•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is a normal noisy/hot pixel behavior for a used Canon 6D?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 piaras

piaras

Apollo

• Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:15 AM

The more lights you take, the signal swamps the noise. Here is an example of over 150 lights taken with my 6D before I switched to the RA, at 30-60 seconds and ISO 800 and 1600. This photo was taken with no darks, bias nor flats. I should of taken a set of flats for the dust motes. 

Pierre

Attached Thumbnails

• B3F6A1B7-6053-4007-9AB2-98E66896D720.jpeg

Edited by piaras, 14 May 2022 - 08:48 AM.

• BPoletti likes this

#27 vidrazor

vidrazor

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:38 AM

I appreciate the advice guys, but like I said, I have a while to wait for my OTA. I'll look at more reliable sources for canon 6d's, and I am also looking at used Nikon d600's or other full frame cameras with good low light ISO. 

What makes you think you need a full frame sensor anyway? The vast majority of astro images are shot with APS-C and even smaller sensors. You don't need a large sensor to mitigate noise, you need time. You need lots of subs, especially if you're shooting in a high Bortle location. Below is only 3 hour's worth of the Cygnus Loop shot in Bortle 9 with a full frame D600 on an AT60ED. Not too impressive, right? But hey, it's a full frame sensor, no? It looks like crap because I didn't shoot enough time, and then I proceeded to pull hens teeth LOL. I would've needed about 10-15 hour's worth of time (in Bortle 9) to get this right. This was a project I had started but unfortunately could not finish at the time, I'll try it again next fall.

So really, don't get too hung up on having a full frame sensor to shoot astro. An APS-C based camera will allow you access to more scopes that will vignette significantly on a full frame sensor as well. But you already have the 6D, you could just roll with it when you get your scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• das cyg.jpg

Edited by vidrazor, 14 May 2022 - 10:32 AM.

• BPoletti likes this

#28 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:35 AM

What makes you think you need a full frame sensor anyway? The vast majority of astro images are shot with APS-C and even smaller sensors. You don't need a large sensor to mitigate noise, you need time. You need lots of subs, especially if you're shooting in a high Bortle location. Below is only 3 hour's worth of the Cygnus Loop shot in Bortle 9 with a full frame D600 on an AT60ED. Not too impressive, right? But hey, it's a full frame sensor, no? It looks like crap because I didn't shoot enough time, and then I proceeded to pull hens teeth LOL. I would've needed about 10-15 hour's worth of time (in Bortle 9) to get this right. This was a project I had started but unfortunately could not finish at the time, I'll try it again next fall.

So really, don't get too hung up on having a full frame sensor to shoot astro. An APS-C based camera will allow you access to more scopes that will vignette significantly on a full frame sensor as well. But you already have the 6D, you could just roll with it when you get your scope.

Very good point considering most of the scopes don't have an image circle large enough to cover a full frame sensor with a nice and flat image.

#29 piaras

piaras

Apollo

• Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:34 PM

Mostly I use my RA day and night. Also when doing photos with prime lenses on the larger targets. 
Pierre

#30 zernikepolynomial

zernikepolynomial

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:40 AM

The more lights you take, the signal swamps the noise. Here is an example of over 150 lights taken with my 6D before I switched to the RA, at 30-60 seconds and ISO 800 and 1600. This photo was taken with no darks, bias nor flats. I should of taken a set of flats for the dust motes. 

Pierre

It completely depends on the telescope and guiding when determining what you can get away with.

#31 zernikepolynomial

zernikepolynomial

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:43 AM

I never said you need a full frame camera to mitigate noise. I think we are getting into territory that is better discussed in its own thread.

#32 zernikepolynomial

zernikepolynomial

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:44 AM

Very good point considering most of the scopes don't have an image circle large enough to cover a full frame sensor with a nice and flat image.

There are many scopes that do have an image circle large enough to cover a full frame sensor and remain flat. Also, discussion for another thread.

#33 zernikepolynomial

zernikepolynomial

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 05:09 AM

Going to check the voltage on my battery. Got another tip in a different thread I created.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics