•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

possible flats mistake . . . will it work?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gatehealing

gatehealing

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:15 PM

I am using an adjustable white flat screen for my Flats light source. I have been getting it adjusted so that my exposure time is about 3.5sec. I seem to remember 2-4 sec is better than setting to Automatic exposure time in asiair pro.

(camera is asi2600mc pro)

Here's the thing. I was shooting new flats for a new UV-IR filter that was a little dusty to process last night's subs. I mixed up the exposure time understanding for bias and flats, and went for 0.2 sec, and adjusted my light source so that my ADU average was ~30,000. Unfortunately, I had cleaned off my filter before I realized the issue (I was just going to reshoot flats after next shoot), so I cannot just re-shoot the flats as the dust motes are gone.

Will my 0.2 sec ~30,000 adu average flats work ok? I think so, and will try it just to see, but wanted to get an idea of if I even need to worry about this in the future (assuming I don't blow off glass first) . . . ie, if I do this again, am I ok to just leave it since the adu average is correct and the motes are correct.

Thx!

Jon

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:52 PM

30,000 ADU (16 bit) on a 2600 is absolutely fine for flats.  It's not a mistake.

Edited by bobzeq25, 16 May 2022 - 01:52 PM.

• jdupton and OldManSky like this

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:57 PM

Bob's right.

And as the 2600MC isn't one of the few sensors that have problems with very short exposures, there shouldn't be any issue at all.

#4 gatehealing

gatehealing

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 16 May 2022 - 02:49 PM

Great! Glad that the short exposure for flats won't be an issue for this.

Thanks!

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics