•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What iOS app should I use for in phone astrophotography?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chanrobi

chanrobi

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2022 - 02:07 AM

I saw some pretty incredible smartphone photos off a pixel 6 recently on IG.

And it's got me thinking for those times when I don't have ANY equipment, just my phone -- what should I use? There seems to be a plethora of apps that allow at the very least, manual exposure length control ...

But before I drop my $ on any of them, has anyone used these for iphone? Recommendations?

#2 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:24 AM

NightCap is pretty robust.  I used it in connection with my 8" telescope before I purchased a real astrophotography setup.  It worked admirably for such modest equipment.  It sounds like you don't have a telescope of any kind, so you'll want a tripod with a phone mount to stabilize your phone.

#3 chanrobi

chanrobi

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:45 AM

NightCap is pretty robust.  I used it in connection with my 8" telescope before I purchased a real astrophotography setup.  It worked admirably for such modest equipment.  It sounds like you don't have a telescope of any kind, so you'll want a tripod with a phone mount to stabilize your phone.

I've got a basic ioptron skytracker + DSLR (135mm) setup, but I wanted something that I have with me all the time, which is my phone.

I'll check out nightcap thanks!

I really like the idea of pushing the envelope in terms of minimal equipment and astrophotography

Edited by chanrobi, 16 May 2022 - 10:45 AM.

• Cali likes this

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:55 AM

Emphasis on "REAL" astrophotography.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics