•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dolly style wheel setup

Dob DIY Orion
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Starseeker74

Starseeker74

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:33 PM

Hello everyone. 

I am working on adding some wheels to my 12 inch dob. I'm just adding a couple of lawn mower wheels to help me move it around the yard. Instead of going the route with adding wheelbarrow handles and tires to move it I am going to have the wheels permanently mounted. The idea is to lock the OTA in the upright position then just tilt the scope and move it around like you would a dolly. 

I have not figured out a way to lock the scope in the upright position so I was wondering if others set their scope up like that and how do they lock the OTA?

Thank you

Aaron

#2 Jared b

Jared b

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:49 PM

A quick and easy solution would be to mount the wheels to the back. Then get a role of Velcro (the kind that has hooks on one side and loops on the other) screw it to the inside wall of the front bulkhead. Then wrap it around to lock it in. Me personally, I would add a chunk of styrofoam with one side cut to the curve of the tube to cradle it and keep it from bashing into the front bulkhead. 

• Starseeker74 likes this

#3 Starseeker74

Starseeker74

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:06 PM

A quick and easy solution would be to mount the wheels to the back. Then get a role of Velcro (the kind that has hooks on one side and loops on the other) screw it to the inside wall of the front bulkhead. Then wrap it around to lock it in. Me personally, I would add a chunk of styrofoam with one side cut to the curve of the tube to cradle it and keep it from bashing into the front bulkhead. 

I considered doing something like that but I was worried if the wheels would get in the way. They are just typical 6"X1.25" lawnmower wheels. On the front bulkhead there is a factory installed bolt that has a huge plastic head on it. It hits the bottom ring of the OTA to keep you from smashing the tube into the bulkhead.  

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:17 PM

Aaron:

There were two threads on this topic some years ago. 

https://www.cloudyni...hl= dob wheels

https://www.cloudyni...eels-revisited/

There is not a lot on how to secure the scope in place but you are 100% right that it is critical.  

Jon

#5 WillR

WillR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:53 PM

Locking the OTA seems like a simple enough thing- a pin on the bottom of the tube that goes through the base plate engaging both layers. Something like is used on double doors to lock one in place.

Edited by WillR, 15 May 2022 - 07:54 AM.

#6 Jared b

Jared b

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:56 PM

If you replace the Velcro with a tie down strap like this. It could handle the force. Then it doesn’t matter where you put the wheels. 

#7 Starseeker74

Starseeker74

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:50 PM

Looks like people are saying that putting the wheels on the back is ok for a mid sized scope. Since mine is a 12" solid steel tube, I think that it could work that way. It isn't going to hurt to experiment a little bit to see what works. Thanks to everyone for the great ideas and food for thought,

#8 Waynosworld

Waynosworld

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver Washington

Posted 15 May 2022 - 01:35 AM

I put my wheels on the front of my dobs so when I tilt it it is like I am just tilting it near the horizon to look at M41.

I made my 10 GSO portable, but my 12" was easy to lock the tube, this is how I locked it, you can see the bolt low in the middle of the base piece in the photo that holds the piece of plywood that I move to the upward position when moving it.

DSC00347.JPG

Then if you made two brackets that hold the axle with the wheels and bolt them to the sides of the mount when you tilt it over it will come up onto the wheels using the top of the tube as a handle, it is too late to make what I am talking about, but these are the brackets I made for my 20" dob.

DSC00135.JPG

DSC00132.JPG

You would need to make something much simpler, one bracket on each side with two bolts holding it on like wheel barrow handles.

#9 Jared b

Jared b

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2022 - 03:50 PM

In my original post I was not sure the Velcro and a short screw would be strong enough to apply the force necessary to tip and move the scope, especially over bumps. By placing the wheels on the back the force is placed on the front bulkhead. By using the tie down strap and heavier faster (or if I’m correct the sides  have openings in them, just take the strap and run it through those, around the front of the rocker and the back of the tube.) then there is no problem with placing wheels on the front and using the tube as the fulcrum.

#10 Starseeker74

Starseeker74

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 04:45 PM

One of my other hobbies is amateur radio. So like most hams I have the pile of broken antenna parts in the back yard. I found a nice piece of chain link top rail and made brackets using that. It seems to be strong enough. I just need to attach them to the rocker box. I am hoping to get it finished soon for the eclipse tonight. It will be nice to roll the scope around the yard instead of taking it apart, move to a different patch of sky not blocked by trees and set it back up. 

#11 Waynosworld

Waynosworld

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver Washington

Posted 15 May 2022 - 11:01 PM

I guess I forget details sometimes, when you use the tube assembly/UTA assembly and you have wheels you need a way to hold the telescope in the base, not necessary if your using a hand truck, a strap firmly around the loser assembly might be enough, it depends on your mount connection, my Zhumell has the small bearing so if I were to put wheels on it like my large dobs I would put pieces of metal over the side bearings to keep them in the mount.

All my large dobs have ways of locking the base to the mirror cell frame/side bearings, on my 10" GSO I put a sort of blind nut in the tube assembly, and I drilled a hole in the mount and I use a knob to lock the tube to the mount.

DSC00234.JPG

I then put a piece of plywood across the base to keep it from rolling to the side.

DSC00253.JPG

And I use a dolly, you can see it has springs on the sides also to keep the tube in the mount.

DSC00251.JPG

That photo I posted of my 20" bracket, it is a complicated bracket, it holds the wheel axle/wheels and my side bearings in place when lifted, yet the side bearings work normally, in the second photo of it in the air you can see the back bracket that holds the base bearing, very simple to use as that back bracket is the only one I need to deal with when I move it around, I just twist it up and lock it so I do not lose it.

It will take some thought to make something that is not a hassle to use, making it easy without a lot of stuff to deal with is the best, all my other dobs have 4 lock knobs that lock the mirror cell/side bearings to the base and they have to be removed to use the dob and could get lost, since you need to move it while in use, use what you have made, but think of an easier way if you can that you only need to use one device to lock it and unlock it without removing it, maybe a velcro strap will work as long as it is not removable, perhaps connected to the inside of the mount on both sides, but the tube assembly cannot lift out of the mount, that is a disaster waiting to happen if it will lift out.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dob, DIY, Orion

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics