•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to me Solarmax 90 etalon, Full Disk 5-12-2022

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hopskipson

hopskipson

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 14 May 2022 - 04:22 PM

It's been a while since I've been able to do any imaging but I have been acquiring some new equipment.  I found a Tucson-era SM90 on Astromart.  It needed repair and Lunt suggested a shop in Tucson.  It took about a month and a half but I have to say it was worth the wait. It shows chromospheric details with no tilt and comes on band with minimal tilt.  Of course, the weather and my schedule didn't match but I managed to squeeze in some time on Thursday.  Visually this is as good as it gets lots of contrast and uniformity. I use it on an ES102ed with a 30mm blocking filter.  I captured these with an ASI1600mm.  I think I have to lower the histogram fill as the ARs seem to get blown out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2022-05-12-2248_8-U-L-Sun_79427_lapl4_ap2807ImPPGps.jpg
  • 2022-05-12-2250_1-U-L-Sun_61924_lapl4_ap2784ImPPGps.jpg
  • 2022-05-12-2257_8-U-L-Sun_68129_lapl4_ap2809ImPPGps.jpg

• ifly, rigel123, Ljubo and 4 others like this

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Voyager 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 14 May 2022 - 04:30 PM

Nice discs James!

Uniformity has issues, might just be tuning, the last image has a central band, and the first two have two off center hot spots, I'd be curious to see if this is tuning or if its uniformity is just like that. Hard to find these old etalons. Very cool you found someone who could even attempt to repair!

Very best,

• hopskipson likes this

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 14 May 2022 - 05:07 PM

Nice discs James!

Uniformity has issues, might just be tuning, the last image has a central band, and the first two have two off center hot spots, I'd be curious to see if this is tuning or if its uniformity is just like that. Hard to find these old etalons. Very cool you found someone who could even attempt to repair!

Very best,

Thanks for the comments.

Time was very limited and seeing made it hard to tune and find the sweet spot.  I noticed the banding once I started processing in ImPPG.  Learning a new system will take a few more, longer sessions

• MalVeauX likes this

#4 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:23 PM

Very nice set James.
  • hopskipson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics