•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First eye piece for a Nexstar 6se suggestions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 deepspacecase

deepspacecase

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:17 AM

Hello everyone I got a Nexstar 6se and it comes with only one eyepiece. I was thinking of a Zoom eyepiece they make. 8-24mm.

I know I also need filters. Can anyone recommend a good eye piece for this scope?

Or maybe I should go to classifieds (which I cant find for some reason) here on Cloudy nights. 

I was thinking of starting with planets and then moving out into the galaxies. 

#2 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 10:12 AM

32mm Plossl.
  • Dave Mitsky likes this

#3 AJK 547

AJK 547

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, Ill.

Posted 24 May 2022 - 10:43 AM

Hello everyone I got a Nexstar 6se and it comes with only one eyepiece. I was thinking of a Zoom eyepiece they make. 8-24mm.

I know I also need filters. Can anyone recommend a good eye piece for this scope?

Or maybe I should go to classifieds (which I cant find for some reason) here on Cloudy nights. 

I was thinking of starting with planets and then moving out into the galaxies. 

deepspacecase, I have two C6's with good optics and will invariably start a session with my BHZ 8-24.  This eyepiece gives me a good idea on 'seeing' conditions and I can quickly/easily change fl's when conditions change.  Since I live in a suburb of Chicago, the LP and general poor 'seeing' due to jetstream, etc. limits my luna and Solar System viewing to normally 15mm down to 8mm range (100x to 188x).  As whizbang mentions the 32mm Plossl is a staple for SCT widefield enjoyment...

#4 crn3371

crn3371

Vostok 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:02 AM

A zoom eyepiece is nice to have, it lets you quickly change magnification to suite viewing conditions. Some will start off with a zoom to see what magnification is best then switch over to a fixed eyepiece, others like the zoom so much that it’s all they’ll use (at least for medium to high power viewing). The Celestron 8-24 zoom is very popular and runs around $100, the other higher end option is the Baader zoom at around $300. 

• Dpasqa likes this

#5 rnyboy

rnyboy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY (Bortle 7/8)

Posted 28 May 2022 - 11:22 AM

If you're in it for the visual with a 6se I'd consider a lighted reticle eye piece for doing the initial alignment and, although I don't own one, I've read good things about zoom 8 - 24mm eps.  Apparently lots of people use one with the f/6.3 reducer/corrector for nearly100% of their visual work.  I don't do any visual observing but if I did I'd have a zoom ep.

Edited by rnyboy, 28 May 2022 - 11:23 AM.

#6 rcooley

rcooley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: El Dorado, Santa Fe, NM

Posted 28 May 2022 - 04:14 PM

32mm Plossl.

+1 for 32mm plössl. That’s what my first decent eyepiece was too, back in 2014.  It was a Televue. Never had a zoom. I’m all about prime lenses (or eyepieces). Matter of fact, all these eight years later, that 32mm is the first eyepiece I pull out of the case and plunk into my diagonal.  It’ a gem.

#7 deepspacecase

deepspacecase

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2022 - 08:29 PM

I found a good 32mm Plossi on amazon. Im also interested in the 8-24mm zoom but already have the 24mm that came with it. The zoom is on sale there too 77 bucks. 

I like the idea of three depths of field, the 24mm the 32mm Plossi and then what?

#8 rnyboy

rnyboy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY (Bortle 7/8)

Posted 30 May 2022 - 08:17 AM

Well, if you really want to do planets, then think about going lower or get a good 2x Barlow for your next addition.  A 2x Barlow will give you the equivalent of 12mm and 16mm from your 24mm and 32mm, respectively. 

#9 deepspacecase

deepspacecase

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2022 - 04:50 PM

Ok thats an idea I like. Now Im wondering if the zoom might be the way to go, all of those ranges. 

8-24mm

#10 cneal

cneal

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:19 AM

When I bought my C9.25E last summer I ordered a 36mm eyepiece and a 8-24 zoom. I did not see the zoom for  long term usage, but as an opportunity to see what magnifications I would use. After several nights I started puchasing additional eyepieces. I ended up buying a 17, 9, and 6.5mm.

The brand you buy will depend on what you see as a reasonable cost. Some features, such as wide angle and relief, will cost more. Only you can determine what is worth spending for. The zoom is a low cost alternative that will allow you to have a personal opinion instead of relying on thers to spend your money.

#11 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 31 May 2022 - 11:55 AM

At some point you need to think about upgrading from Plossls to 68 or 82 degree eyepieces.

I just checked the specs on a SVbony zoom.  Field of view varies from 40 to 57 degrees.  Due to the limited field of view, I have never owned a zoom.

If you're mostly interested in planets, 200x is about as high as you want to go...say 7.5mm.  If you are mostly doing planets, the FOV is less of an issue.  Get the zoom.

• Orion68 likes this

#12 Orion68

Orion68

Apollo

Posted 04 June 2022 - 12:52 PM

I have the Baader Zoom.

While it is very good optically, be aware that zoom eyepieces have a fairly narrow field of view at the low power setting. I found this was not workable for me. They are very convenient however (no constant changing of eyepieces) and many people love them. It's just a personal preference thing.

I agree the 32mm Plossl is a good option as a low power eyepiece. For another eyepiece to complement the one you have, it kind of depends on what your current eyepiece is. If your current eyepiece is 25mm (or so), I might opt for an 11-12 mm eyepiece to give you a little more power for nights of good seeing. The Agena Starguider 12mm is a very nice eyepiece for a reasonable price. Mine was $60, but I think the price has gone up.

Good luck.

#13 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Posted 04 June 2022 - 02:06 PM

Purchasing a 32mm Plössl is a good idea.

If you decide to go the fixed focal length eyepiece route, the 60-degree Astro-Tech Paradigm Dual EDs are worth considering.

https://www.astronom...iece_series=478

The 82-degree Astro-Tech UWAs are currently on sale and are one of the best bargains to be found in today's topsy-turvy amateur astronomy market.

https://www.astronom...ece_series=1051

CN members get a small discount on non-sales items at Astronomics.

https://www.cloudyni...y_discount.html

If you're observing from a location that has good seeing, you might be able to use an eyepiece in the 8 to 10mm range for lunar and planetary observing frequently.

https://www.astronom...gm-dual-ed.html

https://www.astronom...5-eyepiece.html

#14 deepspacecase

deepspacecase

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2022 - 09:03 PM

Astronomic's has some good lenses, 65 isnt bad. 82 deg FOV lens, thats huge. What would the Plossl 32mm be compared to that? Thats what I want least magnification most light. 

I ended up getting a barlow and a 18mm, and the 24mm. I dont know if I would have light gathering abilities for that 8MM you sent a link for but my 18mm with barlow would give me 9mm. 

If I dont get a plassl then a wide field of view lens would round it out. It seems with my scope 32mm is the least magnification you can do. But some one also mentioned a 12mm Starguider, wouldnt I get that with the barlow and the 24? Anyhow thoughts on wide field of view lens?

Sucks, I was waiting on broken tripod from celestron, got that back and then rechargeable 1.5v lipos were lost in mail. So Iv just tried building my kit while I wait. But thanks for the info guys. 

Edited by deepspacecase, 05 June 2022 - 09:08 PM.

#15 Dpasqa

Dpasqa

Viking 1

• Loc: Asheville NC

Posted 06 June 2022 - 08:21 PM

I would start with an 8–24 Zoom followed by one low magnification wide field view for exploring the sky in large segments and lastly one high magnification eyepiece for seeing the moon and planets. Those would be good starters you can fill-in the rest as time goes by if needed. I have several other Eyepieces but I almost never use them, these three cover all the bases for me.

I’ve gone through a bunch of Eyepieces and with my Celestron Evolution I settled on the following. A Celestron 8–24 zoom, there are better ones out there but this one seems to work pretty well for me. For low magnification wide field of view, I went with the Astrotech 28 mm at 82° AFOV for about $200. When I plugged in the specs wand my telescope into astronomy tools website, it’s stacked up right against the Pentax 40mm Eyepiece. The field was almost identical. I couldn’t justify paying $200 more for the brand-name. Lastly for my high magnification eyepiece, I am using the Oberwerk 7mm 70° AFOV a piece. I use this one because it’s part of the set I use with my BT100 binocular telescope. I am quite happy with it but any decent eyepiece between around 5 and 8 mm will suffice. 

Eyepieces are a journey on their own. I’ve seen people argue about them on the forum so all I can say is buy what you can afford and don’t get too carried away in the beginning. If you buy new most places give you 30 days to try them out and return if you don’t like it. If you buy used it’s great because if you don’t want to keep it you won’t lose money. So it’s a tossup new versus used, depends on your budget. Best wishes in your journey of being a junior astronomer. 

#16 deepspacecase

deepspacecase

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2022 - 09:31 AM

What about adding a Barlow to a 18mm eyepiece for 9mm? Or would the barlow rob too much light?

I found a SVBONY 6mm Plossl for 15 bucks on Amazon, too much magnification and not enough light gathering. 

Im in 0 light pollution area. 

Edited by deepspacecase, 07 June 2022 - 09:46 AM.

#17 deepspacecase

deepspacecase

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2022 - 08:52 PM

Well I think Ill save my money for the ASTRO-TECH 8MM, dont know how bad eye relief will be but I should spend some money on the higher magnification eyepiece.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics