•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Torn on 7mm

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

If you need the eye relief.

If you don't, the 7mm APM XWA is excellent as well.

I don't need the eye relief, though I can appreciate the extra comfort.  But I've never tried a 7mm APM XWA.  A 6 or 8mm Ethos would be a good choice for a 100 degree eyepiece - I have them - but neither is 7mm.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, Yesterday, 08:03 PM.

#52 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

My comment was in reference to 7mm. A 6mm Ethos is a simply superb eyepiece in every way.

I thought so when I owned all the Ethos, and I was pleased to see Ernest's test indicated the same.

Seriously, thought, the 7mm and 9mm XWAs are excellent eyepieces.

If you like higher powers, I could see alternating Ethos and XWAs for 9mm, 8mm, 7mm, and 6mm

#53 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted Today, 01:28 AM

Would an ethos even make sense for bortle 8 skies? I'm guessing with an f/4.7 dob I'd likely need to spring for the paracorr also.

In terms of eye relief I have the eyecup extended all the way out on the Pentax 7 xw and it seems pretty comfortable. I think the eye relief is listed at 20mm and I do tend to put my eye on the eyepiece.

Wish the skies would clear so I can get more testing in with the Penny. So far however, it seems good.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics