try a slide when I get mine processed. :)

#27 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:47 PM

:applause:

#28 Rushwind

Rushwind

Vanguard

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:37 PM

http://www.abstractc...acklighter.html

The guy is more than a little nuts (you need to check out the rest of his site... :) ), but he's done some experimentation in this area that's worth checking out...

Jimbo

#29 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:11 PM

I think i've seen his site before. I used a fluorescent bulb like he suggested and had better results. This is from a negative i scanned in. With some obvious dust mixed in as well. But anyway it shows promise. :)

Posted Image

#30 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

What is that texture? What are you using for the diffusion material? Try putting more space between the diffusion material and film?

#31 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:51 PM

Just a piece of plastic that is not clear. Im not sure how to describe it. Like something you'd diffuse a light fixture of something. It does look grainy. Keep in mind, its not the worlds greatest scanner, but it was given to me for free. :)

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:48 AM

I use Adorama for processing slide film. They number the slides and package them in a nice plastic box. I also dabble in medium format, and for that they send the roll back uncut. In either case it takes a week or so but the price is reasonable and I have never had a problem.

On the other hand, I finished a roll of print film on the Venus transit. Usually I use a one-hour place, but I knew there were a bunch of wasted shots on there so just dropped it off at the grocery store to get 3x5 prints. They lost the roll.

I also shot digital, and I do have an unfinished roll of Provia 400 in another camera, so all was not lost from Venus.

#33 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:23 PM

Sorry to hear that TGO.

Just received my E200 slides back. Cut and mounted, but not bad for $4.99. Glad I didn't push process these as they turned out fine. I think I will get a dedicated slide scanner very soon. Looking at a used HP S20 which is in my price range. :)

#34 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

Well using the flatbed scanner with color slides didn't work so well. Having the slide illuminated on both sides is not good. Even though my new slide scanner is on the way, thought i'd experiment more. I illuminated the slide and used my digital camera with manual focus to take this picture. Had to use the remote to take the shot because any motion of the camera would ruin the picture. Not too bad. :)

This is the milky way region just above M16. E200 film, 15 minute exposure, 70mm lens f/4:

Posted Image

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics