•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Crack at Sgr A*

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mid Atlantic, USA

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:55 PM

You've probably heard by now that we have an image of Sgr A*—the black hole at the center of our galaxy. The Event Horizon Telescope Collaboration published the image on 12 May 2022—after a whopping 5 years of processing:

SgrA.jpg

[Source]

Having oogled, imaged, and studied the core of the Milky Way for 5 years, I know the approximate location of the galactic center—about 1/4 of the way from 2 Sgr to HIP 87220. But the press release of the black hole piqued my curiosity as to how I well had captured it. Sadly, the longest I shot it was at 50mm—there were no nebulosities between the Lagoon Nebula and the Lobster Nebula worth shooting, so I only ever shot it at wide field.

Still, I wondered…

So I pulled up the stack from my last shot of the Great Sagittarius Star Cloud—shot last July from a Bortle 1 site:

get.jpg?insecure

Surely I captured something!

I pulled up Sgr A*'s exact location in Stellarium. I made a screen grab, and I gingerly overlayed the coordinates and star field on a highly-zoomed view of the region in my image. And there it was:

gallery_273658_12412_60288.gif

So here is my rendition of our central black hole, covered by one 3.9 arcsec pixel:

SgrA_px.gif

For reference, the glowing event horizon in the published image of Sgr A* is 0.16 milliarcseconds across. So I have a reasonable degree of confidence that the light I captured from it is entirely contained in the pixel. laugh.gif

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 14 May 2022 - 07:59 PM.

• R Botero, nebulasaurus, Anthony236J and 13 others like this

#2 ram812

ram812

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2022 - 08:13 PM

Looks good....☺. Really, though. I can't wait for JWST to point that way. But I like your pixelated rendition with SagA* overlay. Great catch
Now, if we could just SEE it😉😁!

CS, Ralph😉

#3 vidrazor

vidrazor

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:51 PM

Looks good....☺. Really, though. I can't wait for JWST to point that way. But I like your pixelated rendition with SagA* overlay. Great catch
Now, if we could just SEE it!
CS, Ralph

...but.............................................................it's black...

• SandyHouTex likes this

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 07:51 AM

Technically, the superheated gases on the event horizon are as hot and bright as the surface of our sun. Their orbital period (at an orbit the size of Mercury's) is a matter of minutes, which produces a lot of friction. But the galactic dust is thickest along the Great Rift, and Sgr A* is at the dead nuts center. So very few visible photons make it to us; and indeed, I can't help but wonder exactly how many photons that registered on my pixel were actually from Sgr A*. I'm going with >1.

• ram812 likes this

#5 kathyastro

kathyastro

Skylab

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 15 May 2022 - 08:39 AM

I can see why they call it a black hole!

• ram812 likes this

#6 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:19 AM

Well it was certainly black-ish in my image! But the just the size of the event horizon presents a greater challenge: the dust notwithstanding, no amount of point spread from any of my optics is going to pick up a sun-luminoisty-level, Mercury-orbit-sized source at 27,000 light years. Even if it did, my most extreme setup gives me a spatial sampling of 50 milliarcsec—about 1000 times too big for any detail.

The EHT team used a telescope with the diameter of the Earth and a wavelength of 1.3mm for their image. By my calculus, that gave them a resolution (Rayleigh criterion) of 0.026 milliarcseconds! jawdrop.gif

#7 Dagryl

Dagryl

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Claremorris, Ireland

Posted 15 May 2022 - 03:15 PM

Here you can check a pretty good video about the image.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Q1bSDnuIPbo

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2022 - 03:33 PM

A nice description of angular resolution and interferometry, too!

#9 BucketDave

BucketDave

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:12 PM

If you squint at it, isn't one of the pixels SLIGHTLY brighter than the others..... or have i i halecmd too much beer?

Good effort for trying to locate it. If I tried with my LX85 mount, it would either:
A) smear it over 10 arc seconds, or
B) suffer a loose encoder wheel and point at my garden hedge instead.

0.001 arc seconds? Must have been a computing nightmare to get all those images in-phase.

PS. At 50 degs N, the garden hedge is not so far off Sag A*. I envy you folks who can see it at a sensible altitude.

Clear skies!
Bucket

#10 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:29 PM

I don't know…it might be your monitor. Or maybe mine. With enough beer, blame is unimportant! (And the LX85 is more tolerable, too.)

Sadly, I'm now at 40˚N. Well, it would be sad if the sky wasn't always so bloody cloudy. And for that, there's just not enough beer…

#11 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2022 - 03:22 PM

It's so black, it made me see all the dust on my monitor. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics