•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quantum 6 on San Francisco craigslist

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

While browsing the advertisements for the October 29, 2006 San Francisco craigslist, I happened to notice that there is a fairly rare Quantum 6 for sale. The advertisement does not have a photo of the scope, only a very brief description and price. [NOTE: I am not the seller of this telescope. I only noticed the advertisement on craigslist.]

There seems to be quite a few 4-inch Quantum Maksutov-Cassegrains around, but to see a 6-inch is unusual. These telescopes by Optical Techniques were made for only a short period of time in the late 1970s and early '80s. Does anyone know the precise production numbers for each model?

#2 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:22 AM

288 Q 6's and 645 Q 4's.

The Q 6's are obviously quite rare. But, interestingly enough, I know someone who recently placed a wanted ad on A-Mart for a Q6. He got several replies. I would bet this one in SF was one of the replies.

I have a VERY extensive restoration log that I may post here when I am done with my Q6. The Q6 is a fantastic scope. Equal to the Questar 7 in optical quality. Same mirror manufacturer, Cumberland Optics. And, you get a nice drive base too with the Q6.

But, some of the best Q 6's have silvered mirros and diagonal mirrors that may have deteriorated over time. This mean possible stripping and recoating, this means R&R of the primary. The focuser repair on this one is going to be the drive belt. That requires removal of the tube from the control box, popping the retainer clip for the focuser shaft, unscrewing the control box from the primary mirror housing, removal of several set screw sleeves to expose the belt, replace the belt and align the teeth, replace everything you did to get here, and then hope collimation is good.

If you are considering this scope, feel free to send me a PM for some insight into what to look for and parts that are available (or not).

If this scope is nice, you are going to be amazed how good a 6" MC can be!

Steve

#3 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:44 AM

I believe one, possibly two, Q8s were made as well. I'll call Rodger tomorrow and find out for sure.

Chris Lord has his Q6 up for sale (on Amart) but it hasn't sold yet.

Keith

#4 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:58 AM

Chris told me a couple weeks ago it was sold.

I am just finishing up my "Quantum Blue" one of a kind wedge and tripod and then I should be ready for some pictures.

Steve

#5 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

OK, here's the list of the really rare stuff that made it out the door...

Three or four Q8 Mak-Cass's.

One Q6 f4 Mak-Newt RFT.

About 50 Q100's (Q4s with no diagonal, just straight through focusing), about 15 sold without mounts.

About 15 Q150s, none sold with mounts.

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics