•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comfort of eyepieces different from day to day

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:25 PM

I find this very strange, an eyepiece I find perfect one day, is difficult to use on other day.. especially for moon observation. I mainly use 4 eyepieces for the moon.

- 6mm HD OR fujiyama

- 5mm HD OR fujiyama

- 6mm Delos

- 4.7mm ES 82

There is a real battle between the 6mm Delos and the 6mm Fujiyama. The 5mm and 4.7mm, I use them much less because of atmospheric limitations, (I don't really like the 5mm). During my last observations, I took the 6mm Delos out and had troubles.

#1. Fatigue on my eye, some kind of weird eye strain, I get that with the 4.7mm also.. same thing as trying to see through a pair of glass at the wrong power, you know?

#1. Eye placement

#2. Excess of brightness

The last 4 observations it was much easier for my eye to use the Ortho 6 even with the tight eye relief. I think it's letting less light in?  But the before.. it was different with the Delos.  Could it be because of age (40) deterioration of vision? Perhaps just one bad day for the eyes too.. don't know.

Edited by N3p, 14 May 2022 - 12:26 PM.

• rowdy388 likes this

#2 russell23

russell23

Hubble

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 May 2022 - 03:42 PM

I’ve used all the Delos from 6mm on up.  I find the 14mm the easiest to look through, followed by the 10mm.  I have noticed “eye strain” with the other focal lengths, but there are a lot of people that will tell you they don’t have any eye strain with the Delos.  

I think the interesting thing about the Delos is that, while they are designed with enough eye relief for glasses, they also seem to perform most comfortably if you get the eye guard set to the correct spot - which may not be conducive for using glasses. 

You should give the 6mm Delos a few sessions to try and figure out how it will best work for you.  Every Delos I have used is very sharp, but I think the 14mm is the most comfortable.

• 25585 and N3p like this

#3 russell23

russell23

Hubble

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 May 2022 - 03:50 PM

Also keep in mind that what is the favorite can change from night to night.  A few nights ago I was out and my favorite view of the Moon was the 20mm XW with the 1.6x Nikon barlow which gave 92x.  I liked it more than the view with the 14mm Delos (80x) and 10mm Delos (112x).  On other nights it has been the 14mm Delos, 10mm Delos, or 9mm Morpheus.  So definitely figure out if that 6mm Delos can work for you.

• rowdy388 likes this

#4 GGK

GGK

Apollo

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 14 May 2022 - 06:19 PM

I find this very strange, an eyepiece I find perfect one day, is difficult to use on other day.. especially for moon observation. I mainly use 4 eyepieces for the moon.

- 6mm HD OR fujiyama

- 5mm HD OR fujiyama

- 6mm Delos

- 4.7mm ES 82

There is a real battle between the 6mm Delos and the 6mm Fujiyama. The 5mm and 4.7mm, I use them much less because of atmospheric limitations, (I don't really like the 5mm). During my last observations, I took the 6mm Delos out and had troubles.

#1. Fatigue on my eye, some kind of weird eye strain, I get that with the 4.7mm also.. same thing as trying to see through a pair of glass at the wrong power, you know?

#1. Eye placement

#2. Excess of brightness

The last 4 observations it was much easier for my eye to use the Ortho 6 even with the tight eye relief. I think it's letting less light in?  But the before.. it was different with the Delos.  Could it be because of age (40) deterioration of vision? Perhaps just one bad day for the eyes too.. don't know.

This happens to me when the Delos adjustable eyecup slips down a little and I don’t notice. It doesn’t move so much that I can’t see the image, but enough that my eye is straining a little to compensate. 

I’m now in the habit of pulling the eyecup all the way out each time I insert the eyepiece into the diagonal, then adjusting the height for best comfort. I observe with the eyecup nearly full up, so it’s easy to slip down a little when inserting it into the diagonal. 

Other than that, my Delos give consistent comfortable performance each night.

Gary

#5 N3p

N3p

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 11:03 AM

I will try to adjust the eyecup and eye guard again, maybe the angle of the eyepiece also. it's possible that I forgot where the comfort point is, because I didn't get out much in 2021, not sure if I even used it once in 2021 even.

The Delos will get more sessions for sure.

Edited by N3p, 15 May 2022 - 11:04 AM.

#6 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 15 May 2022 - 06:06 PM

I’ve used all the Delos from 6mm on up.  I find the 14mm the easiest to look through, followed by the 10mm.  I have noticed “eye strain” with the other focal lengths, but there are a lot of people that will tell you they don’t have any eye strain with the Delos.  

I think the interesting thing about the Delos is that, while they are designed with enough eye relief for glasses, they also seem to perform most comfortably if you get the eye guard set to the correct spot - which may not be conducive for using glasses. 

You should give the 6mm Delos a few sessions to try and figure out how it will best work for you.  Every Delos I have used is very sharp, but I think the 14mm is the most comfortable.

I find that with some Pentax XWs.

#7 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 15 May 2022 - 06:21 PM

Glare can make a difference. By that I mean not brightness on its own, but how the atmosphere interferes. Some eyepieces can cope better than others with observed projected light.

Refractors to a degree are similar, some are more affected by the light from an object being observed than others. 

I find some eyepieces are better at certain exit pupils than others of the same FL as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics