•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Startup alignment with Nina

Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ernst Marais

Ernst Marais

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2022 - 04:05 AM

My handset (Celestron CGEM mount) is not working anymore. I downloaded the virtual Celestron handset, but using it while looking through the viewfinder to align the scope is impossible. How do I do the initial, two-star and calibration star, alignment with NINA? 

Edited by Ernst Marais, 20 May 2022 - 04:06 AM.

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° N Utah

Posted 20 May 2022 - 06:18 AM

Are you using a planetarium program in addition to NINA? Like CPWI? When using my Evolution mount, I start CPWI first, Quick-Align and then check PA, then start NINA and just let CPWI run behind NINA. 

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 20 May 2022 - 07:25 AM

My handset (Celestron CGEM mount) is not working anymore. I downloaded the virtual Celestron handset, but using it while looking through the viewfinder to align the scope is impossible. How do I do the initial, two-star and calibration star, alignment with NINA? 

You don't need to.

Install ASTAP, tell NINA where it is for plate solving, and put in your scope's focal length.

Once you're all connected to your equipment, use the "Manual Focus Targets" tab in the main imaging screen to select a star.  Click the "Slew" button to have your scope slew to it.  It may or may not actually point to it.  Doesn't matter.

Go to the Plate Solving tab.  Make sure "Sync" and "Reslew to target" are checked.  Click the ">" button to start plate solving.

NINA will take an image, platesolve it through ASTAP, sync the scope to the solved position, re-slew to get to the actual position of the star you slewed to, and repeat until it's within the error set in the plate solving tab.

That's it.  You're done.  No need to do a 2-star or calibration star or any other "star alignment."  Platesolve and sync, and go image.

• Forward Scatter and Ernst Marais like this

#4 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 20 May 2022 - 09:48 AM

Ernst,

Does your HC still allow serial connection to your PC, or is is fully dead?

Whichever HC interface you use, you may need to line up the index marks on the mount before clicking the "quick align" in the virtual handset or in CPWI so the mount know where "Home" is. It'll probably make platesolving easier as the selected pointing spot will be closer to where the mount thinks it's pointing.

• OldManSky likes this

#5 Ernst Marais

Ernst Marais

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2022 - 10:19 AM

Thank you all for the answers. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics