•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic folks and scopes at Stellafane 2022

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 02 May 2022 - 02:33 PM

I’m happy to announce that I pre-registered today for this year’s Stellafane Conference (July 28-31), and got a room booked in an inn in nearby Andover Mills. I’m so stoked! Haven’t been since 2019 given the plague so I’m very excited about returning. I’ll be taking my 6” F4.5 handheld Newtonian RFT (ATM 1967) that I built as an homage to the then current 1960s Cave RFT and a pair of classic binoculars of the same period.

SO WHO ALL ELSE FROM CLASSICS IS GOING AND WHAT ARE YOU BRINGING? I’ll see you there under the usual big tree.

Attached Thumbnails

• 255F4D20-31DF-4181-BC87-022EFF6A508E.jpeg

• Jon Isaacs, deSitter, photiost and 14 others like this

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 02 May 2022 - 02:44 PM

Never been to Stellafane, but have always wanted to go. Sounds like a really fun and neat time.  I remember first hearing about the event in Sky & Telescope magazine from 1977.  All those home made scopes!   As of late, are there that many home made scopes still shown and prizes awarded?

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 02 May 2022 - 02:48 PM

I am currently rebuilding this, and hope to have it done in time. It was owned by one of the founding members of the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg, Bert Asper, who passed away recently. Donated to the club by his family. Plumbing mount and concrete counterweight and all.

IMG_0020.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, deSitter, tim53 and 15 others like this

#4 kcoles

kcoles

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: western Pennsylvania, US

Posted 02 May 2022 - 02:53 PM

I finally finished my first scope (made the mirror and all) and hoped to bring it to show (yes, folks still show lots of scopes), but a work conflict came up for that week and I'll have to wait for 2023. Have fun if you make it to Stellafane!

• Jon Isaacs, Neptune, steve t and 3 others like this

#5 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 02 May 2022 - 03:23 PM

I am all in     cannot wait as well......

What to bring ?   This is will be the question  as the weeks go by ...  that and the weather ....but rain or shine I am there           Maybe I can bring the rescue Dob carcass Augustus gave me that was being discarded by someone

I  now have a good 10 inch mirror for it   and now a cell and a focuser  and perhaps now some motivation

I'm also thinking1959 Unitron 140 along with the solar filter I made out of silver black polymer and PVC for daytime

then an old fluorite refractor  plus small and medium binoculars and I am good......

• steve t, deepwoods1, mdowns and 2 others like this

#6 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 03:42 PM

I hope to make it again this year. I think my student may be entering another scope (a 10" he's been working on). But will probably just drive up for the day on Saturday, so I won't be bringing any scopes (unless I get my act together to advertise one or two of the loaners that I don't need any more).

Chip W. 

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#7 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 02 May 2022 - 04:07 PM

I won't be attending this year, as I'm going to be wrapping up an apprenticeship at an optics manufacturing company and I don't see my 20" scope being quite ready in time. I'm hoping a couple of my students will be there though. 

Planning on attending the Oregon Star Party and Stellafane back to back next summer though!

• steve t, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#8 geovermont

geovermont

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 02 May 2022 - 04:16 PM

Never been to Stellafane, but have always wanted to go. Sounds like a really fun and neat time.  I remember first hearing about the event in Sky & Telescope magazine from 1977.  All those home made scopes!   As of late, are there that many home made scopes still shown and prizes awarded?

Short answer; yes! Take a look at the website. Many fine scopes from the most enthusiastic of beginners to folks with decades of experience in optical and mechanical design and construction.

• Neptune, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#9 geovermont

geovermont

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 02 May 2022 - 04:17 PM

I won't be attending this year, as I'm going to be wrapping up an apprenticeship at an optics manufacturing company and I don't see my 20" scope being quite ready in time. I'm hoping a couple of my students will be there though. 

Planning on attending the Oregon Star Party and Stellafane back to back next summer though!

Zane, we'll save some stars for you.

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#10 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 02 May 2022 - 07:31 PM

I'm registered as well!!

I'll be up Wednesday PM to attend Hartness House Workshop Thursday. Its very quiet Wed night.

I have a room at Best Western AND spot on the hill. So I'll put a 10X10 next to the path to Flander's Pavilion but will stay at motel if cloudy/ If clear, I'll camp in my SUV.

What to bring?? Probably my 5" Brandon APO, but that's subject to change.

I am looking forward to seeing Terra and all my other friends!!

Peter

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#11 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:33 AM

I'll be there running the spectrohelioscope, Porter Turret and Hartness Turret. I also hope to finish a 8" f/6 Dob that the mirror was coated at  2019 Convention on Friday night and bring that up to show. 

- Dave 

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#12 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Apollo

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 03 May 2022 - 04:56 PM

I won't be on that side of the country until next year. Very much looking forward to it.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#13 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 03 May 2022 - 05:30 PM

I'm hoping to be able to attend this year, depending on whether I'm doing drone work in Utah or So Cal desert at that time.  If I attend, I'll drive (my old prius plugin averages about 55mpg on long trips, so it's a lot cheaper than flying).

I might try to bring this:

post-6788-14073028371432_thumb.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, deSitter, Vesper818 and 19 others like this

#14 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:14 PM

classic folks  classic scopes     Stellafane pics

Tom K brought along the three special Newtonians and a restored mount to die for

dig the feet

Attached Thumbnails

• stellafaneresoredIMG_3648.jpg
  • stellafanerestored2IMG_3650.jpg
  • stellafanerestoredguyIMG_3649.jpg
  • stellafaneresoredmountIMG_3646.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 03 May 2022 - 08:15 PM.

• tim53, photiost, steve t and 11 others like this

#15 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:20 PM

Little  pink houses  for you and me                           not sure John Mellencamp saw this one but it 

Normand Fuller's artwork

Attached Thumbnails

• stelllafanepink58645604931__64885E1F-3046-47BC-AAC3-4041A4646252.JPG
  • stellafanewoodenIMG_3653.jpg
  • STELLAFANEWOOD4IMG_3655.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 03 May 2022 - 08:22 PM.

• deSitter, tim53, steve t and 11 others like this

#16 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 06 May 2022 - 02:41 AM

I’m happy to announce that I pre-registered today for this year’s Stellafane Conference (July 28-31), and got a room booked in an inn in nearby Andover Mills. I’m so stoked! Haven’t been since 2019 given the plague so I’m very excited about returning. I’ll be taking my 6” F4.5 handheld Newtonian RFT (ATM 1967) that I built as an homage to the then current 1960s Cave RFT and a pair of classic binoculars of the same period.

SO WHO ALL ELSE FROM CLASSICS IS GOING AND WHAT ARE YOU BRINGING? I’ll see you there under the usual big tree.

The only time I ever saw / used a TeleVue 140mm.

#17 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 06 May 2022 - 05:44 AM

Never have get togethers like this in FL.

#18 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:06 AM

Never have get togethers like this in FL.

Winter Star Party???

• Terra Nova likes this

#19 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:17 AM

Winter Star Party???

That is so far from me it just as well be in another state. I will be down there next week by boat fishing on a 8 day trip.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#20 Gil V

Gil V

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:18 AM

I am staying in central ME (gray zone) that weekend, and won’t be attending this year.

Next year is all but guaranteed, however.

Edited by Gil V, 13 May 2022 - 07:18 AM.

#21 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:22 PM

I will be away in Europe that month, hopefully next year !!

#22 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:32 AM

Getting excited about this now that June is turning into July

not sure what I am bringing     maybe the two Jaegers

the Longfellow refractor ...Jaegers 4 inch F 15.5 and 

the wide field sweeper ...  Jaegers 5 inch F5 ?

or maybe the TV NP 101 and the Jaegers F 5 ?

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#23 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2022 - 09:13 AM

Getting excited about this now that June is turning into July

not sure what I am bringing     maybe the two Jaegers

the Longfellow refractor ...Jaegers 4 inch F 15.5 and 

the wide field sweeper ...  Jaegers 5 inch F5 ?

or maybe the TV NP 101 and the Jaegers F 5 ?

Its good to have choices!

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#24 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 10:41 AM

I finished making my reservations for my road trip up yesterday. I like to take my time and enjoy the sights, so I take US highways going up and spend several days doing it. I love traveling across US-20 and will be taking it from just south and east of Buffalo all the way across upstate NY to Esperance. I love the north end of the Finger Lakes and will spend a night at Canandaigua before continuing to Esperance. I like to stop and walk around downtown Seneca Falls as it was the model that Frank Capra used for Bedford Falls in It’s A Wonderful Life, one of my favorite movies. At Esperance, I turn north and go through Saratoga Springs (a lovely town!) and Glenns Falls NY and then on into Vermont where I spend the second night in Rutland. Then I take my time checking out the general stores and antique shops of western Vermont and make my way to Springfield by Late Thursday afternoon to get checked into my ‘room at the inn’ in nearby Andover where I will stay until Sunday. I’ll take the more southerly route home through Binghamton NY (Rod Serling’s) home town, and stop at the park there to see if the old wooden carousel is still standing (that was the carousel in the Twilight Zone episode, Walking Distance, where the main character makes a pilgrimage back to his old hometown where he finds things strangely different and encounters his child self. Then I spend the night at Jamestown NY (Lucille Ball’s home town where they have an I Love Lucy museum, and then hed south and home. I like a leisurely drive rather than a frantic race, and I like stopping and getting out along the way, something my parents seldom allowed when we were on vacation. Anyway, I’m excited. It will be a fun week for me.

As far as what scope to bring, I was going to bring my 6” Newtonian, but I have other plans for it so I may bring the little CNC ST80 I made instead.

Edited by Terra Nova, 28 June 2022 - 10:54 AM.

• pbealo, John O'Hara, steve t and 7 others like this

#25 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:41 PM

Yes  P it is good to have choices   

I am torn between the easy to manage and set up rigs

versus

the  large showy  units   as  Ed Sullivan would say   " A real big show"

Yes T 

the leisurely  driving pace..... with places to stop and things to see is an excellent way to go...kind of a nice vacation trip    and seeing friends at the event and a different fun route home

Love the summer as well...

were in Saratoga Springs in May    and we loved it. I wish I brought more of that great spring water back with me    love the sparkling water in the blue bottles

Planning to get there Friday   easy fun ride from Southern Connecticut

See you under the big tree

B

• steve t, Terra Nova and AstroKerr like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics