•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Being cursed for the lunar eclipse Sunday

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:03 PM

In Toronto, we've had about 10 days of clear weather.  Of course tomorrow to Monday is rain!!

• George N, weis14 and 4BINNI like this

#2 ColdyNitesNC

ColdyNitesNC

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, Ca

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:23 PM

Sounds like your weather might be more effective in obscuring the moon than earth's shadow.

• 4BINNI, ram812 and CowTipton like this

#3 John Miele

John Miele

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:25 PM

Arrgghhh...I feel for you...bangbang.gif

I have a chance, but it's always hit or miss right up to the last minute. Here in Alabama the "pop-up" thunderstorm season is just about to start. That means late afternoon violent thunderstorms can happen any day regardless of the forecast...

• Starseeker74 likes this

#4 Bab85

Bab85

Lift Off

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:33 PM

Forcast here in Nevada was showing a clear Sunday until today. It updated as cloudy. Fingers crossed 🤞
  • RichA likes this

#5 Starseeker74

Starseeker74

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:38 PM

It has been clear here in Oklahoma City during the day. Then at night a thin layer of clouds cover the entire sky. It is just enough to prevent observing. I did get to observe the Sun today so that was nice. Anyway I sent a email to the local meteorologist and told him to knock this crap out. lol.gif 

• weis14, 4BINNI, ram812 and 1 other like this

#6 weis14

weis14

Apollo

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:48 PM

Same story here in Michigan.  Definitely will be cloudy tomorrow.  I'm travelling to Chicago for work and if I'm lucky, the sky will clear up some around 11pm CT and let me catch the last part of totality.

• Starseeker74 likes this

#7 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:32 PM

Same story here in Michigan.  Definitely will be cloudy tomorrow.  I'm travelling to Chicago for work and if I'm lucky, the sky will clear up some around 11pm CT and let me catch the last part of totality.

There is a cold front moving in here and I hope there are  some clear breaks.

#8 ram812

ram812

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:34 PM

PNW is clouds and rain, and the eclipse will start prior to full astro darkness. I'll look at Lunar imaging for pics, this time😥.

CS, somewhere, Ralph😃
  • CeeKay likes this

#9 CeeKay

CeeKay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:08 PM

Partially and mostly clouds from 5 to 9 local time... rain moving back in after that.frown.gif

• ram812 likes this

#10 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:20 AM

Clear skies forecast for DFW up until 2 days ago... I have seen these forecasts change hourly in the past, from clear skies to severe thunderstorms, and then back to clear or partly cloudy... I have learned to operate on the 50% rule... there is always a 50% chance I'll get a clear patch of sky... lol.gif

Keep looking up!

CB

• RiderRoy and Starseeker74 like this

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:35 AM

We've been having clear weather, with some marine layer late night and morning cloudiness. 

Today it's supposed to be clear for m 3 pm until midnight but the clouds can roll in off the Pacific just about any time. Near the coast, they're not very good at predicting the marine layer, it's very local. But if the clouds do roll in, we can hop in the car and drive a few miles east and it will be clear.

Jon

• CeeKay likes this

#12 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Cosmos

• Loc: Perry, GA USA

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:50 AM

Yep, I am pretty well dead here in middle Georgia.

#13 CeeKay

CeeKay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:13 AM

We've been having clear weather, with some marine layer late night and morning cloudiness. 

Today it's supposed to be clear for m 3 pm until midnight but the clouds can roll in off the Pacific just about any time. Near the coast, they're not very good at predicting the marine layer, it's very local. But if the clouds do roll in, we can hop in the car and drive a few miles east and it will be clear.

Jon

Ah, yes.... the "June Gloom" in SoCal (grew up in Garden Grove)

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:24 AM

Should be an exciting night where I live - forecast = clouds, rain, boomers, heavy winds, possible tornados..... See the moon? not likely.

#15 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:27 AM

We will be showing live views of the eclipse from McDonald Observatory. Weather here is looking good:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZX2JafMmO4M

• George N, RichA, Nucleophile and 2 others like this

#16 Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Desdenova

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:30 AM

We're looking at clouds and rain today (Sunday) but the forecast thinks it'll start clearing around 10pm. Thats just around the beginning of totality here. Maybe I can get some shots of the blood moon over a thunderstorm.

#17 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:34 AM

Everyone here probably knows this, but go out unless it's raining. Clouds can add to the drama of a lunar eclipse and you don't need a fully cleared sucker hole to see something. 

The only guaranteed way to miss it is not to look.

Good luck

• Special Ed, RiderRoy and DouglasPaul like this

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:43 AM

Ah, yes.... the "June Gloom" in SoCal (grew up in Garden Grove)

May Gray and June Gloom..

San Diego is different from LA. LA is a large flat basin so escaping east to the mountains doesn't work too well. San Diego has a narrow coastal corridor pushed up against the foothills and mountains. I'm 5 miles from the ocean, 5 miles to the east is very often more than enough for clear skies.

Less than 50 miles and you can be at 4000 feet and above the marine layer, less than 60 miles and you can be at 6000 feet.  Once you're above the marine layer, it serves to block the light pollution from the populated coastal regions, those are the darkest nights.

Jon

• jcj380, CharLakeAstro and CeeKay like this

#19 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:54 AM

We won't have any luck here in NJ tonight. Cloudy with a chance of showers tonight. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#20 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 May 2022 - 10:21 AM

It's  a clear night with mild temps, little wind for tonite....I'm gonna be outside.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#21 gw_dra

gw_dra

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 15 May 2022 - 11:11 AM

I was so excited that my new telescope showed up before the lunar eclipse, and the weather was looking like it was going to be clear until I checked again yesterday... Now rain until midnight, then clouds until 2 am.....

Maybe the curse of a new telescope?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#22 jcj380

jcj380

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chimptown, USA

Posted 15 May 2022 - 11:17 AM

Fat band of clouds moving in from Iowa as I write this.  There might be some breaks, but I'm thinking probably not.  Figures.

cloudy.gif

#23 StarWolf57

StarWolf57

Apollo

• Loc: Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA

Posted 15 May 2022 - 11:37 AM

Partly cloudy here... so we'll see.

#24 Sketcher

Sketcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Under Earth's Sky

Posted 15 May 2022 - 12:05 PM

Everyone here probably knows this, but go out unless it's raining. Clouds can add to the drama of a lunar eclipse and you don't need a fully cleared sucker hole to see something. 

Yes, go out and look for the eclipsed moon regardless of your weather.  I've seen many lunar eclipses and I fondly remember one that was observed while thicker and thinner clouds (never with a clear opening) took turns passing in front of the moon.  One will miss out on a lot of the pleasures in this hobby if one insists on perfect or near perfect conditions before looking for something special in the night sky.

I got an excellent view of Comet Hyakutake, when closest to earth, from a perfectly clear, pristine, moonless sky at 3am local time on a night that was predicted to be completely cloudy.  It was snowing when I went to bed earlier that night.  But I woke up at the right time, stepped outside, and there it was -- one of the most spectacular astronomical sights in the history of the world smile.gif

I got good views if stria in Comet McNaught's tail, while the comet's head was below my horizon -- through a narrow break in the clouds along my western horizon when my sky was more than 99% cloud covered -- seriously!  I'm not making this stuff up.

For tonight's eclipse, it's looking like I'll have a clear sky; but even skies that are predicted to be clear can turn sour.  The only way to really know is to go out and look.  And for a (relatively long duration) lunar eclipse, it's good to make frequent trips outside even (or especially) if your previous peeks discovered nothing but thick clouds.  Local weather conditions can change in unpredictable ways.

Good Luck to all!  And as always, enjoy all that you can see; and don't be too concerned about what you can't see.  Lunar eclipses are quite common considering the length of a typical human lifespan.  I've seriously lost count of how many I've seen . . .

• bobthruspace, payner, bunyon and 1 other like this

#25 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Posted 15 May 2022 - 01:08 PM

It seems that there is always a Full Moon clearing, except, of course, when there's a lunar eclipse. wink.gif 

The astronomy-related forecasts seem to be improving for my area so there's a glimmer of hope.

• George N and jcj380 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics