•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Worth effort with this equipment?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sbharrat

sbharrat

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:45 AM

Coming from the DSO side but I have been maddeningly frustrated by the lack of clear imaging hours (total of only 12 nights this year). With the time needed from my B8 for a decent image, this has worked out to only two images. The one thing I have noticed is that I do have a resonable number of nights where the seeing appears at least average and sky clear for a couple hours. It doesn't work for my DSO imaging but my understanding is that the total imaging time needed for planetary or lunar is significantly lower. (Even an hour at 10fps is a LOT of frames).

I have a widefield setup comprising a TS Optics 80mm/480mmFL coupled with a ZWO asi533mc camera. (I have an EdgeHD8 on the order list but who knows when that will ever become available.) My imaging scale is 1.62"/px. I also have a 2.5x barlow. It's definitely not what anyone uses for planetary but is it worth the effort or am I going to frustrate myself to point of being turned off from planetary forever? (I have seen the "small bore" thread but even those are mostly 4" to 6" scopes.) 

(I have read the FAQ and seen some of the tutorials mentioned in there, but if anyone has links that might be useful in my situation, appreciate a pointer to those.)

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:09 AM

Moon yes with refractor but I'd wait for EdgeHD to arrive before attempting planets.

• sbharrat likes this

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Skylab

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:33 AM

Do a search for "80mm" in this forum and you'll get a couple of hits (see below).

https://www.cloudyni...80mm-refractor/

https://www.cloudyni...-for-planetary/

The 8" will obviously be better, but you'll get something with the 80mm...

• sbharrat likes this

#4 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: MD

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:36 AM

Or find a used 10+ inch Newt or SCT?

• sbharrat likes this

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:13 AM

There's definitely no harm in trying.  It will get you that "quick fix" when you're going through imaging withdrawal and you'll not only learn new skills in the process, but you'll also learn to critically assess local seeing conditions and learn from experience what kind of daytime weather leads to what kind of night-time seeing.

One possible downside is that the bright planets are only visible in the pre-dawn hours right now.

• sbharrat likes this

#6 sbharrat

sbharrat

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:04 PM

Thanks all. From looking at some of the examples and from Tapio's comment, it looks like lunar is a good next step. Not only is it more achievable with my current equipment, it looks like many of the tools and processing techniques are similar. So I will be getting up the common learning curve on something a little bit easier. 

I definitely intend to come back to planetary.... I oh so want that picture of Saturn!! But by the time I am ready I hope to have the EdgeHD8 and ability to collimate/use it in hand. 

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:47 PM

Or you can take DSO’s from Bortle 8 even if the skies are not perfect. Short subs and LOTS of them will get you decent results. There are tons of folks posting good results all the time.

#8 sbharrat

sbharrat

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:16 AM

Or you can take DSO’s from Bortle 8 even if the skies are not perfect. Short subs and LOTS of them will get you decent results. There are tons of folks posting good results all the time.

Maybe my initial post was misleading. I wasn't saying that I don't do DSO imaging in my B8. I do. https://astro.bharra...ry/gallery.html But to get a decent image, I need about 10 hours per target and that translates to a lot of clear nights for each target. I was contrasting that to needing maybe a couple of hours of good seeing time for planetary or lunar. 

#9 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 16 May 2022 - 05:09 AM

I'd give it a go, as there are lots of skills to learn and perfect and you'll still have great fun doing it. Then when the big scope rocks up you'll be ready to hit the ground running.

• Lacaille likes this

#10 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 May 2022 - 03:49 PM

Hey, I've imaged Venus with my 60mm APO at 287mm F/L.  You can't hurt anything by trying.

0458F292 9648 4022 8454 388DCC0A8123

DB8D347F E51A 4961 B053 67EED9B3FCE1

• Kenny V., happylimpet and Lacaille like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics