•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just won a Tasco 99VR !

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

Well, my first foray into the realm of vintage scopes on auction sites was a success! :yay:

I got a cheap deal on an "excellent-condition" Tasco 99VR 60mm scope. Complete, all parts, in the original box with all inserts. :)

I can see where this could get addictive! (hope the wife didn't hear that!)

Does anyone in this forum have any wisdom to share regarding this nifty little scope? Weren't these made by Vixen or something?

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#2 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:02 AM

cool. snap a pic when you get a chance. I'm still trying to get my first one - hopefully a 60mm Sears to match the one I had when I was a kid.

#3 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:27 AM

Mike,

I bet I have had over 5 of the Tasco 9V servies over the past 20 years. First, they imported the 9V. A pure Vixen telescope with a very nice full 60mm lens. Then came the 99VR. Another nice scope, but I think you may notice the actually light throughput is limited to about 55mm or so. If I remember right, some were and some were not. Hopefully you did get all the parts for that deal (Astromart $79???) If you did, you got a very very nice Vixen Dx Slow motion adapter. That part is $79 just by itself...http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=4757&m= (sorry, I do not see it at Astronomics) You may like this little puppy more than your EQ2. Does yours have a neat little tube stored tripod? The 999VR is an ok scope if you get it at the right price. Lens quality goes down and the finder is masked to about 1mm, just kidding...

Congrats on your purchase. Great value and you will be happy.

I attached a picture of the 9V for comparison.

Steve

PS, the Vixen part number you need for 1.25" EP's is Part #AV-EA-3720. Measure the focuser, if it is 36.4mm, then this is the right part. $22.

#4 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:28 AM

forgot the pix?

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi Steve,

According to the seller, the scope set is 100% complete.

No, it does not include the nifty little tripod seen with some sets. But it apparently has everything else.

In all honesty, I did not buy this scope to keep. I got such a good deal on it, that this one is begging for re-sale. I'm going to keep it for a few weeks, play with it, seperate out the slo-mo adapter and keep it, and then re-sell the whole outfit (minus slo-mo).

If I didn't already have a 90mm short tube on the way, then I might consider keeping this little scope. But, consider this a heads up, this 99VR will be up in the Shop and Swap or on AM in the coming weeks.

Attached is the pic the seller used.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

Attached Thumbnails

• 1221681-99vr.JPG

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

Does anyone know anything about the eyepieces included in this set? I recall a Zoom eyepiece being mentioned. Are the eps also made by Vixen? And even though they are .965, are they considered quality eps?

You know, this little scope would make a good wide-field finder scope. I heard another seller (not mine) mention that an eyepiece with crosshair is all it would take to make a decent little finder scope. Maybe I will piggyback this 60mm on the 90mm I have coming! ;)

Clear dark vintage skies...

MikeG

#7 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

kewl. that is a shortie.....

#8 microbes

microbes

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

First, they imported the 9V. A pure Vixen telescope with a very nice full 60mm lens.

I think that one is the same as the little cometrons like the one I have. No way would I part with mine. I don't think you could find any scope with a wider field, anything with more apature that's that short would be so fast you would have to have ep's special made for it.

Then came the 99VR. Another nice scope, but I think you may notice the actually light throughput is limited to about 55mm or so

Even if it's choked down to 55mm, these little scopes are different than almost anything else. A 300mm focal length makes wide views that can only be beat with a pair of binos. And at f/5 you get fairly bright views even at 60mm.

the Vixen part number you need for 1.25" EP's is Part #AV-EA-3720. Measure the focuser, if it is 36.4mm, then this is the right part. $22.

That part of it is different than the cometron rendition, at least different than mine, it is set up for 1.25 eps.

In all honesty, I did not buy this scope to keep. I got such a good deal on it, that this one is begging for re-sale. I'm going to keep it for a few weeks, play with it, seperate out the slo-mo adapter and keep it, and then re-sell the whole outfit (minus slo-mo).

If you play with it much you are going to wind up wanting to keep it. You've been warned! :lol:

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

If you play with it much you are going to wind up wanting to keep it. You've been warned!

I agree! ;) Just don't let me wife hear that.

I got the spousal green light to buy ANY astro gear I want, ANY time I want. The only catch - none of the money used can be "new" money. So, I can sell stuff from my storage unit (collectibles and assorted dust-collectors) to raise astro $$$ or I can wheel and deal in astrogear to make $$$. As long as everything pays for itself and no new money comes out of the bank account.

This little scope was one of my first purchases specifically intended for re-sale and profit. This is eventually going to build into a full-blown mail-order business.

Teletrade better look out!

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#10 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

Nice. I think I found your deal...and yes, you got a GREAT price. And, in the lower right corner of the picture is the Vixen Dx unit. At least keep that!

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

Steve -

Yes, I did get a good deal. And I was afraid of being outbid at the last minute. Unlike many other scope freaks tooling around the online auctions, I have a very limited budget. If the bidding had gone another $20 higher, I would have dropped out. Of course, that scope is worth triple (maybe 4x) what I paid for it, if I sold it on AM.

So all you folks bidding on Unitrons have nothing to fear from me, now that I am out there bidding too!

I'm definitely keeping the slo-mo unit. That could come in handy for my 15x70 binos and my camera. Heck, after I get this thing, I might decide to keep the whole outfit!

How about I mount the Tasco 99VR on my 90mm shortube and used the Tasco as a FINDER SCOPE! ;)

Microbes does raise a good point. The light cone in this instrument is so short and broad, that the images must be pretty bright for such a small aperture. I'm very curious to see what it can do.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

PS - It's official. I am now addicted.

#12 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

Mike,

Congratulations on a great find! :thewave: And welcome to the world of classic telescopes! It is addictive so prepare your wife for the eventual... but always remember; it is much easier to beg forgiveness than get permission. :flower:

Don

#13 microbes

microbes

Apollo

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:33 AM

the images must be pretty bright for such a small aperture.

Way brighter than the typical f/11 or f/15 that most 60mm scopes are.

Back before I started playing with scopes I would have looked at one of these little telescopes and thought "well ain't that cute", but after playing with my cometron for a year I have come to really like it. Large clusters like the beehive or the pleiades or something like andromeda galaxy look really cool thru a scope like this. You can frame a large cluster with enough empty space around that it really stands out as "a cluster" and not just "an eye piece full of stars". And it's great to just pan the sky with.

I don't know how the optics of the 99VR compare to the "pure vixen" scopes, but if they are as good I think you will be suitably impressed. I can't say my cometron is free of false color, it is an achromat, but it has a lot less of it that I expected for an f/5 refractor. Only down side I've seen with mine is that it doesn't like cheap wide angle eps, but that's to be expected with any f/5 scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics