•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ImPPG is driving me crazy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Naples, Florida

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:28 PM

So yesterday I took 120 ten second videos spaced apart by 20 seconds.  Stacked the individual videos in AS3.  Took the 120 TIFF's from AS3 into ImPPG to batch process and align.  I'm having problems with the alignment part.  Unless I use the curves tool and really make the images to be aligned highly altered it will not align properly.  It produces only part of the picture and other weird stuff.  I'm guiding by hand with a cross hair on a sunspot so the images are not that far off one another to begin with.  Any ideas.  Maybe a different work flow?  I currently do  AS3 - ImPPG - PIPP.  Just starting off playing with animations.  Thanks in advance for any help.  

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Voyager 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:37 PM

Hi,

Hrm, sounds like they're low contrast and no discernible high contrast feature to align to perhaps. What alignment setting are you using? Can you show a screen shot of your IMPPG alignment settings and an example (JPG) of your primary unprocessed TIF?

Very best,

• David Boulanger likes this

#3 lorenzo italy

lorenzo italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montichiari (Bs) Italy

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:59 PM

Hi, David,
I had the same problems when the images had jagged frames, with the classic black steps appearing after stacking. Now after stacking and processing, I crop the images to have clean edges so the program doesn't get confused. Unfortunately it is a further step to take. It usually works. I don't know if your images have this problem.

Lorenzo

#4 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:32 PM

Here is the unprocessed photo and a photo of the ImPPG curved image that is needed for alignment to work.  Perhaps my initial images are over exposed.

jpeg cloudy.jpg

jpeg ImPPG cloudy.jpg

#5 SgrB2

SgrB2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ellicott City, MD

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:48 PM

Hi, David,
I had the same problems when the images had jagged frames, with the classic black steps appearing after stacking. Now after stacking and processing, I crop the images to have clean edges so the program doesn't get confused. Unfortunately it is a further step to take. It usually works. I don't know if your images have this problem.

Lorenzo

Ditto.  After stacking the edges of the frames usually throw off the

alignment process.  You gotta crop all frames the same good or bad ...

Cheers,

SgrB2

#6 steveward53

steveward53

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:03 PM

Try shoving the TIFFs through PIPP for alignment and quality assessment before putting them into AS3 to stack.

It will align the images and crop to whatever area of interest you tell it.

Much simpler and quicker than faffing about with IMPPG.

I use this method when shooting my full discs , PIPP crops the images and centres the disc , sorts by quality and outputs in AVI form for AS3 to do it's stuff on.

#7 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:30 PM

I stack the AVI though in AS3 to get the TIFF.   I'm clearly missing something here.

#8 Great Attractor

Great Attractor

Vendor - ImPPG Imaging Software

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 14 May 2022 - 03:32 PM

ImPPG will latch to any high contrast features, including stacking artifacts, if present. It seems your first image has some along the bottom edge. Try cropping those stacks a bit - then only "normal", mild sharpening should suffice for successful alignment. If it doesn't help, I can have a look at your stacks if you like.

• David Boulanger likes this

#9 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 05:56 AM

I took another two hours of sequences yesterday late afternoon.  Lowered my exposure with the histogram and everything aligned just fine.  My data that gave me problems was to washed out I guess.  Below is a adjusted frame example that gave me good alignment.

Filament cloudy.jpg

• Great Attractor, fiston and lorenzo italy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics