•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eclipse targets

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 14 May 2022 - 10:37 AM

Eclipses are a bit anticlimactic. Some social diversion or alternate targets can break up the event and allow you to refocus periodically and notice changes. What occultations or otherwise washed out targets will be on your observing plan tomorrow?

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:58 PM

Eclipses are a bit anticlimactic. Some social diversion or alternate targets can break up the event and allow you to refocus periodically and notice changes. What occultations or otherwise washed out targets will be on your observing plan tomorrow?

I enjoy watching a total lunar eclipse, as they last for quite a while and don't require extensive travel or positioning in order to view.  Indeed, we are opening Hyde Memorial Observatory in Lincoln, Nebraska for the public to view the event.  Lunar eclipses are pretty and relaxing, so while I might point one of our Hyde Observatory scopes to another bright target like a star cluster or double star during the eclipse temporarily, for the most part, we will just leave them pointed at the moon.  Clear skies to you.

NewC14Mathis2.jpg

Edited by David Knisely, 14 May 2022 - 01:59 PM.

• flt158 likes this

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Hubble

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:17 PM

Eclipses are a bit anticlimactic.

Lunar eclipses are stunningly beautiful. I wish they were more common. I can spend the entire time watching a lunar eclipse at low magnification, as the Moon glides through the star field. Especially if it's a rich one. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark 

• Ptarmigan and flt158 like this

#4 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Soyuz

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 14 May 2022 - 03:55 PM

No observing plan. I'll set up the 8" for the neighborhood kids to look at the moon. It will be a top shelf margarita night!

• bphaneuf likes this

#5 TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:44 AM

Lunar eclipses are stunningly beautiful. I wish they were more common. I can spend the entire time watching a lunar eclipse at low magnification, as the Moon glides through the star field. Especially if it's a rich one.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Yes, they are pretty during totality! However, I find it much easier to note progress if you are not gazing unblinkingly at the moon from first penumbral contact to last.

#6 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Hubble

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:56 AM

I find it much easier to note progress if you are not gazing unblinkingly at the moon from first penumbral contact to last.

That's because your eyes are drying out. You'll have to remember blinking now and then. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

PS: grin.gif

Edited by Astrojensen, 15 May 2022 - 08:57 AM.

• rowdy388 likes this

#7 rowdy388

rowdy388

Aurora

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 15 May 2022 - 10:23 AM

The moon looks other-worldly during an eclipse. I like to image I'm a space traveler looking at an alien planet. No telescope needed.

#8 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 15 May 2022 - 02:09 PM

This will be my first time to observe a Lunar eclipse with my newest scope, the ES 6" Mak-Newt F/4.8, and my newest eyepiece, the Astro-Tech 28mm UWA 82*, with a power of 26x and a 3.2* FOV, it should look awesome!

I'll be checking out some of my favorite carbon stars during the eclipse, like T Lyrae, SS Virginis, Y CVn, and V Corona Borealis,

Clear Skies

Bruce

#9 Sketcher

Sketcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Under Earth's Sky

Posted 15 May 2022 - 03:23 PM

I think I'll be fine with the moon, its immediate surroundings, listening for possible reactions from coyotes (other wildlife?), noting how the landscape illumination changes through the various phases of the eclipse, etc.

My only plan is to enjoy the eclipse.  Some sketching?  Maybe so.  Maybe not.  Whatever I feel like doing or not doing. smile.gif

• payner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics