•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Only seeing black screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 That Astronomer

That Astronomer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Euless,Texas

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:34 PM

Hey so I am using ym canon t3 with my exoplore sci ed102 telescope and when I go to live view to look for stars to align my telescope I only see black, I am not able to see any stars and I have even tried changing the setting but I still only see a black screen, and then I tried to connect it to APT and look at live view on there but I seem to only see a black empty screen please help. Thanks

#2 Dren

Dren

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:41 PM

Hey so I am using ym canon t3 with my exoplore sci ed102 telescope and when I go to live view to look for stars to align my telescope I only see black, I am not able to see any stars and I have even tried changing the setting but I still only see a black screen, and then I tried to connect it to APT and look at live view on there but I seem to only see a black empty screen please help. Thanks

My guess would be that your exposure duration is too short or you are out of focus.  Have you tried taking a long exposure shot, like 10-30 seconds? 

For focus, it's probably easier to focus on something really bright, like the moon.  Or you can focus on an object far far away during the day, and fine-tune the focus at night.  

• RedLionNJ likes this

#3 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Soyuz

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:54 PM

I believe that live view images are shot at 1/30 second. It's doubtful that you'll see any stars in a random FOV. To focus, you need to point the scope at a very bright star, a magnitude 2 or brighter star. Set the camera's ISO to its highest value. If you're using live view to focus, add a Bahtinov mask in front of the objective to get instant feedback as you adjust the focuser. All astronomical objects, even the moon, are located at the same distance for your scope - infinity. Don't forget to remove the mask before starting your imaging.

• 17.5Dob and AstroCub like this

#4 stargazer julie

stargazer julie

Explorer 1

Posted 29 May 2022 - 12:41 PM

If you want to use live view for focusing, increase the ISO  a lot, focus on a bright star, then reduce the ISO. I think this may help. 

#5 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 29 May 2022 - 02:49 PM

Live view is video, so the frame rate is too high to see anything besides 1st-2nd mag stars. To see those, you still need to be in focus. It's far easy to simply take a 3-5" test shot and platesolve.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics