•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion 6-inch on Austin, Texas craigslist

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

While browsing the advertisements for the (October 27, 2006) Austin, Texas craigslist, I happened to notice a gorgeous Criterion RV-6 6-inch f/8 Newtonian for sale (ad number sale-226621611). [NOTE: I am not the seller of this telescope. I only noticed the advertisement on craigslist.] Members please provide a direct link to the website. It is described as:

CRITERION TELESCOPE - $200
"Criterion Telescope. Six Inch mirror. Various eyepieces."

These Criterion RV-6 reflector telescopes seem to be quite common on craigslist, with an average of 4-6 offered for sale each month. The selling price tends to be from $100 to $400, with the majority offered in the $200 range. To me this is quite amazing, since you can purchase an RV-6 for what it originally sold for thirty or forty years ago (this does not take into account inflation, either)!

This particular model appears to have an upgraded viewfinder, possibly a 50mm or 60mm. Opinions on the frequency of these old collectibles on craigslist? This is probably just an indication of the total volume of Criterion RV-6 telescopes sold new throughout the decades, which must have been staggering. Anybody care to hazard a guess as to the actual number?

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

>>>Opinions on the frequency of these old collectibles on craigslist?
----

I see them every so often. In the past year or two I have bought 2 of em, one from classifieds in the local paper. It was in quite good condition and I have spent many enjoyable nights with it. The other was on Craigslist, was in even better condition and was only $40. Those are the only two I have seen in this area.

I keep an eye on Craigs list and have found quite a few good bargins. Of course most scopes advertised are poor quality department store scopes and even worse but every so often something quite good comes up. Then I am set to pounce. I always tell the seller that I believe they could get more for the scope on Astromart and give them some pointers as to what I think the scope might be worth and how to advertise it. So far, two sellers have chosen that route, the rest appreciate my honesty but just want to get rid of the stuff.

My last "classic" purchase was a Meade 310 with mount, it just needed a good dusting, the glass was clean and the paint sparkled still, it was $50...

Anyway, back to the topic of RV-6's:

It does seem that $200 for one of these is quite a bargin. I have been mightly impressed with the optics, certainly an RV-6 is an interesting alternative to the workhorse 6 inch DOB. Similar features with a tracking mount that is quite DOB like in it use, typically quite good optics and a scope that seems to be pretty well designed thermally.

The going Astromart price seems to be more like $300-$400 and I think that is probably reasonable but at some point, I expect them to become more collectable. Craigslist prices are quite variable and I suspect most sellers have no idea what they are selling.

jon

PS: The scope in the photo is a Meade 314 I found a while back on Craigslist.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1225540-Meade 314.jpg

#3 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:59 PM

If an RV-6 in good condition is offered for $200 I think that is a true bargain. They typically have terrific optics and while the mount is nothing to brag about, it will track if balanced properly and with practice is easy to point. Personally I prefer an equitorial over a dob mount for star hopping. I think the more common asking price is around $3-400 dollars which is a fair price for one in good condition. Sure would be interesting to know how many were sold.
Bonco

#4 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:25 PM

Looks like the folks reduced the price of the telescope to $150. Wish I was in the South Austin, Texas area about now!

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

>>>Looks like the folks reduced the price of the telescope to $150. Wish I was in the South Austin, Texas area about now!
---

Well you can always Email them and see if they are willing to ship it. I have done this in the past and had some interest though it has never quite worked out.

Jon

#6 Joel F.

Joel F.

Apollo

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

$150 is an outstanding price!!

#7 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

Maybe its just me, but has the Classic Scopes list gone 'craigslist' mad? Perhaps we could create a separate thread for all these, maybe assign regulars to monitor specific areas of the country instead of the hit or miss system we have now? That would certainly make it easier for everyone reading. Of course we would have to trust that people wouldn't keep the 'sweeter' deals to themselves (this isn't EBAY after all). And there are other places to look for deals too. Maybe a 'what's out there' thread?

Jess Tauber

#8 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:23 AM

I got a RV-6 just a few months ago off Craigs list in Ohio for $100.00. As for a thread for Classic telescope available on... I tried to start one recently, nobody is populating it though so it is just fading away.. Here's the link... Classic Telescope Available On...

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:37 AM

Personally I think we ought to leave Craigs list to Craigs list. If you want to monitor Craigs list in your home town or region, then it is easy to do.

Jon

#10 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

Now listed at $125.00. I would get it if I were in Texas myself. Being in Wisconsin kind of ruins that for me.

#11 Selecter

Selecter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:44 PM

whatever sources are good for the purpose of obtaining vintage scopes facilitate the subsections purpose. It makes zero sense to start subjectively deciding which ones are better than others. Time Magazine, yeah I agree with that. Not related. But Craigslist ????? Thats the second biggest net ad venue there is after ebay.

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

>>>whatever sources are good for the purpose of obtaining vintage scopes facilitate the subsections purpose. It makes zero sense to start subjectively deciding which ones are better than others.
---

I am not quite sure what your point is. This forum is for discussing vintage scopes so it does seem that pointing out that Craigslist is a good source is appropriate.

On the other hand, I am not sure this forum is about pointing out every vintage scope that is available for purchase, maybe it is, I don't know. However since Craig's list is very regional, then it is of less value than pointing out a scope on Astromart or Ebay.

I think that as long as people are aware of Craig's list then they can check their own area.

I did Email the fellow with the scope in Austin and said that I was aware of someone who was interested if he could ship the scope. The seller thanked me but said he did not want to ship the scope.

Jon

#13 David Mc

David Mc

Lift Off

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

I just came across the thread concerning the Criterion RV-6 in Austin, Tx so I quickly joined the forum so I could reply. I bought that scope this morning for $125.00. Seems no one was willing to pay his higher price so he lowered it this morning. It's as nice as it looks in the photo. The mirror is in perfect condition and the drive works well. I've just come in from looking through it a few minutes ago and can attest the mirror is a very good one.
To make it even better, I sold most of the eyepieces today on Astromart and recovered most of my buying price (that will keep peace with my wife). My intention was to resell the scope but it's just too nice to let go so it will now join the other scopes that live in my home.
David Mc

#14 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:28 AM

How do you say "grrrrrrr" in French?

Jess Tauber

#15 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

This concerns posting information about collectible telescopes from craigslist on this website. How often do you run across these telescopes?

(1) Spacek 6-inch Newtonian for $175?
(2) Pristine condition Unitron Model 142 for $1,250?
(3) Quantum 6?
(4) Cave Astrola's BEST 8" f/5 Newtonian in superb condition setup for astrophotography and with many extras for $500?
(5) Tasco 10TE 3-inch f/16 refractor complete with literature and in near mint condition for $295?
(6) Criterion RV-6 with extra eyepieces for about $125?
(7) ESCO brand metal open-truss 6-inch for $100?
And countless others?

Postings give all collectors a fair chance at acquiring a piece of history for a fair price, and generate much discussion, not to mention photographs for those telescope archives. I for one would like to see this benefit to our forum continue.

#16 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:43 PM

This concerns posting information about collectible telescopes from craigslist on this website. How often do you run across these telescopes?

(1) Spacek 6-inch Newtonian for $175?
(2) Pristine condition Unitron Model 142 for $1,250?
(3) Quantum 6?
(4) Cave Astrola's BEST 8" f/5 Newtonian in superb condition setup for astrophotography and with many extras for $500?
(5) Tasco 10TE 3-inch f/16 refractor complete with literature and in near mint condition for $295?
(6) Criterion RV-6 with extra eyepieces for about $125?
(7) ESCO brand metal open-truss 6-inch for $100?
And countless others?

Postings give all collectors a fair chance at acquiring a piece of history for a fair price, and generate much discussion, not to mention photographs for those telescope archives. I for one would like to see this benefit to our forum continue.

I second this. Thanks John for posting these as well as your many writeups on classic telescopes !

Jae

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

>>>This concerns posting information about collectible telescopes from craigslist on this website. How often do you run across these telescopes?
---

The last RV-6 I bought was $40. I run across scopes like this reasonably often. I check Craig's list locally several times a day. Around here, that is what you have to do if you want to get the good deals. Before I buy a scope, I first let the seller know that he/she could likely get substantially more on AM and then if they still want to sell, I buy it. I think this is in the spirit of Craig's list.

I am not sure of the value of posting Craig;s list Nationally because most sellers do not want to ship. The RV-6 in Austin was a case in point. I contacted the seller and pointed out that there were folks who wanted that scope if he would ship it but the seller was not interested in shipping it.

Sometimes when I have nothing better to do, i will surf craigslist nationally and if I see what appears to be someone giving away something, I will contact them and suggest that they might do better on AM or else where. I think this is in the spirit of Craigs list... And yes, as I explained, I do the same thing right here when it is me that would be getting that super deal.

A while back I saw an interesting bicycle (I like bicycles too) on Craigs list. I kwew the bicycle exactly and it was my size. The seller finished the ad with "$100 NO HAGGLING."

I sent the seller an Email, asking a question or two about the bike and he replied:

"Yes, it does have stainless steel spokes etc... YOu can have it for free, I just wanted it to go to someone who appreciated it..."

There was no haggling.

I have a certain appreciation for Craigs list, I think it all those things that Ebay is not.

If you want to do Craigs list, I say go for it but I hope you do in the spirit of friend to friend...

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics