•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Annotating "faint" objects in PI

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 05:12 PM

Is there some way to extend the data base used in PI for image annotation ? I have tried to annotate many images this "Galaxy Season" and even having PI label the M catalog, NGC/IC and PGC galaxies, it's still missing a good 30% of the fainter galaxies I can see in the background. It's a "good problem" to have, shooting from my Bortle 5+ backyard, and it's mostly for curiosity sake, but I was wondering if there are other deeper catalogs that can be added and automated in the annotation process. My Pleiades photo from last fall is an excellent case in point. PI only labels the very bright PGC 13696, when dozens more are easily visible.

(It's funny how I consider PGC 13696 as very bright now...I remember back 8-9 years ago when we were astounded to first realize it was there...)

Edited by 17.5Dob, 14 May 2022 - 05:22 PM.

• hornjs likes this

#2 colinrm

colinrm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:54 PM

Try adding the SDSS catalogue(s).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics