•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic folks and scopes at Stellafane 2022

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#51 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:43 PM

I wish they still had the RTMC. The few times I went, it was great, as was the swap meet.

It's kind of weird that just because it's no longer the huge event it once was they killed it.

Is 600 people too small? How many show up at Stellafane?

• gnabgib, jim kuhns, steve t and 3 others like this

#52 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 24 July 2022 - 02:38 PM

I wish they still had the RTMC. The few times I went, it was great, as was the swap meet.

It's kind of weird that just because it's no longer the huge event it once was they killed it.

Is 600 people too small? How many show up at Stellafane?

Stellafane used to draw a thousand plus, but I think it’s smaller the past few years. That’s what I’ve heard people say. Especially since the Covid. I haven’t been since 2019.

i went to RTMC a couple of times with my brother back in the 80s/90s. It was a lot of fun. I think moving it had a lot to do with its downfall. I went when it was up in Big Bear.

• steve t, rcwolpert and Augustus like this

#53 tim53

tim53

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 24 July 2022 - 03:57 PM

RTMC was in Big Bear since before I started going in 1979.  I didn't miss a single one since then.  I think the attendance got up ver 2000 in the late 80s, and went up and down since, mostly down in the last several years.  They tried moving it to the new moon weekend one year, and it never recovered, even though they went back to Memorial weekend.  I was told that renting the YMCA camp just got too expensive.

-Tim.

• Dan /schechter, jim kuhns, steve t and 2 others like this

#54 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:23 PM

I really miss RTMC. It was a ritual for me for over 20 years. Lots of great people that I got to meet. I was a regular at selling stuff at the swap meet.  Made it a lot easier to sell and buy a bunch of stuff in one place

I bet if the folks that ran RTMC did a pole of previous attendees they would get enough folks interested in doing an event. Maybe not at Camp Oakes but somewhere else in Big Bear that was more affordable 

• gnabgib, George N, steve t and 1 other like this

#55 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:08 PM

They tried moving it to the new moon weekend one year, and it never recovered”

That was the move I was thinking of. It was always on Memorial Day weekend. At least it was when I went to it with my brother. I’m thinking I also went once in the 60s or early 70s and it was at RCC of Market Street in Riverside. (I went to UCR in the 70s).

Edited by Terra Nova, 24 July 2022 - 09:11 PM.

• tim53 and steve t like this

#56 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Ny

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:11 PM

Im considering going, and have the time and $ to do so... thinking on dragging my teardrop camper along to stay in and maybe bring a few astro spares to do some trading

Question for those that know.. hows the camping situation?   Dm me directly if you like 

Stevegeo   near dead center of NY  on Otisco Lake, ( most east finger lake )

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#57 Matthew Paul

Matthew Paul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montague NJ

Posted 26 July 2022 - 01:56 PM

Im considering going, and have the time and $ to do so... thinking on dragging my teardrop camper along to stay in and maybe bring a few astro spares to do some trading

Question for those that know.. hows the camping situation?   Dm me directly if you like 

Stevegeo   near dead center of NY  on Otisco Lake, ( most east finger lake )

Camping is easy as pie. Pull up to a spot and set up. RVs have a special section in the back but regular camping is fairly spread out considering the number of people that attend. Parking is always near your campsite in my experience. You'll get to know your friendly neighbor.

It's a good time. One of my favorite places on Earth, with my favorite people. 

• tim53, George N, Augustus and 1 other like this

#58 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2022 - 08:25 PM

I left for Stellafane this morning. I’m in Canandaigua, NY tonight on US20 at the upper end of Lake Canandaigua in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York.

• George N, pbealo, steve t and 5 others like this

#59 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 26 July 2022 - 08:53 PM

I left for Stellafane this morning. I’m in Canandaigua, NY tonight on US20 at the upper end of Lake Canandaigua in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York.

Pretty cool terra. Right next to my hometown Rochester. We would go to an amusement park every summer when i was a kid in Canandaigua called Roseland, (no longer there). Have fun at stellafane.

• Terra Nova likes this

#60 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:01 PM

Question for those that know.. hows the camping situation?   Dm me directly if you like

Stevegeo     go to their website    there is info on camping and when and how to pay it is useful info

Having said that    i ended up with a room for Friday and Saturday

Terra    nice work getting up to NY State Finger lakes   so nice up there

I'll be "On the road" Friday    see you and the others by the big Oak tree in the afternoon

For those of us here who are going  I guess we can try to meet up at the oak tree and match names and faces and hang out a bit   but we just do not have the name tag thing going on 

I will try and have some guitar related shirt on  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,who knows     after three years of the world being somewhat upside down   just happy to be going  

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#61 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:13 PM

Which oak tree do you mean? 

My main reason for going, since I will only have a couple of hours there, is to see my student's latest telescope out on the field (hopefully he finished it). I'll most likely be wearing my black short sleeve shirt with the Kitt Peak logo on it, and a Tilley hat. 

Chip W. 

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#62 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 26 July 2022 - 10:13 PM

Chip   see post 27 for my pic of the Oak tree       Terra knows it's location description better than I  but as best I recall   it is up the hill from the pavilion but closer to the pavilion than McGregor  Hill Shupman building  if you are walk down the path   downhill toward the lecture pavilion, you have to past to the left of the big oak tree 

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 26 July 2022 - 10:23 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#63 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2022 - 04:51 AM

Chip   see post 27 for my pic of the Oak tree       Terra knows it's location description better than I  but as best I recall   it is up the hill from the pavilion but closer to the pavilion than McGregor  Hill Shupman building  if you are walk down the path   downhill toward the lecture pavilion, you have to past to the left of the big oak tree 

That pretty well nails it. It’s the dominant tree on the right side of the road midway down (the road).

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#64 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2022 - 05:04 AM

I’m heading across NY today on US20, bound for the Berkshires. I’m going to the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge MA. I was there 18 years ago and loved it. Then I’ll head north on the country roads and hit a few country stores and antique shops. I’ll be in Rutland VT tonight.

“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.”- Jack Kerouac, On The Road

• tturtle, steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#65 nykaver

nykaver

Vostok 1

• Loc: Danbury, CT

Posted 27 July 2022 - 08:53 AM

My family will be leaving Connecticut early (hopefully) Friday.  We'll be there sometime Friday afternoon.  On Saturday I'll be on a blue Vespa early Saturday at the swap tables.  The Vespa will allow me an early start while the family sleeps in.  Nothing classic to bring sadly but will have my night-vision goggles Saturday night.  Looking forward to using them under really dark skies (fingers crossed).

Paul

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and Senex Bibax like this

#66 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 27 July 2022 - 09:37 AM

I'm going to have to miss this year. Decided to pull my back out instead. The drive and walking around the hills doesn't sound like fun right now. And I had the homemade 10" ready for use, too. Maybe I'll bring it up next year.

#67 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Apollo

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 27 July 2022 - 01:16 PM

I'm going to have to miss this year. Decided to pull my back out instead. The drive and walking around the hills doesn't sound like fun right now. And I had the homemade 10" ready for use, too. Maybe I'll bring it up next year.

Bummer, been there with the back thing.

• Jim Davis likes this

#68 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Apollo

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 27 July 2022 - 01:17 PM

Wish I was going, won't get there until next year. Hope lots of folks make it then.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#69 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2022 - 04:04 PM

I’m in  Vermont! :jump:

• tim53, rcwolpert, Jim Davis and 3 others like this

#70 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 28 July 2022 - 06:15 AM

It's been a dream for me to go for years but sort of never seems to work out. I was seriously contemplating but then there is airport personnel on strike and ticket prices are insane. You all have a great time at Stellafane and please post lots of pictures.bawling.gif

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and DouglasPaul like this

#71 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 28 July 2022 - 12:49 PM

Can't go again this year, bummer, it's only 2 hours away from here.  Weather looks good too, clear w/ temps in the low 80's.  Have fun everyone!

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#72 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2022 - 04:38 PM

I got in today. (I’m staying in Andover.) i was over at the Hartness House this afternoon. If you’ve no been, be sure to check out the Porter Museum in the ‘basement’. I got to meet our keynote speaker and that was a great pleasure.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8A3812D1-9FD4-4AFC-8EF7-42B6C6C83B45.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 28 July 2022 - 04:39 PM.

• tim53, Scott99, steve t and 5 others like this

#73 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

Posted 28 July 2022 - 04:56 PM

Okay    heading north on i-91  mid  morning   should be there early afternoon?

All excited to just get up there...........

• Scott99, Terra Nova and DouglasPaul like this

#74 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2022 - 04:56 PM

There was a thunderstorm this afternoon and now it’s pouring again! A real cats and dogs rain! I feel sorry for those setting up tents in this. Tomorrow looks much better.

Edited by Terra Nova, 28 July 2022 - 04:58 PM.

• tim53 likes this

#75 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 July 2022 - 05:04 PM

I hope you all have an enjoyable time! Clear and steady skies!!!!!!

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics