•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is this horrible?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 michael68

michael68

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 10:52 AM

I have a new scope coming in the mail (bought used from a CN'er) and have the camera, guide scope and guide camera all picked out already. 

I stopped to think for a moment. Just like my SVX102T and C6 SCT, I have no intention to ever look through this new scope with my eye.

You believe that? I have never even attached a diagonal or eyepiece to my Stellarvue triplet. An instrument painstaking made by Vic's team that took over three months of work and with a strehl ratio over 99%! The day it arrived, I slapped on a flattener, filterwheel and asi1600 and never looked back.

Don't get me wrong, I've done my time. 20 years ago, I was out there like the rest of ya'll shivering in the freezing cold, using my "averted vision" because I'm not sure if I actually see that faint, featureless glow of a distant galaxy or if the heat from my eyeball is just fogging up the eyepiece. But that's exactly why I don't even bother anymore. I've done it both ways and the excitement I get when I see that image pop up on my computer screen is what I've always wanted to feel when I saw it in my eyepiece. Unfortunately, I've mostly just been a little disappointed when I did finally find it.. If I found it at all. I just have no interest in looking at a smear in the sky anymore or staring at Jupiter long enough for that moment of perfect seeing that concludes instantly. 

Galileo must be rolling in his grave! But I wonder. Am I alone in my blasphemy? Who among you is without sin? grin.gif

• nofxrx, dswtan, ArcticWolf and 3 others like this

#2 hornjs

hornjs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:04 AM

I don’t have a stellarview but my esprit 120 hasn’t seen an eyepiece either.  cool.gif

#3 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Apollo

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:04 AM

Defintiely not horrible.  I have the exact opposite perspective, I like direct visual observing, have no interest in AP, but who knows what the future will bring?  Maybe some day, I will be like you.  And maybe some day, you will look through an eyepiece again.  Or maybe not.  Whatever brings you joy in this hobby is good.

Also, I am glad to have all the APers to post the fantastic pictures hey do.  I do enjoy looking at them.

• michael68 and Barlowbill like this

#4 Ljubo

Ljubo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:13 AM

Yeah..... and I never looked through my RASA 11 bawling.gif

#5 ziggeman

ziggeman

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:14 AM

I've ' done my time' too. Freezing my butt for hours at a reticle eyepiece, guiding a c14 for a fuzzy comet (Kohotek)or galaxy M31. and then the Darkroom developing film in chemistry fumes.  Thank god for the new techcrazy.gif

• MikeTahtib and OldManSky like this

#6 Sky King

Sky King

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:14 AM

Don't know if it's a sin, but I hardly ever use an eyepiece. The image on your computer screen can be captured, stacked, processed and kept: Printed or emailed. examined, compared, enjoyed. Then imaging from inside the house: neighbor's a smoker, mosquito's, comfort. Not to mention doing something else while the images stream in. What's not to like? And of course we always have the option of using an eyepiece. Once when my software wasn't talking to each other, I looked through the scope tube visually, centered the moon, put the mount on lunar tracking and had a fun night. 

• MikeTahtib likes this

#7 michael68

michael68

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:26 AM

I've ' done my time' too. Freezing my butt for hours at a reticle eyepiece, guiding a c14 for a fuzzy comet (Kohotek)or galaxy M31. and then the Darkroom developing film in chemistry fumes.  Thank god for the new techcrazy.gif

Oh wow! Yeah, I forgot about the old film days! LOL! 

Wow... that brings me back. 

You know.... I should pull out that old nikon and figure out where I could buy a roll of film and let that thing autoguide for an hour or so!

In those days you didn't get to stack or drop subs! You had to be perfect for an hour or more! 

Thank god for technology is right!

Edited by michael68, 14 May 2022 - 11:29 AM.

• ziggeman likes this

#8 Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW, TX

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:32 AM

I just got a new EdgeHD 9.25. When I ordered it and the related accessories, I never once considered that I might actually look through it. After pulling it out of the box and setting it on a mount, the idea of doing some visual started to take root. I may look through it at some point!

Bob

#9 idclimber

idclimber

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:38 AM

The other day I found this in my collection of adaptors and unused bits and pieces. I have no idea what it is for other than I vaguely recall it showing up about the same time as my SVX102. I have a similar one that I vaguely recall using on my SCT, but I do not remember what for. 

Oh well, back to Pixinsight and processing M106. 

IMG_2923.jpg

#10 michael68

michael68

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:42 AM

The other day I found this in my collection of adaptors and unused bits and pieces. I have no idea what it is for other than I vaguely recall it showing up about the same time as my SVX102. I have a similar one that I vaguely recall using on my SCT, but I do not remember what for. 

Oh well, back to Pixinsight and processing M106. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2923.jpg

Ha ha haaa!!! I have that same piece sitting in the SFFX-1 flattener box! lol.gif  Ahh... you guys make me so much better! Thank you! 

Edited by michael68, 14 May 2022 - 11:43 AM.

#11 Normmalin

Normmalin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:55 AM

My diagonals are still in their shrink wrap....bought the scopes for astrophotography -- did my visual astronomy about 25 years ago with an 8" Dob -- that was enough!  

#12 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:58 AM

I currently have 6 scopes. Only 1 of them has ever had an eyepiece attached.

Not a sin...just astrophotography :)

#13 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:59 AM

So, what do you guys do when you get to the dark sky site, and get the rig running?

Just sit there and watch the squiggles on the PHD2 graph? 

Waste of dark sky....

(Yeah, I know some of you have home observatories, and you sit inside and watch tv or something...,,,)

Alex 

#14 michael68

michael68

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:13 PM

Waste of dark sky....

Good question Alex! I personally think not getting those pixels on my hard drive is a waste of dark sky!

I used to live in PA and could see the milkyway on any clear night. (how I miss that) Back then I had a 14" RCX-400 and you know what? I never saw details...I just saw more smudges. Sure I got the indication of a spiral arm on the brighter objects.. M33, M51. Some dark lanes on M31. But I couldn't see detail on the black eye galaxy... The needle galaxy was nothing more than a central bulge with a little indication of a darkness in front and most of the time, I couldn't "see" it. I could only "sense" it by looking just to the right or left of it.  And that was a 14" SCT! 

Edited by michael68, 14 May 2022 - 12:14 PM.

#15 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:32 PM

>>>>>>Good question Alex! I personally think not getting those pixels on my hard drive is a waste of dark sky!

This is not an either-or situation. The old imaging scope can easily be repurposed to visual. YOu can have both. 

Alex

• michael68 and ziggeman like this

#16 idclimber

idclimber

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:37 PM

>>>>>>Good question Alex! I personally think not getting those pixels on my hard drive is a waste of dark sky!

This is not an either-or situation. The old imaging scope can easily be repurposed to visual. YOu can have both. 

Alex

Absolutely correct Alex. Although a lot easier for an experienced imager who is more likely to have multiple scopes and mounts. I would also have to resist the temptation to simply get another imaging session going. 

#17 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:11 PM

Last week (or the weekend before?) I had twenty-four kids from a local high school at our deep sky observing site. I let them push the button to open the roof on the observatory (and close it, and reopen it, and all) and, then told SGP to get going when it got dark enough. Then, I went outside (or whatever one calls it when leaving a roll off roof obs), and told SGP to take a set of pics with the portable rig on one of the pads. Then, I sat there the rest of the evening pushing the fifteen inch dob around with the kids looking through it and the parallelogram-mount 75mm binoculars at various Messier Objects.

Don't waste dark sky. 

(Of course, the next Tuesday or something, I drove out, told SGP to take pictures, and went into the house and went to sleep!) 

Alex

• Sheridan likes this

#18 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:23 PM

Not horrible. My refractor has never had an eyepiece attached. 

My reflector, on the other hand, does have a diagonal and one zoom eyepiece, for occasions where family members are around when planets are visible. Otherwise it's imaging all the way. 

#19 Jarno

Jarno

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:34 PM

You believe that? I have never even attached a diagonal or eyepiece to my Stellarvue triplet. An instrument painstaking made by Vic's team that took over three months of work and with a strehl ratio over 99%!

Precisely, so why degrade such a fine instruments performance by coupling it to the Mk1 eyeball that hasn't been significantly updated in millennia and has a Strehl of what, 80% at best? If you want to get the most out of your instrument then obviously astrophotography is the way to go. grin.gif

Jarno

• DeepSky Di likes this

#20 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:03 PM

I have an Esprit 100 with the diagonal and finder still in the original plastic in the case.  I have done visual with my Meade 2080, but these days I use the Esprit with a camera 100% of the time.

• OldManSky likes this

#21 michael68

michael68

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:45 PM

Alex

Definitely true! But the idea of messing with my optical train after all my flats are stacked and mastered is daunting. 

Edited by michael68, 14 May 2022 - 02:45 PM.

#22 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Apollo

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:45 PM

So, what do you guys do when you get to the dark sky site, and get the rig running?

Just sit there and watch the squiggles on the PHD2 graph? 

Waste of dark sky....

(Yeah, I know some of you have home observatories, and you sit inside and watch tv or something...,,,)

Alex 

Well, if they have nothing to do at the dark sky site after the rig is all set up and tracking, they can come and look at whatever I have my Dob pointed to.

• Sky King and OldManSky like this

#23 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Vanguard

Posted 14 May 2022 - 03:51 PM

I see it the other way. 

Like, buying a $2000+ expensive scope for visual use only.  Triplets with all sorts of coating technology and a focuser that alone costs $1000 and someone is looking a the Moon with it, once a season. 

#24 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 14 May 2022 - 04:04 PM

Alex 

Yeah, or better have a beer watching the PHD2 graph.lol.gif

But all my scopes have seen eyepieces!

• OldManSky likes this

#25 shams42

shams42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Johnson City, TN

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:20 PM

When I owned a TOA-130, I only put an eyepiece in it a couple of times. Once to set / verify collimation and once to look at Jupiter (which was unforgettable).

I also owned a LOMO 80/480 that I only used visually a handful of times for solar observing (including the 2012 Venus transit and the 2016 Mercury transit).

I wish I'd used both of them visually more often before I sold them. At the time my entire rig was set up around imaging so it was a lot of work to switch over to visual mode.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics