•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2 Star Alignment with Stellarium & CEM70

Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JTNX01DC

JTNX01DC

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: MA 01463

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:10 AM

Any suggestions on how to do a 2 star alignment with an iOptron CEM70 and Stellarium combination? Thus far I've been using sharpcap for polar alignment. 

Tks in advance!

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:56 AM

Hi Joe:

Why make a simple process more complex? Just use the alignment process in the Handset if you need to do any star alignment. I never do alignments since plate solving takes care of everything and is more accurate. Just set up ASTAP as your plate solver in Sharpcap and you'll never need to look back.....nor need to do a star alignment.

Cheers

Gary

Edited by GaryShaw, 14 May 2022 - 11:57 AM.

• barbarosa, JTNX01DC and steveincolo like this

#3 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village (Bortle 1) or the rain forest

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:07 PM

Any suggestions on how to do a 2 star alignment with an iOptron CEM70 and Stellarium combination? Thus far I've been using sharpcap for polar alignment. 

Tks in advance!

If you are imaging, I'd suggest just PAing and then skip doing any star alignments and just use plate solving after each goto. I've been using a CEM120 and CEM60 for several years and have never done a 1, 2 or 3 star alignment. 

I use Astroart 8 (AA8) for mount and imaging train control. It has a built in plate solving engine, and plate solve assist for gotos:

1) start from home and goto first target and take a ~10 sec exposure; AA8 will plate solve it, determine the actual location of the image centre, then issue another goto which will typically place the image centre to within ~20 arc seconds of the target location.

2) take another ~10 sec exposure to confirm that target is centred.

• JTNX01DC and steveincolo like this

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:18 PM

Moving from EAA to Astronomy Software & Computers for a better fit.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics