•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Option to moung guide scope and guide camera.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Poisonokie

Poisonokie

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 03:23 AM

Thanks to the help of many good CN memebers, I have chosen to purchase a Esprit 100 APO f/5.5 for moded DSLR imaging and/or using Canon T-Tthread cells holding Baader 2" Hubble pallet NB Filters, should I be able to use them with a color camera. The answer to this I do not know yet. I could used them individually or one at a time in a series of lights, darks, and flats.

Many members know I was run over by a truck and suffered brain, bone, and joint injuries which caused me to recently sell my C-11 Edge HD and I will be selling my CGX mount ASAP. It was all to much for me, especially trying to slide the 11" SGT onto the Losmandy rail. 

I picked the Skywatcher EQRR-Pro mount, though the head is slightly less heavy, it is belt-driven, very popular, and is Canon DLR friendly. I know how to utilize my Polemaster for alignment, though guiding should be much easier with such a short focal length refractor.

Now I need to figure out the best choice for a guide scope and guide camera, and how to mount it with the Esprit 100. On top of it? If so, which rail would I purchase to mount to flat portion of the scope's clamp rings?

It has been suggested to me to purchase a ASI 174 guide scope and a ASI 294, but I am open to other suggestions. I don't want to spend over $500 for these, if that much, but I darn shure want great guiding capabilities.

My other option is to buy a guide scope and guide camera that mounts side by side on a duel-saddle plate, as I imagine that the two would be aligned with each other like a finder scope on a telescope.

last of all, I have heard a D saddle is the best option for connecting the telescope to the mount, if this is true, what brand and is there a model number?

If I should pair side by side, which duel plate would you suggest I get? I don't want over-kill or a lot of extra weight, but I do want something that is relatively easy for a TBI damaged brain to operate and is reliable.

I don't know if the objective size matters or not with a suggested guide camera. i am guessing 50 mm or so, but honestly, even after 54 years of astronomical observing and astrophotography, I am at best starting over as a novice.

Thank you in advance everyone!

Esprit 100 APO f/5.5 / Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro, guide scope/camera?? / Spencer's Camera Moded Canon full-frame EOS R, Canon 6D (unmodified) Mannfroto Tripod/ Star Adventurer 2i Pro Pack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics