•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do you transport your 8"?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:31 PM

I have one of those. It's HUGE compared to the C8 OTA. I doubt I would use it for car travel. Just too big.

It does seem like it would protect the scope very well though. And it does seem to have a lot of durability. If you have the extra space then it would be a good choice.

That's not my experience.  The C8 fits snugly in the case without much extra room.  Are you thinking of the cylindrical Celestron case, perhaps?  I'm talking about the rectangular case.  See the link above.

PS.  The link from High Point shows a Celestron 4" Nexstar SE telescope inside.  The C8 occupies that entire space, so it's not overly big.  I can carry the whole scope and bag in one hand and put it in the car with no issues.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick, 18 May 2022 - 11:37 PM.

#27 Cali

Cali

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 19 May 2022 - 09:54 PM

Sherpa.

#28 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2022 - 12:09 AM

"Never turn your back on a fully loaded parallelogram mount. - Cali"

Like your quote!  So true!

• Cali likes this

#29 Echolight

Echolight

Skylab

• Loc: Texas

Posted 20 May 2022 - 05:42 AM

That's not my experience.  The C8 fits snugly in the case without much extra room.  Are you thinking of the cylindrical Celestron case, perhaps?  I'm talking about the rectangular case.  See the link above.

PS.  The link from High Point shows a Celestron 4" Nexstar SE telescope inside.  The C8 occupies that entire space, so it's not overly big.  I can carry the whole scope and bag in one hand and put it in the car with no issues.

Patrick

The C8 is about 1500 cubic inches by volume. And the case, 14x15x24, is 5000 cubic inches.

If you have the space, the case offers some nice protection. But if you want to tuck the case away in the floor between the front and back seat of your car, it probably aint happening.

#30 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2022 - 11:42 PM

The C8 is about 1500 cubic inches by volume. And the case, 14x15x24, is 5000 cubic inches.

If you have the space, the case offers some nice protection. But if you want to tuck the case away in the floor between the front and back seat of your car, it probably aint happening.

Inside dimensions are 19x11x10 which includes a 1.5" or so fully zippered pocket. (That pocket is very handy by the way).  C8 OD is 9.37" which is just slightly less than the 10" narrowest width, but that doesn't include the 1/2" thick CGE dovetail plate, or the Telrad/finder scope base, so add another 1/2" for that.  The OTA is 17" long not including any add-on accessories.  My scope fits in there lengthwise with very little extra room lengthwise. Yes, there is a little space on the side that I have to fill with a Celestron provided cushioned foam block, about 1.5" thick along the 11" side. 

So, bottom line, I don't buy your numbers.  The inside case volume is about 2100 cubic inches minus the zippered pocket which is about 320 cubic inches, so the total volume is about 1780 ci vs 1400 ci for the OTA and accessories (18"L x 10" dia).  That leaves about 300 ci or so of free space in the case.  As I said, it's a tight fit. 

For what it's worth, I would never store an unprotected OTA behind the drivers seat on the floor.  That's asking for trouble.   For me this particular case is just about perfect for the C8 OTA.  I say 'just about' because I could wish it were about 2" longer so I could use my FeatherTouch 2 speed focuser.

Patrick

#31 Echolight

Echolight

Skylab

• Loc: Texas

Posted 21 May 2022 - 12:45 AM

Inside dimensions are 19x11x10 which includes a 1.5" or so fully zippered pocket. (That pocket is very handy by the way).  C8 OD is 9.37" which is just slightly less than the 10" narrowest width, but that doesn't include the 1/2" thick CGE dovetail plate, or the Telrad/finder scope base, so add another 1/2" for that.  The OTA is 17" long not including any add-on accessories.  My scope fits in there lengthwise with very little extra room lengthwise. Yes, there is a little space on the side that I have to fill with a Celestron provided cushioned foam block, about 1.5" thick along the 11" side. 

So, bottom line, I don't buy your numbers.  The inside case volume is about 2100 cubic inches minus the zippered pocket which is about 320 cubic inches, so the total volume is about 1780 ci vs 1400 ci for the OTA and accessories (18"L x 10" dia).  That leaves about 300 ci or so of free space in the case.  As I said, it's a tight fit. 

For what it's worth, I would never store an unprotected OTA behind the drivers seat on the floor.  That's asking for trouble.   For me this particular case is just about perfect for the C8 OTA.  I say 'just about' because I could wish it were about 2" longer so I could use my FeatherTouch 2 speed focuser.

Patrick

I was actually referring to the volume of the external dimensions of the case. Which is close to 5000 cubic inches. I'm not trying to sell you these numbers. But I may have misremembered the exact dimensions. Celestron says 23x14x15 for external dimensions. And to be exact, that equals 4830 cubic inches of space that the case takes up.

Everyone's preference and situation is a little or a lot different. It's great for some people. I'm glad it's worked out for you. But I'm kind of in agreement with those who use a more compact soft case or foam lined gym bag or similar.

Certainly for carrying a C8 100 yards that the OP was asking about, I might just put it in a backpack and carry my tripod over my shoulder.

Edited by Echolight, 21 May 2022 - 12:55 AM.

#32 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 21 May 2022 - 06:46 AM

I use the Celestron OTA Bag for my 8" Edge. The case is plenty durable with hardened sides and thick rigid foam.

Patrick

Oh my. Costs almost as much as a c8.

#33 bumm

bumm

Gemini

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 21 May 2022 - 07:10 AM

a little beat over nearly 40 years from going from the Sierras to the desert , many states. 

scope stayed beautiful .

Original footlocker from my 8"SCT

Ditto.  I'm still using the footlocker my 1976 C8 came in.  I've cut away bits of the foam liner to accommodate various stuff, added a "bump" on the top to make room for my larger finder and pointer, and added a sort of sling thing made out of seat belt webbing to make it easier to lug around.  No, I don't toss it, but it keeps things collimated and pretty.  smile.gif  The brass door handle I added onto the fork last winter makes it easier to lug once I get it out of the box.

Marty

Attached Thumbnails

• Footlocker Thing  (5).jpg
  • footlocker thing (1) .jpg
  • C8 Door Handle  (6).jpg

• jim kuhns, Stardust Dave and CeeKay like this

#34 carver2011

carver2011

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 May 2022 - 01:45 PM

I use this from Amazon. I have a small SUV and a hard case takes up too much space.
https://www.amazon.c...YC0QNFAK5A1CR8B
This protects the OTA and has handles for carrying.
  • Echolight likes this

#35 nemo129

nemo129

Soyuz

• Loc: WMass

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:12 AM

Actually it is ~$46 cheaper on Amazon @$264 as of this posting, plus right now there is a $25 coupon off, so $70 less (i.e. $239 +tax) than the linked vendor in Patrick's post who will also charge you $20 to $50 shipping depending upon your location! Point taken that it is still a bit pricey compared to other solutions, DIY, adapted or none at all, but it works great for my EdgeHD800 which currently goes for over $1500...if you can get one... and it protects it very well. As for the space it takes up, that is why I bought the vehicle I have to carry gear so YMMV! wink.gif It's nice to have choices.

#36 fewayne

fewayne

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 22 May 2022 - 09:00 PM

I use this from Amazon. I have a small SUV and a hard case takes up too much space.
https://www.amazon.c...YC0QNFAK5A1CR8B
This protects the OTA and has handles for carrying.

That's pretty much exactly what I need, if my RC with its two rails will fit. I'll have to double-check the dimensions. Otherwise I guess  I'll go with the rolly toolbox. The nice thing about the latter is a place store fiddly bits too.

#37 Traveler

Traveler

Skylab

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:35 PM

Maybe this:

https://www.celestro...n-optical-tubes

Didnt knew Celestron offered these.

#38 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 23 May 2022 - 12:31 AM

Yes, it does seem so today.  When I bought mine 5+ years ago, it was a lot less expensive.

Patrick

#39 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 23 May 2022 - 12:50 PM

Patrick

Been doing it for nearly twenty years.  Of course "behind the drivers seat" means different things depending on the car and the driver.  When I drive I have the seat all the way back.  It works out very well in terms of snugging around the OTA.  A short legged person...might need a cushion or something to take up the space.  (Or buy a bigger SCT)

I haven't particularly noticed any cosmetic repercussions.  The optics are well protected behind the front cover.  Anyhow to each his own.    I dedicate my "protection fetishism" to the apos.  I think it's a bit comical when I see these used apo ads where the owner apologetically provides a close-up of a 1x1mm nick in the paint.  But when anything happens to one of my apos, which fortunately is not often, I freak.

We are of course talking about an open truss 8 inch cass so that is a very different situation.  There's no telling what kind of grime can get in during transport.   I'm not sure I could think of anything as good as/better than a carrying case in that situation.  A big plastic box with appropriate cushioning (such as a thick yoga mat cut to fit) along the lines Rod suggested would likely do the trick.  

Greg N

• Echolight likes this

#40 Traveler

Traveler

Skylab

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 23 May 2022 - 11:04 PM

A SCT behind the seat...

+1 all the time...wrapped up in a yoga mat. Very zen...cool.gif

• gnowellsct and Echolight like this

#41 Paradoxdb3

Paradoxdb3

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 24 May 2022 - 12:39 PM

I'm obviously late to the conversation, but I transport all my OTAs in the box they were originally shipped in. I put my 7" Mak in the box, which is padded with a small blanket that the OTA rests on inside the box, and then I place the box in the trunk of my car on a piece of 2" foam. I've been all over the place with this setup, and collimation is still bang on after dozens and dozens of trips, some of which are over 400km drives!

#42 Chad7531

Chad7531

Viking 1

• Loc: Defiance, OH

Posted 24 May 2022 - 01:05 PM

I'm obviously late to the conversation, but I transport all my OTAs in the box they were originally shipped in. I put my 7" Mak in the box, which is padded with a small blanket that the OTA rests on inside the box, and then I place the box in the trunk of my car on a piece of 2" foam. I've been all over the place with this setup, and collimation is still bang on after dozens and dozens of trips, some of which are over 400km drives!

Makes sense. The shipping people literally throw these things around and drop them and oops. I worked for USPS for a while last year, they literally throw them across the room into bins and then heavier stuff gets thrown on top and crush.

Edited by Chad7531, 24 May 2022 - 01:06 PM.

#43 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

Posted 24 May 2022 - 02:06 PM

I think some of us are talking about c8+fork versus c8 OTA all by its lonesome.  I don't think I'd put a c8+fork behind my driver's seat.  

But I wouldn't own a c8+fork.  To my eye they look ungodly, unnatural.  

Greg N

#44 rjacks

rjacks

Explorer 1

• Loc: Athens, GA

Posted 27 May 2022 - 12:20 PM

I use a large mouth toolbag, and I have padded the front, back,and bottom with foam.  Works great, has a handle, cost me $40.  

• Echolight likes this

#45 rhaskins

rhaskins

Viking 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 27 May 2022 - 02:31 PM

Cases

My 2 cents. I use the Celestron C8 padded bag for my C8's and my 8 inch EdgeHD with rings and dual bars. Works great. I use a StarGuy padded bag for my Vixen but they are no longer available. My mak and my refractors all use the factory padded bags. I really can't justify having an expensive scope in a position where I am not protecting it. All my other stuff, eyepieces, mounts, cameras, etc. are in hard cases.

I just bought a Orange tube C8 like pictured above. During transit the old footlocker case gave up the ghost protecting the C8. Case pretty well sprung but scope fine.

In the picture from left is the StarGuy case, the Celestron Case for the Edge and rings, and a c9.25 HD nylon case on the right. The edge is going to be using that so I don't have to mount my moonlite all the time.

• Patrick likes this

#46 fewayne

fewayne

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 28 May 2022 - 06:20 PM

Just to provide closure: I actually hauled my RC into Home Despot and got this:

https://www.homedepo...49208/314213514

With a couple inches of foam padding, the lid closes tightly, pinning the scope in place. There is plenty of extra room for other gear. I suspect I will probably build in some sort of rigid holder for some heavy things for which wheels would be nice (counterweights) and pick up some appropriately-sized serving-saver boxes on the cheap for cables, hand controller, the Pi, and other bits and bobs.

Conceivably I could figure out a way to secure the CEM70 to the outside of the thing upside down so I could haul everything in one trip. My new site (shout-out to the Madison Astronomical Society here!) actually requires more of a carry than did the state park, where I could set up right behind the car. 

• ccattie likes this

#47 PlanetMan

PlanetMan

Viking 1

• Loc: Upland, Ca.

Posted 28 May 2022 - 09:35 PM

I'm glad you found something that worked. For those still interested in other solutions, I recently picked up a Universal Astro case for 8" SCTs for Oceanside Photo and Telescope. It fits my Meade LX10, with Losmandy dovetail bar, like a glove, seems well made, and only cost about $55. I keep my diagonal in another bag, but I think there is enough length that one would could leave it mounted on the scope.

• peter k likes this

#48 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 29 May 2022 - 01:08 AM

With a couple inches of foam padding, the lid closes tightly, pinning the scope in place. There is plenty of extra room for other gear. I suspect I will probably build in some sort of rigid holder for some heavy things for which wheels would be nice (counterweights) and pick up some appropriately-sized serving-saver boxes on the cheap for cables, hand controller, the Pi, and other bits and bobs.

Conceivably I could figure out a way to secure the CEM70 to the outside of the thing upside down so I could haul everything in one trip. My new site (shout-out to the Madison Astronomical Society here!) actually requires more of a carry than did the state park, where I could set up right behind the car. 

looks perfect.

#49 rhaskins

rhaskins

Viking 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 29 May 2022 - 11:05 AM

That thing looks big enough we can put another set of steering wheels, battery, R/C controller and have it drive itself to the observing spot. Put a seat on top and it will take you also!  smile.gif

Rick

• fewayne likes this

#50 Cpk133

Cpk133

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 29 May 2022 - 06:45 PM

I put my c8 on the floor behind the driver's seat. I don't bother with a blanket. It's a snug fit so I don't worry about it flying around.

It's a c8 for crying out loud. Not a triplet APO descended from heaven.

For my c14, I put it on the rear seat and strap it in with the seat belt. Don't jam it against anything hard or like steel so that it scratches and you'll be fine.

I have carrying cases for the apos.

For something open tube that was a bit longer I probably would slip a heavy bag over it to protect the optics from dust and strap it in with the seatbelt.

Greg N

if you get pulled over driving like that, the cop may look at the C-14, see the C8 and start asking questions.  Next thing you know, you're getting a ticket for not having the kid strapped in an approved child seat.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics