•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Quasar 3C 273

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 May 2022 - 05:23 AM

Whenever my neighbor (I'll call him "Joe") sees me at one of my telescopes, he'll come over and ask "so, how far can you see with that thing?" Every time! You've also probably met someone like Joe. Well, unless you have a double-digit telescope, your answer should probably be "2.4 billion light years."

Click here to view the article
  • Jon Isaacs and DAG792 like this

#2 Benno

Benno

Lift Off

Posted 09 May 2022 - 11:17 PM

I've seen 273 years ago thru my 8" Cassegrain. I think it's the farthest object you can see in a backyard scope!! Thanks for posting!!

• PhilH, John O'Hara and mdrumm like this

#3 Eclipsed

Eclipsed

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:08 AM

I’ve seen it only on an image I took with my 8” SCT and ASI178MC camera. It was definitely a bluish shade. Since I know Phil’s emphasis is on visual and not Astro, I will see if we get a clear enough sky to try it with my aged and not-so-good eyes. It should be a fun challenge!

Edited by Eclipsed, 13 May 2022 - 07:09 AM.

• John O'Hara likes this

#4 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:11 PM

3C 273 is my favorite quasar and I even started a thread on it a while ago. I plan to revisit it with my C11 and maybe boost it with a 2.5x Tele Vue Powermate, hoping to see some jets. Probably wishful thinking about the jets, but doesn't hurt to try. 

• John O'Hara likes this

#5 David Knisely

David Knisely

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:25 PM

I may have some doubt that most people with modest aperture telescopes will visually see much in the way of color in 3C-273, so using its "color" in the eyepiece to help track it down might not be a great idea.  At around magnitude 12.8 to 13.0, many people would probably need something in the 10 to 14 inch aperture range to notice any easily distinguishable hue at that low level of brightness.  Even then, the color index of 3C-273 is +0.21 which is comparable to a late A-class star like 3rd magnitude Talitha (Iota UMa), or magnitude 2.5 Alpha Cephei, and those stars visually are more white than bluish.  I may have to try to image it sometime to see what my old DSLR shows, but visually (at least to me), 3C-273 appears pretty much colorless. 

• John O'Hara likes this

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:41 PM

Phil,

This is a good challenge and also a very informative article about quasars in general and this one in particular.  I observed 3C 273 in April of 2018 using my C14, but I needed a very detailed chart to identify the star field.  As in your article, I starhopped from eta Vir to the NE.  I did not note any color to the quasar.  I made this eyepiece sketch.

3C273_2018.04.21.composite.v1.JPG

• John O'Hara likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics