•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C102F Does anyone use it for imaging?

Astrophotography Celestron Classic Imaging Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mikeiss

Mikeiss

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:36 PM

I may be opening a can of worms with this question. And I'll start by saying I'm jealous of anyone that owns one of these things. But I'm not sure how jealous I should be. I've read lot's of reviews of people raving about the performance of Celestron C102F. However they are usually talking in regards to visual performance. I know it's basically F9, and seeing that it's an older telescope I doubt there is a dedicated reducer for it. I'm wondering if it could be paired with a different reducer like a standard .8x reducer or the Apex from Starizona. Would this even work? Or would you get some type of vignetting or some other aberration? Would you just have to live with imaging at F8.8 and then cropping the corners? I appreciate any and all feedback from you telescope wizardssmile.gif 

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 19 May 2022 - 01:18 PM

I'm pretty sure they made a reducer that brought the F102 to around f/5.47. But the real problem would be to actually find one. Astrophotography was not nearly as popular back in the F 102's day so there may never have been many sold. Certainly, far fewer reducers in circulation than the F 102 itself.

• Castor likes this

#3 Mikeiss

Mikeiss

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson

Posted 25 May 2022 - 03:05 AM

I'm pretty sure they made a reducer that brought the F102 to around f/5.47. But the real problem would be to actually find one. Astrophotography was not nearly as popular back in the F 102's day so there may never have been many sold. Certainly, far fewer reducers in circulation than the F 102 itself.

Thanks for the info, I doubt I'll ever get my hands on either, a man can dream though smile.gif 

• weis14 and Castor like this

#4 jjack's

jjack's

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: france

Posted 25 May 2022 - 07:36 AM

it is this one, shown here with a 1.1/4 diagonal. A rare bird. It was made for the vixen FL102 S. But it is the same scope as yours.

IMG_3820.JPG

Edited by jjack's, 25 May 2022 - 07:41 AM.

• Castor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Celestron, Classic, Imaging, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics