•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LRGB M101

Astrophotography Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 taraobservatory

taraobservatory

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:45 PM

Hi there, 

Here is my attempt on M101. I am not sure I was unable to do it justice in Pixinsight because looking at my raw files I feel there is allot more information that I could have utilised had. 

But overall I am happy with the result and again, I don't want to crop all the other interesting stuff around the main objects. 

Any suggestions on how to properly work on galaxies would be great! 

Better resolution can be viewed here. https://astrob.in/btv2yc/0/

Kind regards

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• RGB_Master copy.jpg

Edited by taraobservatory, 14 May 2022 - 04:06 PM.

• c131frdave, Gregory, revans and 8 others like this

#2 idclimber

idclimber

Vanguard

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 14 May 2022 - 02:49 PM

Did you use dithering during your imaging session? Assuming you did you can integrate using drizzle integration. This will increase the resolution and address any under sampling you may had. This is the way to get more resolution from a smaller refractor if the seeing supports it. 

• taraobservatory likes this

#3 mhevey

mhevey

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:11 PM

Very good for your first go at this target given that it is only 50 min of integration time. The background is a bit dark (clipped) and assume that is due to the noise, which can be addressed by significantly more integration time. For a target such as this, having 6-12 hours (or more) of integration time will help to pull out the faint details without clipping the background. 

#4 taraobservatory

taraobservatory

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:10 AM

Did you use dithering during your imaging session? Assuming you did you can integrate using drizzle integration. This will increase the resolution and address any under sampling you may had. This is the way to get more resolution from a smaller refractor if the seeing supports it. 

Hello, 

Yes I do dither and I also integrate drizzle with WBPP.  But my skill with pixinsight is somewhat limited at the moment. Working on it :) 

I have a cabin at a dark site so seeing is quite good.  SQM reading is between 21.70-22.07. Depending on the moon phase of course and if there are clouds in the horizon. Its varies quite a bit. 

Clear skies 

#5 taraobservatory

taraobservatory

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:25 AM

Very good for your first go at this target given that it is only 50 min of integration time. The background is a bit dark (clipped) and assume that is due to the noise, which can be addressed by significantly more integration time. For a target such as this, having 6-12 hours (or more) of integration time will help to pull out the faint details without clipping the background. 

Hello, 

Looks like I have made a mistake. What I meant to say was 10 frames pr filer LRGB and 300sec. But it s not nearly as much as 6-12 hours. Ill be working on this image next season. Now summer is here and we dont have darkness up here in the north during these months unfortunately. 

Kind regards 

Roger 

#6 idclimber

idclimber

Vanguard

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:45 AM

Hello, 

Yes I do dither and I also integrate drizzle with WBPP.  But my skill with pixinsight is somewhat limited at the moment. Working on it smile.gif

I have a cabin at a dark site so seeing is quite good.  SQM reading is between 21.70-22.07. Depending on the moon phase of course and if there are clouds in the horizon. Its varies quite a bit. 

Clear skies 

That sounds like significantly north of my location. I am guessing someplace like Talkeetna. That location is awesome in May. 

#7 taraobservatory

taraobservatory

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 01:34 PM

That sounds like significantly north of my location. I am guessing someplace like Talkeetna. That location is awesome in May. 

Latitude isn't far off but its a bit further east. Norway :) 

• Wildetelescope and idclimber like this

#8 taraobservatory

taraobservatory

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:32 PM

I have now uploaded a revised version where the black isn't so black :)

#9 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Gemini

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:23 PM

Hi there, 

Here is my attempt on M101. I am not sure I was unable to do it justice in Pixinsight because looking at my raw files I feel there is allot more information that I could have utilised had. 

But overall I am happy with the result and again, I don't want to crop all the other interesting stuff around the main objects. 

Any suggestions on how to properly work on galaxies would be great! 

Better resolution can be viewed here. https://astrob.in/btv2yc/0/

Kind regards

Roger

I think you sell yourself short!  This looks great to me!

JMD

#10 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 16 May 2022 - 02:49 PM

That's a fine start!

You could try some noise reduction, and that would help clean it up a bit.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics