•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Uncle Rod's AstroBlog has been updated for 5/8/2022

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: US

Posted 08 May 2022 - 01:35 PM

Yes, no kiddin...it really has been!

I know we lost a few months--that was due to problems beyond your old Unk's control. But I believe this one will deliver quite a bit of that old-fashioned, down-home, Uncle Rod goodness:

https://uncle-rods.b...er-night-1.html

Attached Thumbnails

• astro tour bus.JPG

• Cyrano, ArizonaScott, George N and 5 others like this

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 08 May 2022 - 01:43 PM

Very nice!   I wish Celestron would update the NexStar+ firmware so that it no longer abbreviates "Boötes" as "Bo÷".  I've prodded them about that over the years...

(I guess "ö" is what threw them.   "Boo" would be fine; the dots over the O aren't required in Latin.)  

Are you still happy with your GM811G?

• rmollise likes this

#3 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2022 - 01:56 PM

Very nice!   I wish Celestron would update the NexStar+ firmware so that it no longer abbreviates "Boötes" as "Bo÷".  I've prodded them about that over the years...

(I guess "ö" is what threw them.   "Boo" would be fine; the dots over the O aren't required in Latin.)  

Very happy, Michael. But the Advanced VX just keeps on doing its thing like the Energizer Bunny year after year after year. :)

• George N and Michael Covington like this

#4 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

Posted 08 May 2022 - 01:59 PM

Yes; I have an AVX with that same attribute.  Never high-performance, but always reliable!

#5 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2022 - 02:03 PM

Yes; I have an AVX with that same attribute.  Never high-performance, but always reliable!

With PPEC applied mine easily guides at 1" or a little better. Which is all I need. ;)

#6 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:27 PM

"ö" is same as "oe" a soft vowel vs. a hard vowel.

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:59 PM

"ö" is same as "oe" a soft vowel vs. a hard vowel.

In German.  Boötes is not German, it's Latin.  The two dots signify that the two O's are separate syllables (Bo-o-tes).  They are totally optional because in Latin, two O's have to be two separate syllables anyhow.  The Latin name is a borrowing of Greek Βοώτης, which has an omicron followed by an omega, which likewise have to be two syllables.

• turtle86, John O'Hara and SkyRanger like this

#8 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

Posted 11 May 2022 - 03:02 PM

In German.  Boötes is not German, it's Latin.  The two dots signify that the two O's are separate syllables (Bo-o-tes).  They are totally optional because in Latin, two O's have to be two separate syllables anyhow.  The Latin name is a borrowing of Greek Βοώτης, which has an omicron followed by an omega, which likewise have to be two syllables.

The only thing I know about astronomy is the foreign languages :)

Seriously, I'm a linguist by training and original profession -- so that comes close to being true!

#9 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

• Loc: L2

Posted 11 May 2022 - 03:41 PM

Guess this means I need to stop pronouncing it as "booties"  lol.gif

#10 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

Posted 11 May 2022 - 04:47 PM

Guess this means I need to stop pronouncing it as "booties"  lol.gif

Right.  It's "Bo Oaties."

#11 ilovecomets

ilovecomets

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Unk. As always these are great to read. I’m glad you’re having decent enough skies to write a blog post. They’ve been let’s say less than ideal up here in the cold, cloudy Northeast. Of course the one clear night we have is around the full moon. I kid that that intensity of the full moon burns away the clouds. Have jokingly of course because it seems like that’s the only time it’s ever clear.

Clear skies and keep looking up!
  • Michael Covington likes this

#12 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Unk. As always these are great to read. I’m glad you’re having decent enough skies to write a blog post. They’ve been let’s say less than ideal up here in the cold, cloudy Northeast. Of course the one clear night we have is around the full moon. I kid that that intensity of the full moon burns away the clouds. Have jokingly of course because it seems like that’s the only time it’s ever clear.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

Here's my lunar eclipse image...  lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• clouds 6btv sm.jpg

• NC Startrekker, Michael Covington and MikeHC8 like this

#13 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Apollo

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:00 PM

Except for the radio antennae, it looks exactly like mine Rod! 

• rmollise likes this

#14 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:37 AM

Except for the radio antennae, it looks exactly like mine Rod! 

I know a lot of amateur astronomers who are also hams!  Some how I missed the fact Uncle Rod was a ham.

Me, I am KC9FPZ.  So what kind of antenna is that you have setup Uncle Rod?

• rmollise likes this

#15 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:08 AM

I know a lot of amateur astronomers who are also hams!  Some how I missed the fact Uncle Rod was a ham.

Me, I am KC9FPZ.  So what kind of antenna is that you have setup Uncle Rod?

That is my beloved Hustler 6BTV (which I can also put on 160). After the XYL, Miss Dorothy, and I moved to our retirement digs here, I was told in no uncertain terms, "Your tower days are over, mister." And that's OK...with a good radial field it has done an awesome job. :)

Yep...been on the air for...dang...53 freaking years come this summer. gramps.gif

De W4NNF...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics