•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Celestron Pacific C5...Orange of Course

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hi:

About four years ago I got the spotter version of this scope. It has the "special coatings" and a 1/4" tripod amount attached. My lives on a baader bkt and a GT80 mount.

I was at a star party and It was pretty cool to have the folks stop by and say the optics were pretty amazing. I think when the C5 first came out it was as expensive to manufacture for Celestron as the C8. I believe that my body has sandcast parts - they are like works of art they are so smooth.

One day I'll send it in to get star bright. I was going through a very tuff period (death of a spouse) and bought it one day when I needed a "pick me up". At that time most spotter C5s were going for about $400, and I got this one for $275.

I don't know when it was manufactured but since it is a Celestron Pacific I assume it must be 25 years old or so.

I've become quite attached to this perfect grab and go scope. Who says you can't teach an old scope new tricks, the little GT80 mount (on Bogen 3001 legs) and the new Skyalign controller and I expect another 25 years out this scope :)

Since serial numbers don't mean anything on these scope I don't know how I could find out its exact age.

Regards,

Jeff

#2 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

Jeff,

I too recently received an old Celestron Pacific C5. Mine is setup with a mount to mount it as a guidescope to a C14. I bought a pair of 140mm rings that work perfectly to mount it to a Vixen dovetail, which works great on my William Optics EZ-Touch alt/az mount or my Vixen GP/DX.

The serial number on mine is 128277, but the interesting thing about the serial number is its spacing, as stamped on the scope's Celestron label, which is like this; 1 2827 7 (definitive spaces between the first 1 and 2 and the last 7 and 7). Unfortunately I have no idea if there is a significance to the spacing or if it is just a human error (definitely appears to hand stamped, not machine stamped).

Anyone out there have a thought on the Celestron serial numbers?

Best regards,

Don

#3 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

Don:

Be very careful mounting new accessories (Like a FR) on the scope. While all of my visual backs work, and my Meade LPR filters works, my FR has a tough time (I made a spacer so it doesn't thread all the way). Apparently either the size of the threaded part or the pitch has slightly changed.

Regards,

Jeff

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

Meade and Celestron have slightly different threads, so the Meade FR may not thread right on the Celestron.

#5 dbledsoe

dbledsoe

Apollo

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:12 PM

Jeff,

Who is the maunfacturer of your focal reducer, Celestron or Meade? I don't have an FR yet but perhaps that will help my selection since DonW says there is a difference in thread (thanks for that tip DonW!) I reckon I'll go with a Celestron FR. I have noticed that some Astro-Tech and Orion accessories will not thread correctly (fully) on my C5 like the AT SCT diagonal and the Orion 2" visual back.

Best to you,

Don

#6 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

I have a Celestron FR (about 4 years old).

Someone on Uncle Rod's group called celestron and they were told that that was a slight difference. (One way of telling that your scope is really old:))

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics