•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic folks and scopes at Stellafane 2022

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#26 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:51 PM

Yes Terra,

The carousels are still in Binghamton and Johnson City! The one in Bingotown is at Ross Park zoo, JC at Rec Park. 

Rod Serling attended Binghamton Central HS, my mom was there at the same time. His drama teacher, Helen Foley, was used by him as a character in TZ. As per tradition, when drama kids (and stage crew rats like me!) graduated, they wrote their names somewhere in the stage left or stage right areas. Rod's was above the stage entrance on the right. When they renovated the building his name was saved and its now in somebody's office. Helen Foley was my boss on Stage Crew as well.

The only unique food in Binghamton area are "speidis". Marrinated pork/lamb/chicken on italian bread. Try Lupo's speidis while you're there!

If you have the time, visit Kopernik Observatory in Vestal NY. It was built while I was still living there. I helped lay the sod!

Peter

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar, AstroKerr and 1 other like this

#27 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:04 PM

Since it was  a no go in 2020  and 2021

the thread from 2019 can be found here.....

https://www.cloudyni...-at-stellafane/

see you folks under the Oak tree    in the afternoon

up on McGregor up the hill at sun down

Attached Thumbnails

• StellafaneTerra Signpost-209529-0-34326000-1556633452_thumb.jpeg
  • StellafaneOakTreepost-263399-0-20459100-1564959117.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 28 June 2022 - 02:39 PM.

• deSitter, Exnihilo, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#28 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Mariner 2

• Loc: Danville, Pa.

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:36 PM

Yes Terra,

The carousels are still in Binghamton and Johnson City! The one in Bingotown is at Ross Park zoo, JC at Rec Park. 

Rod Serling attended Binghamton Central HS, my mom was there at the same time. His drama teacher, Helen Foley, was used by him as a character in TZ. As per tradition, when drama kids (and stage crew rats like me!) graduated, they wrote their names somewhere in the stage left or stage right areas. Rod's was above the stage entrance on the right. When they renovated the building his name was saved and its now in somebody's office. Helen Foley was my boss on Stage Crew as well.

The only unique food in Binghamton area are "speidis". Marrinated pork/lamb/chicken on italian bread. Try Lupo's speidis while you're there!

If you have the time, visit Kopernik Observatory in Vestal NY. It was built while I was still living there. I helped lay the sod!

Peter

The Binghamton Carousel is prominently featured in the Walking Distance episode of the Twilight Zone. It illustrates the mastery of Rod Serling.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#29 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:03 PM

Hopefully, it's breezier on Breezy Hill than it is here in the Midwest....

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#30 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 28 June 2022 - 03:31 PM

See you under the big tree.”

I’ll be there! grouphug.gif

• rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#31 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:29 PM

I was planning to be there this year, but now in the midst of purchasing a new home, so I need to stay put for awhile.

• tim53 and AstroKerr like this

#32 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:21 PM

I was planning to be there this year, but now in the midst of purchasing a new home, so I need to stay put for awhile.

I’m not going to press a like on that one Bob, I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Hopefully next year god-willin’-an’-the-creek-don’t-rise. Good luck with your move. Are you staying in Florida?

Edited by Terra Nova, 30 June 2022 - 01:55 PM.

• rcwolpert likes this

#33 Mike W

Mike W

Vanguard

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:23 PM

I’m happy to announce that I pre-registered today for this year’s Stellafane Conference (July 28-31), and got a room booked in an inn in nearby Andover Mills. I’m so stoked! Haven’t been since 2019 given the plague so I’m very excited about returning. I’ll be taking my 6” F4.5 handheld Newtonian RFT (ATM 1967) that I built as an homage to the then current 1960s Cave RFT and a pair of classic binoculars of the same period.

SO WHO ALL ELSE FROM CLASSICS IS GOING AND WHAT ARE YOU BRINGING? I’ll see you there under the usual big tree.

Hi Terra, just registered for Stellafane! Sold my camper so will have to "rough it" in the back of my pick up (cap)
  • Terra Nova likes this

#34 Mike W

Mike W

Vanguard

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:28 PM

I finished making my reservations for my road trip up yesterday. I like to take my time and enjoy the sights, so I take US highways going up and spend several days doing it. I love traveling across US-20 and will be taking it from just south and east of Buffalo all the way across upstate NY to Esperance. I love the north end of the Finger Lakes and will spend a night at Canandaigua before continuing to Esperance. I like to stop and walk around downtown Seneca Falls as it was the model that Frank Capra used for Bedford Falls in It’s A Wonderful Life, one of my favorite movies. At Esperance, I turn north and go through Saratoga Springs (a lovely town!) and Glenns Falls NY and then on into Vermont where I spend the second night in Rutland. Then I take my time checking out the general stores and antique shops of western Vermont and make my way to Springfield by Late Thursday afternoon to get checked into my ‘room at the inn’ in nearby Andover where I will stay until Sunday. I’ll take the more southerly route home through Binghamton NY (Rod Serling’s) home town, and stop at the park there to see if the old wooden carousel is still standing (that was the carousel in the Twilight Zone episode, Walking Distance, where the main character makes a pilgrimage back to his old hometown where he finds things strangely different and encounters his child self. Then I spend the night at Jamestown NY (Lucille Ball’s home town where they have an I Love Lucy museum, and then hed south and home. I like a leisurely drive rather than a frantic race, and I like stopping and getting out along the way, something my parents seldom allowed when we were on vacation. Anyway, I’m excited. It will be a fun week for me.

As far as what scope to bring, I was going to bring my 6” Newtonian, but I have other plans for it so I may bring the little CNC ST80 I made instead.

Terra, when you get to Esperance look for the sign to George Landis Arboretum. That's our "Dark site" (upper field)
Here's a photo taken at the Arboretum.

11.jpg

Edited by Mike W, 01 July 2022 - 03:04 PM.

• MASILMW, Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#35 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 July 2022 - 05:38 PM

I’m not going to press a like on that one Bob, I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Hopefully next year god-willin’-an’-the-creek-don’t-rise. Good luck with your move. Are you staying in Florida?

I was looking forward to meeting you in person also, Terra. frown.gif  

The new home (a townhouse) is only 10 miles from me, but it’s right on the ocean (I walk across A1A to our own private beach), but the best thing is that it has a telescope-usable balcony, a huge L-shaped patio, a lawn and a garage. I can start observing again!! yay.gif 

So I took my Mayflower 815 off the market. 
Right now I’m going through all the hassle of buying the home and selling my condo at the same time. We’ll close on the new home on August 13th. Then the observing begins!

So yes, hopefully we can meet at the 2023 Stellafane!

• tim53, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#36 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 23 July 2022 - 10:58 AM

Under a week to go and I am getting excited to go to Stellafane

Still toying with the idea of traveling light with binocs and just one or two scopes

There are so many great scopes up there that nice people want you to look at and look through ...

Then one contemplates   selling an item or two or three  because with shipping -  the cost and vagaries and risks

a try out and  handoff at Stellafane    cannot be beat       maybe I'll run an ad or two

I know little about the Saturday morning swap meet tables and set up and wonder about parking for that and lugging stuff with no idea if there is interest 

The heat wave here in Southern New England continues til Monday   we are looking at 96 today   and 98 2marro 

Hoping for clear weather for next Friday and Saturday evening

I remain upbeat

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert and jkmccarthy like this

#37 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

Posted 23 July 2022 - 12:56 PM

Parking around swap area is iffy. Best bet is to drive to it, unload, then park elsewhere.

Also, don't expect achieving high prices.

Peter

#38 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:00 PM

I’m stoked. I’m leaving early Tuesday morning and having a leisurely roadtrip. I’ll see y’all there Friday. I’m traveling light and bringing 12x60 binos and my 80mm F5 RFT on a vintage Bogen tripod. The skies look iffy for the weekend but it’s still early. Fingers crossed! fingerscrossed.gif fingerscrossed.gif

• pbealo, rcwolpert and Defenderslideguitar like this

#39 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:43 PM

Under a week to go and I am getting excited to go to Stellafane

Still toying with the idea of traveling light with binocs and just one or two scopes

There are so many great scopes up there that nice people want you to look at and look through ...

Then one contemplates   selling an item or two or three  because with shipping -  the cost and vagaries and risks

a try out and  handoff at Stellafane    cannot be beat       maybe I'll run an ad or two

I know little about the Saturday morning swap meet tables and set up and wonder about parking for that and lugging stuff with no idea if there is interest 

The heat wave here in Southern New England continues til Monday   we are looking at 96 today   and 98 2marro 

Hoping for clear weather for next Friday and Saturday evening

I remain upbeat

Stellafane can be very hot! Be sure to camp in a very shaded area or your tent can become an oven. For the swap meet, get to the tables very early, at sunrise is best. Get set up on a table, have someone watch your stuff while you park your car. Table space goes fast! I’ve sold a LOT of stuff at Stellafane. It’s surprising what sells and how fast it sells.

• tim53, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#40 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:26 PM

I'm driving up on Wednesday. I hope  you all come by and look thru the spectrohelioscope since I'll  be running it off and on,  on Friday and Saturday.  We keep improving it and it is better then last year and producing amazing images. 

Here is  an example that my good friend Matt Considine took. It is  a mosaic of  a number of images since the field of view doesn't allow the full disk of the Sun to be viewed at once but the controls easy allow  the user to pan all over the Sun the observe the full disk. 

- Dave 

mosaic_pt2.jpg

Edited by DAVIDG, 24 July 2022 - 10:35 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, tim53, Jim Curry and 11 others like this

#41 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:36 PM

I'll have a 13' sq dining fly setup next to the path down to the pavilion. Red LEDs around the fly. Eveyone is welcome to bring a chair and stop by for a while!

Peter

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#42 firemachine69

firemachine69

Apollo

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:38 PM

Stellafane 2023 for me! Poor planning means no Stellafane for me this year! 

#43 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 10:25 PM

I’ll be driving up on Saturday morning. Probably arriving around 9, then leaving around 1. Just squeezing in a quick visit this year between other activities I need to attend to. 

Chip W.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#44 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:01 AM

Okay   thanks for the info on swap tables  etc   i was just thinking of odd stuff like a 20 dollar tripod   two large blue orion bags 40 dollars each    a C-80 with rings   and a 2 speed focuser   asking 70 dollars   but maybe what I can do is just run  ads here in classifieds   and bring only what someone has an interest in.......

I'm driving up Friday afternoon       bringing binoculars   and a low wider   sweeper, the Jaegers 5 inch f 5, on the steady easy Unistar mount 

• rcwolpert and Augustus like this

#45 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:10 AM

Okay   thanks for the info on swap tables  etc   i was just thinking of odd stuff like a 20 dollar tripod   two large blue orion bags 40 dollars each    a C-80 with rings   and a 2 speed focuser   asking 70 dollars   but maybe what I can do is just run  ads here in classifieds   and bring only what someone has an interest in.......

I'm driving up Friday afternoon       bringing binoculars   and a low wider   sweeper, the Jaegers 5 inch f 5, on the steady easy Unistar mount 

I’ll have a few pieces of scrap 6061-T6 aluminum including a nice tube for a 4” RFT short tube refractor. I’m dropping it off to the tables Saturday morning. It will be free.

Edited by Terra Nova, 24 July 2022 - 10:17 AM.

• steve t, mdowns and rcwolpert like this

#46 steve t

steve t

Apollo

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 24 July 2022 - 10:16 AM

Stellafane has been on my bucket list since the 1970's. Maybe next year.

I hope you all have great weather and a great time.

Take lots of pictureslol.gif

#47 steve t

steve t

Apollo

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 24 July 2022 - 10:17 AM

I'm drive up on Wednesday. I hope  you all come by and look thru the spectrohelioscope since I'll  be running it off and on,  on Friday and Saturday.  We keep improving it and it is better then last year and producing amazing images. 

Here is  an example that my good friend Matt Considine took. It is  a mosaic of  a number of images since the field of view doesn't allow the full disk of the Sun to be viewed at once but the controls easy allow  the user to pan all over the Sun the observe the full disk. 

- Dave 

attachicon.gifmosaic_pt2.jpg

Wow, that is impressive.

• gnabgib and Defenderslideguitar like this

#48 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:14 PM

Man, I really wish I were going this year!  But I recently got a NASA grant funded that's delaying my 'plans' (such as they weren't!) to retire. I promise to plan ahead better for next year, though.

-Tim.

• steve t, rcwolpert and jkmccarthy like this

#49 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:16 PM

Man, I really wish I were going this year!  But I recently got a NASA grant funded that's delaying my 'plans' (such as they weren't!) to retire. I promise to plan ahead better for next year, though.

-Tim.

Dang! Everybody’s canceling at the last minute. Oh well, my lodging is booked for the trip so I’m going come hell or high water.

• steve t, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#50 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:28 PM

One time I was carrying an 8’ long, 16” ID Sonotube to the swap tables and someone bought it before I got 1/4 of the way there. I was happy about that because that was during the time when the swap tables were still up at the pink clubhouse level! Like I said, it’s surprising what sells and how fast it sells. I used to more than pay my Stellafane expenses with swap table sales. Always fun.

• steve t, Terra Nova, Augustus and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics